Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New guy in town

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New guy in town

I'm brand new to these forums and fairly new to the handgun market. I'm looking at purchasing my first handgun and I need some advice. Over the past couple weeks I have been doing some research over multiple models. I am looking for something that will be comfortable enough to carry around, but also something with a little size to it, dont really want something real tiny such as the glock 26. I am also still debating on weather I want to go with the 9mm or the .45. But I have narrowed it down to about 3 models. The Glock 19 or 30 or 30s depending on 9mm or .45. The springfield xdm line. And lastly I have grown interest in the smith and wesson m&p line. I know it largely depends on how it feels in my hand and how they shoot for me. But any advice is what I am looking for. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Welcome from Kentucky.

While all are fine choices, the 26 and the 30s are exactly the same size, the 30 is just a bit wider but pretty small also.

If you are new to handguns, I would recommend a .22lr or a 9mm. I would also recommend something a bit larger unless its a ccw gun only as the larger models are easier to handle.

I personally like the Glock 19, the smith and wesson M&P and the Springfield armory XD and XDM.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 07-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You have soom good insight to want you want. Maybe think about ammo cost and avalibility. Shooting also most a must for a first timer and some ranges will have all your choices in there rentals. Buy thee ammo and maybe shoot all three. Then make a practical choice on how it shoots not how prudy it is. The M&P may have a new trigger in there pistol but many , many older ones take round down range t smooth up or some apex parts to real nice. Not a big deal and you can do it at home. If you think you will get your CCL then besure the model you pick will work well as a carry pistol. Hard to beat a glock IF your hand is big enought to get a solid grip. The xd and m&p may fit the average hand better.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Bot
I'm brand new to these forums and fairly new to the handgun market. I'm looking at purchasing my first handgun and I need some advice. Over the past couple weeks I have been doing some research over multiple models. I am looking for something that will be comfortable enough to carry around, but also something with a little size to it, dont really want something real tiny such as the glock 26. I am also still debating on weather I want to go with the 9mm or the .45. But I have narrowed it down to about 3 models. The Glock 19 or 30 or 30s depending on 9mm or .45. The springfield xdm line. And lastly I have grown interest in the smith and wesson m&p line. I know it largely depends on how it feels in my hand and how they shoot for me. But any advice is what I am looking for. Thanks
Welcome. Be sure to stop by the introductions thread.

I have an M&P9c and I love it. My wife has the full sized version and she loves it.

All are good guns, though. Ultimately go with what fits your hand the best.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I love the M&P, but I own a XDM 5.25 9mm. IMO im not a Glock fan no offense to anyone just my choice. I also had it sent off to Ryan Burick and had the barrel and guide rod mirror finished. Good luck on picking a pistol and all your choices you listed will suit you.

image-1562830768.jpg  

S&W M&P Sport
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul MOE Grip
B.A.D lever
Bi Pod
Ladder rails
Quad rails
Single point sling/ Adaptor
Red Dot, light & Laser
Fore Grip

Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

Liked 1961 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

And I'm probably the oposite of DavidN. I'm not a big XD fan. I like the Glock 19 for it's size and shootability. I also like the Smith and Wesson M&P.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #7

Thanks for all the replies.

I have shot the glock 19 a couple of times and found it to feel comfortable and it was very easy to pick up and shoot down range. This was at a range that had just opened so their rentals was slim and before I had a real interest in purchasing a handgun. I have shot my buddies Kimber 1911 .45. Sure is a pretty gun, but not really what I'm looking for as a first gun and also way out of budget. But I plan on heading to a big time gun shop this weekend to hopefully get my hands on all three.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Bot
Thanks for all the replies.

I have shot the glock 19 a couple of times and found it to feel comfortable and it was very easy to pick up and shoot down range. This was at a range that had just opened so their rentals was slim and before I had a real interest in purchasing a handgun. I have shot my buddies Kimber 1911 .45. Sure is a pretty gun, but not really what I'm looking for as a first gun and also way out of budget. But I plan on heading to a big time gun shop this weekend to hopefully get my hands on all three.
Good luck on whatever you pick pal

S&W M&P Sport
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul MOE Grip
B.A.D lever
Bi Pod
Ladder rails
Quad rails
Single point sling/ Adaptor
Red Dot, light & Laser
Fore Grip

Old 07-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #9

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

XD9 Sub compact would be a good choice to start with. High capacity, easy to conceal and easy to control at the range. I have Glocks, M&P and XDs and I think that XD9 would be a really good fit for a new shooter.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2641 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 1171

I have the privilege of owning several firearms in different calibers.

Get one that you can shoot fairly well. If you shoot the 9mm accurately, and the .45 not, then go with the 9mm.

Shot placement is more important under stress than caliber in SD.

Like the guys say above, get one that fits. I would also add that you should look at things to go with it. Holsters, extra mags, ammo selection, repair work and warranty, and sights.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)