New potential gun owner looking for some advice - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

New potential gun owner looking for some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for all the insight guys. i figured that would be the response i would get. im not into gun ownership to measure my dick, im into it because its a skill set id rather have and never have to use it then need to have and not know how to handle a firearm properly if that makes sense.

besides zombies are coming! haha
People Like This 
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1350 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 248

I have a 1911 GSG, which is the same as SIG, It is great to shoot and reliable.
I paid something like $350 for it at Buds discount guns. Go for it
img_0024_resized.jpg

Last edited by Dearhunter; 01-22-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #13

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I "graduated" to a .45 ACP. I am glad I did not start out on one. .22 LR is a great round to learn with. When it is available it is cheap, not near as loud, and has low recoil. There is nothing intimidating about it and there is a wide range of handguns to choose from in both revolver and automatic platforms. For a new shooter I almost always recommend either a .38 Special revolver or 9mm handgun. Screw what your buddies say unless they are going to loan you their pistols and supply ammo for you to learn. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 9mm for defense.

You'll see a lot of people here say "Go with what works/feels good for you" and I'll happily chime in on that advice. If all your buddies shoot Glocks and you just don't like the way they feel in your hand, don't buy a Glock. If you really like a Glock and everyone tells you how bad they are, buy it anyway. Just make sure you do your homework and crowdsource the hell out of this forum.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #14

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

There are many choices of 22 handguns. Include any made here in Arizona by the Ruger company. They make several models and all are good. Buy Arizona made products

Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
XsV

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
There are many choices of 22 handguns. Include any made here in Arizona by the Ruger company. They make several models and all are good. Buy Arizona made products
I've never been to Arizona, but I have many friends in Flagstaff and Phoenix area. And I gotta say... I do love me some mango Arizona, $0.99 cents I mean what a bargain!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #16

Liked 85 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I believe the basis of any handgun collection MUST be a good double action .357 Magnum revolver. In light of the recent panic buying and skyrocketing prices of high capacity semi-auto's it makes even more sense. Light .38 Spl ammo is inexpensive and easy enough to shoot you can build your skills. Heavy loaded .357 Magnum ammo has more power than just about any auto loader cartridge (except my beloved 10mm).

A good used Smith and Wesson Model 19, 65 or 66 is hard to beat and will not break the bank. A Ruger GP-100 is dead tough, albeit a bit heavier than the S&W.
I have to agree with Robo, my first handgun was a Taurus .357 revolver ran a lot of 38 Specials through it once I was proficient with it I then moved up to a .45 ACP Colt Combat Commander.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSStryker View Post

I have to agree with Robo, my first handgun was a Taurus .357 revolver ran a lot of 38 Specials through it once I was proficient with it I then moved up to a .45 ACP Colt Combat Commander.
Agreed, this is a good revolver to own as its suited for beginners (38 spcl) and can pack a nice punch (357 magnum) but nothing wrong with a 9mm not a wimp :-)

Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

find something that suits your needs and wants and shoot the snot out of it.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I would go with 9mm. Ammo is cheap enough to go to the range quite a bit and still effective for personal defense. 9mm is my caliber of choice because I can afford to shoot it at the range which makes me the most accurate with compared to my other guns. I never got this whole big vs. small caliber debate. For poor people like me their is no use in owning a .45 if I can't afford to shoot it :/

Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #20

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZStudent
Hey everyone! I have been researching handgun ownership for the past month or two and I think I am ready to bite the bullet. I have shot handguns/small cal rifles about a dozen times or so and have taken a handgun safety class at a local shooting range, so I am not a complete beginner to sure have a lot to learn to still.

Here's my main issue, I cant decide which caliber handgun to buy. My logic tells me that this is just like any other skill and that one should work there way up equipment wise as they become more skilled. For this reason I have been leaning towards a .22 or maybe a 9mm. That way ammo is cheap enough so I can get some practice under my belt before moving up. Right now my purpose for gun ownership is to just have fun, go out shooting cans in the desert, and master the basic skills of pistols.

However, I am obviously catching heat from my buddies who are already gun owners saying I should get a 40 or 45 because .22's and 9's are "wimpy guns" and I obviously know that but Im just trying to plink around at the moment.

So basically, should I just tell them to suck a fat one and stick with my gut and go the smaller caliber route or would I really be wasting money by getting a plinker? Sorry for the long post.
I was in your position just over a year ago. I started with a sig mosquito .23 the moved up to a sig p226 9mm. If you think it's whimsy tell it to the Navy Seals its their standstill carry/combat weapon. The reason for those two is they are the same platform but the .22 is 90% of the 236 with almost all the same control features. Haven't regretted the choices for a second. Good luck.
axxe55 Likes This