Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New handgun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New handgun purchase

So, I've decided to retire my High Standard Duramatic M-101 (rhetorically speaking of course) and move into the 21st century of semi automatic .22 rimfire handguns.

I've shot a couple different models over the last couple months (yeah, a decision on a new firearm is a long process for me) and am about ready to, ahem, pull the trigger.

At issue is me general indecisiveness and inability to make up my mind when the offerings are so varied and plentiful, and them waffle as soon as I think I have actually made a decision.

So far I've spent time with a couple models.

Walther P-22. Very much like this little pistol. Top of my list

Sig P-229 (belongs to my bud, he bought it in .22 and then bought the 9mm conversion, which I like as well)

Or, I could get a conversion for the 1911A1.

If anyone has any recommendations in the $300 to $500 range I'd appreciate hearing them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Personally I would go with a 1911 conversion, you get to shoot 22 LR and keep the same really nice grip. But if you do want another gun, there is a few out there around that price point. I have a Ruger SR9 that shoots really nice and think I paid around 425.00 for it.

Stag1

Endowment Lifetime NRA Member, Certified CCW/Pistol instructor.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them". – Richard Henry Lee 1788

Old 04-12-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The top performers for rimfires in your price range are various Ruger models (MK II, MK III, 22/45) and Browning Buckmark. They'd be more in the mold your High Standard type rimfire target design.

But if you're looking for something with more of a modern centerfire design, I think you're already on the right track with your selections. The 1911 rimfire in your price range that seems to get the best reviews is the one made by GSG ($300-400). For a dedicated 22lr, I think their are better value purchases than the Sig P229 series conversions. I had one and found it to be a little picky with ammo.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #4

If you haven't already discounted it, I'd suggest checking out the Ruger Mk series

I've got a Ruger Mk II (50th Anniversary) and I absolutely adore it. Had it since I was about 13 (22 now). Majority of shooting has been in the last 6 months. I'd estimate about 3000 rounds through it, and it continues to function flawlessly. Built extremely solid

Ruger Mark II 50th Anniversary .22lr
Sears & Roebuck .22lr
1943 Mosin-Nagant M91/30

In the family:
Springfield Loaded 1911 .45 ACP
S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum
FN Herstal FNX 40

Old 04-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #5

Default Ruger Mk Series

I grew up shooting a Ruger Mk II. First pistol I ever shot. Fine firearms no question. Just not the style (though I am loath to use that term) of pistol I am I'm looking for.

I've got it narrowed down to a pair of contenders.

The Walther p-22.

The Sig Sauer MOS22B

Both have the feel, reliability and accuracy I'm looking for. And both are well outfitted for between $300 and $400 depending on the model.

I've shot the P-22 and I've got a SIG lined up that I can put through it's paces.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'd take a look at that 1911 style .22 Cane kept posting a while ago. Browning is coming out with one too, not sure what the price is. Going to have to find out though, the thought of that makes me smile.