New member...new pistol - Tanfoglio Witness
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New member...new pistol - Tanfoglio Witness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New member...new pistol - Tanfoglio Witness

First time poster!!!

I just purchased a Tanfoglio Witness full steel frame 9mm / 22 combo. It is a beautiful pistol for the money. Research I've done shows other caliber options exist, including 10mm.

Curious, if anyone here has a Tanfoglio set up as a 10mm? Is the frame/slide/action up to the task?

As well as being a first time poster at this forum, I'm somewhat of a pistol newbie.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 AM   #2

Welcome to firearms talk. Im new here myself. Be sure to go to the introduction portion of this site to tell everyone a little bit about yourself. If you have any questions everyone here seems to be very helpful.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:17 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My daughter, The Lovely Miss Freefall, bought a Tanfoglio Witness in 10mm about 18 months ago. She fired it about 80 times with American Eagle factory fodder, not exactly fireballs, and the the frame cracked above the safety, locking things up, and there was a small star fracture in the front right of the slide. Luckily she got her $ back, none of us will be buying another. YMMV.
ps. There are a few, if not several, posts extant on this subject. The search feature is your friend.

Last edited by freefall; 09-01-2011 at 04:19 AM. Reason: addendum

Old 09-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Before i bought my Witness 9mm/.22lr combo, i researched the hell out of it and it seemed i kept running into the same conclusions: The recoil springs were too soft and the frames did not hold up to anything higher than 9mm. I personally would not run a higher caliber on this platform as it seems to be really hit or miss with how long they will hold up to it.

I did stumble across this guide rod that claims to resolve the issue of frame abuse
Tanfoglio Guide Rods by Hennings Shop, Ships Overseas

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 09-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

EAA Witness 9mms are solid CZ 75 clones. They're good guns.

If you want a 10mm, buy one (don't try converting up). There are a couple Witness 10mm owners at my local range, and they're very happy with their guns. It's a lot of gun for the money. But I've heard many, many examples of the cracked slides and frames that freefall mentions above. It's not remotely uncommon.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #6

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
EAA Witness 9mms are solid CZ 75 clones. They're good guns.

If you want a 10mm, buy one (don't try converting up). There are a couple Witness 10mm owners at my local range, and they're very happy with their guns. It's a lot of gun for the money. But I've heard many, many examples of the cracked slides and frames that freefall mentions above. It's not remotely uncommon.
I own an EEA Witness 10mm and have had no issues with it.