New parts reliablity

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New parts reliablity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New parts reliablity

Last weekend I was at the range. Shot several guns. After putting about 150 rounds through my every day carry gun, (Colt Defender) parts fell out. Gun was jammed at half battery. Unloaded, took it home. Got the gun apart. I need some parts, which Colt actually has a recall on. They are gonna send them to me.
My question is: After repairing the gun,(parts are drop in) how many rounds do you all think I should run through the gun, with no problems, before putting it back on my hip? I'm thinking 250 flawless rounds? Thanks for your opinions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2010, 01:22 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That sounds right to me. I would be more comfortable with 500, but .45 is expensive ammo!

Sorry for your Colt problems.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5517 Times on 2882 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants View Post
After repairing the gun,(parts are drop in) how many rounds do you all think I should run through the gun, with no problems, before putting it back on my hip?
honestly there is no way to know when any gun is going to have a breakage. no magic formula. all you can do is know your personal defense weapon well maybe get a powerful magnafying glass and do parts inspection every 250 to 500 rounds looking for cracks and unusualy wear. replace the springs as recomended by the manufacturer after so many rounds etc.

the other thing is if your really worried about it is think about getting a backup piece. odds are very low that both guns would break at the same time.