Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New member needs some help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jon89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New member needs some help

Hello my name is Jon and I'm
From Tennessee. I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks and signed up a few days ago. I am looking to purchase a new pistol. I have a few rifles and shotguns so firearms are not
New to me but pistols are. I will be taking my carry permit in about a month. I am looking at xdm .40 but not sure on the size. I want to conceal carry but would like a gun that will be fun at the range. Thanks in advance for the help

__________________
jon89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

A lot of people like the .40, but a lot of people complain its recoil is too snappy. I have an XD45 with the geezer barrel (tactical/5") that has never had a failure on me. I don't concealed carry it.

Try to find a range or a buddy that will let you rent/try out a few different pistols before you spend $500+ on something you may not love.

http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp


IMO, most concealed carry pistols are about being compact, not about being fun at the range. I LOVE my cz75b for plinking, but i would hate to try to CC it. It is a bit heavy which makes it a deadnuts accurate plinker but less than ideal for carry. A small pistol is going to be easier to conceal but harder to control the recoil on.

I have a 9mm Bersa Thunder compact that I think is a good compromise between compact and controllable, but it might be a handful in a kickier caliber.

__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KimberFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 330
Liked 316 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
A lot of people like the .40, but a lot of people complain its recoil is too snappy. I have an XD45 with the geezer barrel (tactical/5") that has never had a failure on me. I don't concealed carry it.

Try to find a range or a buddy that will let you rent/try out a few different pistols before you spend $500+ on something you may not love.

http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp


IMO, most concealed carry pistols are about being compact, not about being fun at the range. I LOVE my cz75b for plinking, but i would hate to try to CC it. It is a bit heavy which makes it a deadnuts accurate plinker but less than ideal for carry. A small pistol is going to be easier to conceal but harder to control the recoil on.

I have a 9mm Bersa Thunder compact that I think is a good compromise between compact and controllable, but it might be a handful in a kickier caliber.



"Geezer Barrel"....ok, I really got a chuckle out of that....I have quite a few of them and I think it fits.

__________________

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

KimberFan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jon89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Thanks for the reply. I also have shot my brother in laws m&p .40 4.25 inch barrel I believe. If anyone has any options on some other pistols
I'd be happy to hear them as I'm fairly new to the pistol market

__________________
jon89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 167
Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Don't know what your budget is but you may want to try a Sig 239. It's not a composite so a bit heavy but concealable, slide release, due cocker ( both low profile to prevent snags). I was new to hand guns a year ago so I like having an exposed hammer for visual safety and the security of a due cocker. This was a follow-up purchase to my Sig 226. Both with night sights an very accurate. No FTE or FTF with over 5,000 rounds. East to field strip and clean no tools required. Good luck.

__________________
4sig is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jon89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I would like to stay under $700 even $600 if possible. A guy I work with has a sig and he really likes it but I have never handled one. My sister is getting a Glock 23 this week. I will shoot that and see how a Glock feels in my hands. I know a lot of people either love or hate them.

__________________
jon89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pistol_Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 67
Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I've got an xd 40 and its not snappy what so ever.

__________________
Pistol_Pete is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,613
Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Default

I owned a XDM 40 for probably 8 years. I just recently sold it. It is too large for CC in my opinion. It is a great gun, but it spent too much time in my safe.

I've shot 45's, 40's, 9mm, 380, 357. I would consider the 40 pretty snappy. It is not in same league as a 357, but it is snappier than the 9 or 45. I would not however deem that as a reason not to carry it. That depends on your comfort level.

__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
XsV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
XsV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Idaho Falls, ID
Posts: 52
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon89 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I also have shot my brother in laws m&p .40 4.25 inch barrel I believe. If anyone has any options on some other pistols
I'd be happy to hear them as I'm fairly new to the pistol market
If you liked the M&P take a look at the compact. Same caliber sizes but smaller overall size makes it easier to carry everyday. I haven't shot a full size M&P but my Dad's compacts were very easy to shoot, very little recoil in both 9 and 40.
__________________
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
XsV is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 167
Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon89
Hello my name is Jon and I'm
From Tennessee. I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks and signed up a few days ago. I am looking to purchase a new pistol. I have a few rifles and shotguns so firearms are not
New to me but pistols are. I will be taking my carry permit in about a month. I am looking at xdm .40 but not sure on the size. I want to conceal carry but would like a gun that will be fun at the range. Thanks in advance for the help
Take a look at the Sig 2022. Sound $500 and great reviews. Polymer so lighter too
__________________
4sig is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes




Newest Threads