New to pistols! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New to pistols!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It sounds like you want a rimfire pistol and a metal framed centerfire.

Rimfire: I'd strongly suggest a Ruger or Browning 22lr pistol. You can get into a great one for $300-500.

Centerfire: Try a few different guns, including the Beretta 92 you're enamored with. If you still love it after working it (and others) at the range, buy it. A lot of people don't like their overbuilt stature, but they are solid guns. Also check out CZ 75, Sig P220/226, and a Browning Hi-Power if you can get your hands on them.

1911: Between the three you mentioned, I'd lean toward Springfield. I have a couple friends who were longtime Kimber and Colt fans, respectively. Each has changed their tune in recent years, due to some quality issues they've witnessed and encountered. All three make fine firearms...SA just seems to be the safest bet and arguably offers the most gun for the money in my opinion.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #12

This is not for conceal carry or home defensive!! just to have and target shoot with if anyone was curious.

Im thinking of sticking with a Beretta 92FS or 92A1 for the 9mm. I really like browning firearms as i have them for both rifles and shotguns and they have been flawless and is the reason im going to look strongly into a buck mark for the 22LR. As for 1911, im still stuck. i have been doing some major research the past couple days and i am now debating in putting a couple hundred bucks more out and getting a decent one like a Dan Wesson Valor black. I really like the looks of these and the reviews on them are awesome! thats the route im thinking about

Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #13

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

As mentioned before - If you like Browning (as I do) You may consider looking at the Browning Hi-Power. Built on the 1911 type of frame. It's a medium weight large capacity mag. and an all around sweet pistol. I would be glad to post a pic of mine if your interested. The older one's have a full hammer and the only complaint was hammer bite if not careful. However, there is a fix for that now where the hammer can be replaced with a rounded and grooved one. Easy to pull and no more hammer bite. You've been getting great advice and I wouldn't have tapped in except for seeing that you have a liking for Browning Ams. Let me know if you would like a pic or two. I have replace my standard grips with rose wood grips. For two reasons. One, I like the contour of the custom grips in my hand and two, I wanted to keep the stock grips in mint condition in case I ever wanted to sell the pistol. Just my two cents.

No such thing as a "running start"
NRA, ILE, American Shooter