Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New Kahr CW9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default New Kahr CW9

Provided it does good during break in, this will be my carry gun. I have a month or so until my license comes in the mail. I'll probably get to break it in on July 4th. (If I can wait that long.) In laws bring lots of guns and we shoot on holidays.

CW9

Compared to a Ruger P85

Any holster recommendations? Nylon? Leather? IWB? Pocket? Thumb break or not? I'm 5' 7" and weigh 215 lbs. I live in TX so consider the heat.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Very nice weapon. Good purchase.

I recommend a pocket holster and an IWB holster. It's your personal preference whether you want nylon or leather. I am a nylon type person, but that's just me.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #3

Default Nice!!

Texanbybirth, Congrats!!
You made an excellent choice.
I own a couple of Kahr's firearms (CW40 & P380), I'm always impressed on the excellent job Kahr does on making their firearms compact. I keep mine pocketed (no holster) and ready for use, if needed. The CW models are snag free with it's bevelled edges. Really a nice carry gun.

Mine was a bit finicky with ammo during the "Break-In" period.
But after the first 250 rounds the CW40 became reliable and would gobble and chamber any type of .40 cal ammo I would run through it. The first 50 rounds was the worst, I had probably 3 to 5 loading & chambering issues, but as I ran more ammo (within the first 250) through it the CW40 calmed down and started to behave itself. I've probably ran over a thousand rounds through it to-date without any other issues.

I recommend a good cleaning on your CW9
before you hit the range. Enjoy!! You have a winner.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Congratulations on your new Kahr. I picked up a CW9 about two months ago and it is simply awesome. Shoots straight, conceals easily and break-down and cleaning is a breeze. I have a little over 200 flawless rounds through it so it is now my primary EDC in a Don Hume 715M IWB/clip leather holster. I have converted several of my carries to this holster as it works so well for me. I had a Galco Summer Comfort and it rode too high for me. Just got a 715M w/snaps for my PT111 and one of the P-6's in in a similar set-up. I liked the CW9 so well that I have place a PM9 in layaway for times when an even more discreet carry is called for. Happy shooting.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I looked at the CW9. I think it's a great size for CCW.

Maybe someday when the money tree in the back yard blossoms....

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default PM9 vs. CW9

I just bought a Glock 19 for the 4-month wait before my CCW goes through. My state has a big backlog. I thought I'd get a larger pistol to practice with, then buy a pocket gun later.

As long as the PM9 has come up in conversation about the CW9, what are people's thoughts between the two. I'd like to get a second weapon simply for those days I wish to pocket carry. For me, if I can IWB carry, I think I'll do just fine with my G19, but for those days I'd like to dress in less clothing and just pocket carry, I was thinking PM9. But would the CW9 be a little better choice? Any thoughts?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #7

Mine has been flawless since day one, including break-in period. I have the Don Hume IWB ordered from the Kahr site. Good looking holster and priced right.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

congrats!! Range report!!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

CHLChris - The PM9 is pretty much the same gun. It uses better parts, carries one less bullet and is smaller. I saw them at a gun show last week for $533. I paid $418 for my CW9. I'll try to break it in this weekend so I can give a range report.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #10

Nice sidearm.........

"In God We Trust"