Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New guy, old, dead horse question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
They have a Ruger p95? That the guy was trying to sell me once I told him my price range. I believe he said it was 4-5 years old but hadn't been fired much.
"bang for the buck" comes to mind.

Ruger P95 9mm Stainless, w Rail 15 round $321.00 SHIPS FREE
as seen in my previous post

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #22

I'm so torn. All the arguments are very valid.

Why are some of the .22's the same price as higher caliber pistols? Crazy!

Now I'm considering a rifle. Focusing more on single, accurate shot, opposed to popping off a quick 15 in a clip.

I just don't know, stupid guns and their gravitational pull.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:16 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it just doesn't matter. It will not be your last gun. You will continue to buy them the rest of your life.

Enjoy

Old 11-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #24

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Just because a handgun fires a smaller caliber doesn't mean that the parts are less expensive. .22lr is cheaper ammo, but not cheaper guns, necessarily.

I agree with Lowrider. Pick a caliber (9mm is a great place to start), pick a price range, buy a gun.

Don't like it? Buy another one.

Can't afford a second gun? Trade or sell it and then buy a new one.

I wouldn't spend much energy worrying whether or not you picked the "right" gun.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
I'm so torn. All the arguments are very valid.

Why are some of the .22's the same price as higher caliber pistols? Crazy!

Now I'm considering a rifle. Focusing more on single, accurate shot, opposed to popping off a quick 15 in a clip.

I just don't know, stupid guns and their gravitational pull.
It's called cognitive dissonance, or buyer's remorse. But most people get it AFTER they purchase something. You're getting it before!

You've basically listed your criteria so you have a good starting point. Start narrowing down your choices. If you can't shoot your choices then go to your local gun store and hold them all...again and again, side by side. Point it to see if you can line it up with an imaginary target without using the sights (natural pointer). Example: for me a Glock is not a natural pointer but it may be for you. CZ's, Sig Sauers, and H&K's are natural pointers for me.

There's no point polling people on an internet forum because you'll get a gazillion different answers -- usually that person's fave gun which may not be for you.

Most models from any of the major manufacturers will be a reliable, accurate, firearm. They include Beretta, CZ, S&W, Sig Sauer, Springfield, H&K, Glock, Ruger, Walther, FN,...

There's no shame in being a copycat and getting what the experts use -- namely law enforcement and the military. It may go against the popular notion of, "get what feels best for you" but at least you have some reassurance that they are field proven, and a lot of them have been tested to some criteria (like firing 30,000 rounds through them). You'll notice that several brands will recur: Glock, Beretta, Sig Sauer, and H&K. There are others which are great firearms but those names pop up a lot in LE and military units throughout the world. Get a popular model from one of those brands and then you did pretty well.

Last edited by misterballistic; 11-18-2010 at 06:55 AM.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:24 AM   #26

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default family fun deal .....

for a first hand gun ....many more to follow...its nature. get a ruger mk2 target model and a brick of aquilla supermaximum hyper velocity hp and you /family will have the time of your life ...practice ,practice ,practice ..this ammo is damn near .22 mag velocity..and is a viable defense round ...this combo is so accurate and reliable and fun you will get good with it ...and i mean very good ....like 10 rds in quarter size ragged hole at 25 yrds and that my friend is a confidence builder

Old 11-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #27

My first pistol!

Beretta U22 Neos. 6", 2/10 rd mags. They make a pretty cool carbine rifle conversion kit for it. Lots of good reviews. The dealer owns it, says he enjoys shooting it, never had any issues with it, loves it. It was nice because it wasn't the most expensive or even middle of the road, it was relatively cheap, and the guy was still recommending it highly.

I'm excited to shoot it and get some practice.

Thank you all for your help. I'll keep you updated on how it performs.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #28

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Talk about an extreme grip angle!

I'm not criticizing it at all, just noticing. It looks very Neo.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes. This is definitely not a model that you could have rented.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A .22LR pistol is a terrific first gun. Forget first gun, it's a good training gun to have in the collection period.

Regardless of .22, 9mm, .40, .45,... the basics are mostly the same: proper grip, sight alignment, breathing, and controlled trigger squeeze. The only things a .22 can't teach is recoil control and re-acquiring the target for a follow up shot.

Also ammo costs next to nothing so you can shoot all day.

Not the most ideal self-defence caliber, but a .22 can still be very lethal at close range. The caliber was the basis for many illegal "zip guns", and Saturday Night Specials in the 50's through the 80's. Apparently .22's have also been used in the military and covert paramilitary due to its ability to be effectively suppressed with a "silencer".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Standard_HDM

Regardless I have tons o' fun plinking with my .22LR.

Last edited by misterballistic; 11-23-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #30

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default first gun.....22 ammo

natchez shooters supply ......get some aquilla supermaximum hyper-velocity hp....they are the baddest .22lr on the planet almost .22 magnum velocity in a .22lr .enjoy