Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New potential gun owner looking for some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default New potential gun owner looking for some advice

Hey everyone! I have been researching handgun ownership for the past month or two and I think I am ready to bite the bullet. I have shot handguns/small cal rifles about a dozen times or so and have taken a handgun safety class at a local shooting range, so I am not a complete beginner to sure have a lot to learn to still.

Here's my main issue, I cant decide which caliber handgun to buy. My logic tells me that this is just like any other skill and that one should work there way up equipment wise as they become more skilled. For this reason I have been leaning towards a .22 or maybe a 9mm. That way ammo is cheap enough so I can get some practice under my belt before moving up. Right now my purpose for gun ownership is to just have fun, go out shooting cans in the desert, and master the basic skills of pistols.

However, I am obviously catching heat from my buddies who are already gun owners saying I should get a 40 or 45 because .22's and 9's are "wimpy guns" and I obviously know that but Im just trying to plink around at the moment.

So basically, should I just tell them to suck a fat one and stick with my gut and go the smaller caliber route or would I really be wasting money by getting a plinker? Sorry for the long post.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #2

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Suck a fat one for sure! Get what you want, what feels comfortable to you. There is nothing wrong with a 22 plinker and 9mm is probably the most popular pistol caliber around. Some don't like the feel of shooting the 40, I have one but that is my decision, I also have a 9 in the same gun.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
Suck a fat one for sure! Get what you want, what feels comfortable to you. There is nothing wrong with a 22 plinker and 9mm is probably the most popular pistol caliber around. Some don't like the feel of shooting the 40, I have one but that is my decision, I also have a 9 in the same gun.
Yeah I think I will just stick with my gut. Forgot to mention I've shot .22, 9mm, 40, and 45 before so its not as if I dont know how they all feel. If I stick in the .22 range Ive been looking at Walther P22's and the Sig Sauer 1911-22, anyone have experience with these? I like how the Sig is full size.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 316 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Might wanna wait until the frenzy dies down...gun prices are just nuts on certain models right now. I agree with blucoondawg....buy what YOU want....you're paying for it. Just make sure you can find ammo for your choice!

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #5

Liked 120 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 58

The Sig 1911 22LR is a fun gun to shoot, reliable and pretty accurate too. I have it because is fun and inexpensive to shoot. I also have two 45's and one 9MM in 1911. All three calibers are fun to shoot, but I shoot the 22 more because it is affordable and fun.

By the way I also have three other 22 cal handguns and a 22 rifle. I got'em because they are just plain fun to shoot.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I believe the basis of any handgun collection MUST be a good double action .357 Magnum revolver. In light of the recent panic buying and skyrocketing prices of high capacity semi-auto's it makes even more sense. Light .38 Spl ammo is inexpensive and easy enough to shoot you can build your skills. Heavy loaded .357 Magnum ammo has more power than just about any auto loader cartridge (except my beloved 10mm).

A good used Smith and Wesson Model 19, 65 or 66 is hard to beat and will not break the bank. A Ruger GP-100 is dead tough, albeit a bit heavier than the S&W.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #7

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

It is too bad you didn't jump on this two months ago when you got the itch. I bought a couple of guns I've been wanting right before all this went down and I am SO happy I did.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #8
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZStudent View Post
...However, I am obviously catching heat from my buddies who are already gun owners saying I should get a 40 or 45 because .22's and 9's are "wimpy guns" ...
It's people like this that make me so mad. You can tell your "buddies" that if the 9mm round was indeed wimpy then it wouldn't be the standard handgun round for the military.

My two cents, go for whatever you feel comfortable shooting. If you are worried about it's effectiveness outside of the range (such as home defense or concealed carry) then a 22 may not be the best but a good +p hollow point 9mm round will always do the trick.
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Anyone who says don't get a .22 because it's a "wimpy" gun is a twit. Everyone needs a 22.

That said, the first pistol I bought was a .40 because I was living in AZ at the time and it would have handled most anything I would come across in the desert. I probably would have bought a .45, but the .45's I could afford at the time were downright painful to shoot.

If you are thinking about plinking and having fun, get the 22. If you want something for protection, get something larger. BTW, there is nothing more flexible than a 357.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19495 Times on 11072 Posts
Likes Given: 49115

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZStudent View Post
Hey everyone! I have been researching handgun ownership for the past month or two and I think I am ready to bite the bullet. I have shot handguns/small cal rifles about a dozen times or so and have taken a handgun safety class at a local shooting range, so I am not a complete beginner to sure have a lot to learn to still.

Here's my main issue, I cant decide which caliber handgun to buy. My logic tells me that this is just like any other skill and that one should work there way up equipment wise as they become more skilled. For this reason I have been leaning towards a .22 or maybe a 9mm. That way ammo is cheap enough so I can get some practice under my belt before moving up. Right now my purpose for gun ownership is to just have fun, go out shooting cans in the desert, and master the basic skills of pistols.

However, I am obviously catching heat from my buddies who are already gun owners saying I should get a 40 or 45 because .22's and 9's are "wimpy guns" and I obviously know that but Im just trying to plink around at the moment.

So basically, should I just tell them to suck a fat one and stick with my gut and go the smaller caliber route or would I really be wasting money by getting a plinker? Sorry for the long post.
good for you! you have taken a positive and logical approach into getting a handgun. seems like you have given this some thought and consideration and i for one applaude your thinking this out.

get some new buddies as they are doing no good for you. you have already taken the logical first step in wanting something that is cheaper to shoot, so you can afford more to practice with. practice is what makes you a better shooter. if you can't afford enough ammo to spend quality time practicing, you will never become a better shooter.

my first suggestion is to hit the gun stores and pawn shops and look at what's available and what feels good in your hand. the pistol that fits you, is usually the one you will shoot the most accurately. set your budget and see what's out there. when you find something that suits you, then come back here and someone here probably either owns it and shoots it or has, and can give you some information on it. might save you from buying a lemon!

good luck to you!