Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New to me S&W 5903

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Default New to me S&W 5903

I stopped in Cabelas today so of course walked by the used gun case and there sat a nice 5903, which I sure didn't need but couldn't walk away from.

Field stripped it and couldn't find anything wrong. It's lightly used plus came with three magazines, the original box and paperwork for $379 which seems very good for Cabelas, especially since they throw in a 30-day warranty.

Anyway, I'm pleased with it and hope it shoots as well as my 5906 does. It has an alloy frame and weighs about 8oz less than the stainless framed 5906.

Of course there are pictures...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice purchase. Good price too...and 3 mags to boot. I love the 39,49 and 59 series S&Ws. I do believe you will love it as much as the 5906. Good luck and remember to post a range report.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 06-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #3

Thanks, UrbanNinja, I've also always loved the 39/59 S&Ws but never bought one until Feb when I got the 5906. Loved it so couldn't pass up this 5903. I must say I like the light weight alloy frame. From all I've heard they hold up to warm loads too.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #4

Yesterday at a LGS I found a nice LE trade-in S&W 6906 which is a compact version of the 5903 I got last year. Both have alloy frames and stainless slides. I just love these 3rd Gen S&W autos! (I also have the 5906 which is the same size as the 5903 except has a stainless frame.)

This 6906 has holster wear and some nicks and scratches but I bet it doesn't have 200 rounds down the tube. It was made very recently in 2006 and issued to the CA Dept of Corrections. The price was reasonable at $380 so I couldn't walk away from this one. It really feels good in my hands and only weighs about 26 oz. Unfortunately it only came with one 12-round mag but accepts the 15 and 17 round mags from my 5906 and 5903. I'll have to pick up a couple factory 12 round mags, CDNN has used ones.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon and a range report next week!

______

Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #5

Pics!

______

Old 03-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #6

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

That's a FANTASTIC price for even a decent firearm, but for that one it's unbeatable! Gorgeous and truly great acquisition!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good job, great price for both now we need a range report...

Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Pics!
That is awesome. I wish I had never sold mine.

The 6906 or its blued sibling the 6904 are the only 9mm pistols I know of that I think I could ever be tempted into buying again...

Newest Threads