Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New (to me) pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New (to me) pistol

I just inherited an old Ruger MkI from my grandmother. She hadn't shot it since the '70s and it's been wrapped in an oily towel since than. Since she wasn't using it she told me I could have it. I took it to the range and let the guy there look it over to make sure it was safe to fire and after about 5 minutes of looking it over he proclaimed it to be in "excelent" condition, but perhaps in need of a good cleaning. I ran about 30 rounds through it and was fairly impressed. Even with the crap Federal Lightning it was able to get nice groups at 25' in the hands of a better shooter with better ammo it would be amazing.

Anyway, I had a few questions.

1. Is it O.K. to dry fire this gun? I can't find any other way to uncock it as there is no external hammer.

2. The mags for this thing have very tight springs. Can I oil them to loosen them up? Or do I just need to buy some new mags?

3. The gun came with two boxes of very corroded ammunition, also from the '70s. I don't think I should fire them, but how to dispose of them?

4. Any idea what it's worth? I don't want to sell it, I'm just curious. It's condition is maybe an 8 out of 10

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 49 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
I just inherited an old Ruger MkI from my grandmother. She hadn't shot it since the '70s and it's been wrapped in an oily towel since than. Since she wasn't using it she told me I could have it. I took it to the range and let the guy there look it over to make sure it was safe to fire and after about 5 minutes of looking it over he proclaimed it to be in "excelent" condition, but perhaps in need of a good cleaning. I ran about 30 rounds through it and was fairly impressed. Even with the crap Federal Lightning it was able to get nice groups at 25' in the hands of a better shooter with better ammo it would be amazing.

Anyway, I had a few questions.

1. Is it O.K. to dry fire this gun? I can't find any other way to uncock it as there is no external hammer.
Rimfires do not dry fire well so take it as a NO

2. The mags for this thing have very tight springs. Can I oil them to loosen them up? Or do I just need to buy some new mags?
Yes

3. The gun came with two boxes of very corroded ammunition, also from the '70s. I don't think I should fire them, but how to dispose of them?
NO, throw it away

4. Any idea what it's worth? I don't want to sell it, I'm just curious. It's condition is maybe an 8 out of 10
Mark I's in stainless go for $150 to $250. Blued Mark I's go from $75 to about $150
I have a MARK II stainless steel 10" bull barrel and I just love that plinker
markii.jpg  

Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #3

I do have pictures but no way to post them since my ex has my USB cable...

Mine just dosen't look like any that I see pictures of. I thought this one had a long barrel until I got to looking at pics floating around the net. Mine only has a 5" barrel on it with a wierd taper to it. It's really quite ugly.

I don't have any intention of firing the ammunition, I just want to safely dispose of it. I don't feel comfortable with "throw it in the trash"

I'm kinda glad it's not worth more, as I might be tempted to sell it. I also have the original bill of sale--$23 for pistol, 2 mags, holster, cleaning kit, and 2 boxes of ammo. The kit and original ammo are gone but I have everything else. Cool old memento of times long gone.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You scored. That's a nice pistol and it's staying in the family.

Never, never, never dry fire a .22 pistol. It can and will mess up the firing pin.

Spray some G96 or something similar into the mags, then work the springs/follower a bit. Then dry them out as best you can. If they stay sticky or tight, replace them. The mags are relatively inexpensive. Stick with factory mags.

Enjoy.

Oh yeah, like Mark F said, throw that ammo away.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's a good pistol to hold on to and a lot of fun to shoot. Congrats!

As for the ammo, ask the staff at the range, they might take care of it for you or at least tell you the best way to dispose of it in your area.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.