Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New to pistols!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to pistols!

I am new to this forum and pistol shooting and would liike to say hello to all. I just got my restricted license and am now shopping for my first pistols. I am a huge rifle and shotgun nut! any and every caliber rifle, and as many 12 gauges as a guy can get! I ran into an old friend whos new hobby is pistols and he took me to the range and got me hooked! I shot a Glock 9mm, S&W 44mag, Ruger 22LR.

I was hoping to get a couple different pistols. I would like a 22LR forsure, easy to use, ammo is cheap, and i own 3 22LR rifles as well which means i always have ammo around. I have not the slightest clue on a 22LR pistol though. second i was thinking of a 9mm. I have always loved the look of the Beretta 92FS and is where im going to be starting my search. finally, i love the traditional 1911 looks! 45 ACP in a Kimber, Springfield or Colt. Notsure which is best or what. I was looking for some suggestions please on calibers, and pistols.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Welcome! Stop in on the introductions thread for a real welcome and some useful links.

NEVER FORGET

Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Hello Matt - I'm no expert but will be happy to tell you what I shoot and how they work for me. First we will start small. I have a Walther p22. Shoots 22 longs and is a sweet little pistol for plinking, learing, getting your practice in, etc. .32 revolver - Nice little pistol and most use this type of pistol for a second carry weapon or ankle pistol. Center fire unlike the 22's so it's probably a little more dependable as far as mis-fires and such. Next would be the CCW or protection type of pistol. I have a .38 police special. 4 in barrel so it's pretty accurate at a little longer distance. However, It's a revolver of course and that's the 6 shot limit. Taurus 908. Nice little pistol. 9mm single and double action that gives you eight shots with a CCW type of pistol. Some use this pistol as a secondary as well because of the low profile and single stack configuration. Kel-Tec p11 - This is my CCW. I like it because it has a small profile but a double stack mag. I carry this pistol with a 15 round clip in the rack and an extra in the holster. Gives me 31 shells if I need it. Hold bcak on this pistol is that it's only double action. Long shooting practice with this one and your wrist is hurting. Browing Hi-Power - This is your 1911 style pistol. Single stack mag but large enough to hold 15 shells with one in the chamber. A heavy pistol that makes it nice to shoot (rule is a heavy pistol, lower recoil - lighter pistol, larger recoil) I love my Browing Hi-Power but is has a large profile and I only carry it under a jacket with a shoulder holster. Plus the older models have a large hammer and will bite your hand when shooting if not careful. This can be fixed though. SIG 229 - I have this chambered for 357 Sig. Big Pistol, Large ammo and fun to shoot. I can also chamber this pistol for 9mm and .40 cal if I want. .40 and 357 is going to be a big recoil. However, I love having this pistol just because of the ability to change cals. and keep in touch with every caliber. Taurus 945. 45 Caliber. Nice pistol, heavy fire and recoil but a sweet pistol none the less. Now - If I were just starting to shoot, I would maybe look for a heavy 9mm. Again, heavy is less recoil and can be used for protection as well as learning. 9mm shells are a good price. That's my line and input. Someone will have better advice I'm sure. All I can do is tell you what I've learned with my pistols. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of shooting.

No such thing as a "running start"
NRA, ILE, American Shooter

Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #4

Liked 1094 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Starting with the .22, my wife has the Ruger SR22 and it is a sweet shooting little gun. With 9mm me personally would go with Glock. I have a Glock 35 which is a .40 cal. Glock are super super easy to disassemble. If you looking at tge 1911s there are so many out there. The only problem is most of them carry only 8 in a mag.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #5

Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

I'd have to agree, a .22LR is the best caliber to start with.

Since it's primarily going to be a range and plinking

pistol, I recommend a Ruger SS- MKIII with a 6-3/4"

bull or slabside barrel. As Monk sez-"You'll thank me later."

Old 05-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1128 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 649

first pistol should be a .22lr for sure. now where to start. ruger mk2/mk3 and browning buckmark camper are the most common you will see. but there are many. the sr22 is nice, ruger single six. ruger sp101. ruger has alot of .22 pistols out right now just go to a LGS and say show me the .22's.

next i would say 9mm. reasonable power, yet cheaper ammo out of the main calibers. i suggest looking at a few models. ruger sr9 and sr9c, S & W MP9, Springfield armory XD 9mm, and the mentioned beretta m9. hold them see how they feel. maybe even rent/ find a friend who has one/some of them to shoot.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
first pistol should be a .22lr for sure.
I couldn't disagree more. The choice of caliber in a pistol should have nothing to do with experience. It should have everything to do with the guns intended use.

No matter what you start out with, if you one day decide to shoot a .50 you are still going to have to train yourself on that particular gun.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1

I couldn't disagree more. The choice of caliber in a pistol should have nothing to do with experience. It should have everything to do with the guns intended use.

No matter what you start out with, if you one day decide to shoot a .50 you are still going to have to train yourself on that particular gun.
I think there is merit in starting with a buckmark or ruger 22. Fundamentals of pistol shooting will more easily be learned if you take the punishing recoil of. 50 out of the equation. I could just see myself telling a newbie," now this time don't jerk the trigger, flinch and close your eyes on the second shot ever made with a pistol",if that were a. 50. Just my opinion.

NEVER FORGET

Old 05-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1

Yeah but you don't hand a s&w 500 to a new shooter. Starting with a .22 is a good way to get the basics. I know experienced rifle shooters who aren't ready to use a 9mm never mind something like the judge.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1128 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post

to each there own opinion

the OP stated he has .22 cal rifles. and hence has ammo on hand already.
as it seems it would be in the best interest of the OP.

OP, i just advise a .22. but at the very least a pistol you the shooter are comfortable handling.

example: handed my neice a .22lr she loved shooting it. asked if she wanted to try a 9mm. shot it twice handed it back.. prefered the .22. so a first pistol should always be a .22. learn the basics. cheap ammo. and 50 years later you will still be shooting it at the range.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 05-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.