new M&P 9 :frustration
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > new M&P 9 :frustration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 04:27 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default new M&P 9 :frustration

A short while ago I purchased a new M&P 9. I quickly became frustrated! It seemed to shoot reasonably well, however, at twenty yards it was 6 inches low. OK, no biggie, I could always take a little off the top of the front sight. What was more serious was the failures to feed. I stripped it down and cleaned and cleaned. I thought -it's new and needs to have a reasonable chance after some rounds are run through it.
Last weekend it reached the point of , I'm either going to fix it or Monday it is going back to Smith. I used a punch to dive out the rolled pin that retains the extractor. Underneath was rust, the coil spring was rusted to the point where it appeared to be almost solid. Spraying it with CLP and using a stainless "toothbrush" appears to have taken care of that. The top and bottom of the extractor had shiny places were it was making uneven contact with the slide. A little judicious honing took care of that.
The handgun had never been in the rain or gone "swimming". Apparently wiping the surface with an oily rag didn't get oil where it was needed and Smith doesn't include removal of the extractor as routine maintenance. Reading the manual, it's sort of frowned upon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Wow, had my M&P9 for over 6 months now. Have not had a FTF with over 1000 rounds through the barrel.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
A short while ago I purchased a new M&P 9. I quickly became frustrated! It seemed to shoot reasonably well, however, at twenty yards it was 6 inches low. OK, no biggie, I could always take a little off the top of the front sight. What was more serious was the failures to feed. I stripped it down and cleaned and cleaned. I thought -it's new and needs to have a reasonable chance after some rounds are run through it.
Last weekend it reached the point of , I'm either going to fix it or Monday it is going back to Smith. I used a punch to dive out the rolled pin that retains the extractor. Underneath was rust, the coil spring was rusted to the point where it appeared to be almost solid. Spraying it with CLP and using a stainless "toothbrush" appears to have taken care of that. The top and bottom of the extractor had shiny places were it was making uneven contact with the slide. A little judicious honing took care of that.
The handgun had never been in the rain or gone "swimming". Apparently wiping the surface with an oily rag didn't get oil where it was needed and Smith doesn't include removal of the extractor as routine maintenance. Reading the manual, it's sort of frowned upon.
Sounds like your ready to upgrade to a real Smith..

Old 10-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Hey, California Marine, very funny! I may own several "clunkers" that I really love, but I had to try one of them new plastic wonders-just to see what all the fuss was about. I purchased my first "real Smith" in 1970 and some how it became an , dare I use the word, an addiction(?). Always glad to receive advice especially from America's finest. Thanks and have a great day.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2944 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 262

It is possible a dealer or wholesaler kept the gun is substandard atmospheric conditions. Go to the S&W web site.

Shipping/Returns - Smith & Wesson

Go to this page for shipping and return instructions.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'd have to agree with robocop there. My mom and stepdad both have M&P .40's, bought new, and neither one of them has had a single malfunction of any type, they are now about 3 years old or so.

I also sort of agree with Richey, Sounds like your ready to upgrade to a real Smith.. I prefer revolvers myself. Nothing against the semi's and hoping to get a 1911 pretty soon, but man I like me some revolvers.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I've had zero malfunctions with mine even shooting hollowpoint ammo has never bothered them. I'd say if you're an original owner you should have plenty of warranty and should send it off to them, contact customer support and they will send you a shipping label for FedEx. There is probably something wrong with yours specifically seeing as I know tons of people that have them and have never had issues aswell as the people who have already posted on this thread.

Even if you think you may have fixed the problem yourself, it's important for them to know and take a look at things, Oxidation and removal of it can cause small changes to the tolerances of metal pieces. Not much, but a little.

Last edited by TacticalPrecision; 10-18-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Unfortunately there are bad apples out there, not just in the m&p world.it really sucks that you happened to get one, i would definately send it back for repair. Hopefully this doesnt cloud your judgement about the m&p, they really are good weapons. Hope all goes well

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well that bites headhunter! I've owned several M&P's and CC a M&P 45 daily. I've never had any issues. The rust seems truly odd as it was my understanding that the internals are stainless steel. I would suggest sending it back and get a good one, I expect you will be pleased with the pistol.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.