Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New guy in town

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

One thing I might have missed in the thread. Did you mention your intended use for this pistol? You may get some different answers if it will be primarily a range gun, and not for self defense. If it will be a self defense pistol knowing what part of the country you live in could be helpful information. If you're up in the frozen tundra where people layer up for a good part of the year a 9mm may not be for you. If you're down here in the sub-tropics a 9mm should do okay.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #12

My intended use is primarily for protection. Of course ill take it to the range on occasion but I'm not trying to be a competition shooter or anything. Also I live in Georgia. Nice advice there I never thought about that

Old 07-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Bot View Post
My intended use is primarily for protection. Of course ill take it to the range on occasion but I'm not trying to be a competition shooter or anything. Also I live in Georgia. Nice advice there I never thought about that
Thanks. A lot of people don't see or won't admit that several layers of heavy clothing can make a huge penetration difference, and can even stop some of the lighter hollow points before they reach skin. Unless you're up around Atlanta it shouldn't be a problem for most of the year, but it's something to keep in mind when you decide on a caliber.

A lot of people are going to tell you that a 9mm will allow you to practice more based on ammo prices. This is a valid point, providing you can find ammo. Others will tell you a 9mm has less recoil than a .40 S&W or .45 ACP. This is not a valid point unless they include something about firearms of equal weight. A heavy 1911 in .45 ACP has just about the same felt recoil as a short barreled polymer 9mm.

I can't remember if it's been posted in this thread, but try to fond a range that rents guns. Try out several and see what works for you.