New guy, old, dead horse question. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New guy, old, dead horse question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I picked up a used (more like "left in a drawer") CZ75b for $400 not so long ago. A buddy picked up a Ruger P? in 9mm for some trade/work at about the same time; the Ruger seems to function as reliably as the CZ & can be had new for less than what i paid for my used CZ Ruger P95 9mm Stainless, w Rail 15 round $321.00 SHIPS FREE

I agree on the 9mm; i don't get to shoot as much .45ACP by a long stretch.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #12

theres always the American Tactical 92 copy of the beretta or the taurus pt-92.
I have put a bunch of rounds thru the pt-92 and it has never failed and just has a great feel to it(at least for me) the American Tactical 92 copy goes for about 300 and when i looked at one a couple weeks ago i couldn't tell the diffrence between it and the beretta at all.

Kel Tec S2K and PF9
Ruger P345 and 10/22
Hi-Point C9 and 995ts
Mossburg 500
Beretta 21a
Chiappa 1911-22
mosin nagant 91/30
so many others on the wish list and so little money

Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
-Springfield XD
-Beretta
-Sig Sauer
-Glock
All excellent guns. My favorite of the group is the Glock, followed by the XD.

Quote:
-9mm
All excellent rounds, all suitable for stopping bad guys. My favorite for stopping bad guys is the .45 (I just shoot every .45 I have owned better than the 9mm). My favorite for the range is 9mm (it's cheaper).

Quote:
Here is the thing, im on a budget. From the gun purchase to the ammo. Thats part of the reason im considering a 9mm, cost of ammo is low... but at the same time, id like a gun with a little more umph than a 9mm.

I know im going to get a variety of answers, and please be kind, I know very little about pistols.

What is a good brand, between $300-$400, and what caliber should I aim for? This will mainly be for recreation shooting.
If I just wanted a gun for inexpensive recreation, I'd buy a .22. You can get a fine .22 within your budget, and it's easy to find 500-round boxes for under $20.

Of the rounds you listed, 9mm is the obvious choice for budget. It's also probably the best choice for selection of both guns and ammo because it's such a popular round. To get into a Glock or XD new, however, you're going to have to revise your budget upward, probably around $100.

A note about Glocks. If you are active or retired law enforcement, military, or emergency services, Glock has a program that will offer a discount that could bring a new Glock down around your budget. Other manufacturers may offer discounts; I only know about Glock's.

Quote:
Thanks guys!
You're quite welcome. Happy shopping and shooting!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 AM   #14

Red's Indoor Range Rental Guns

Im heading there tomorrow morning. Im going to test a couple guns. S&W seems to be a popular gun around the forums. I think ill try the .22, 9mm, and .40... Ive been browsing around firearmstalk.com and seeing alot of good reviews about the sigma 40. There are a few people who dont care for them. They are in my price range and the .40 ammo seems to only be slightly more expensive than 9mm rounds. gunbroker.com has a seller out of Ohio that has them priced at $328 with a $50 rebate or 2 clips. That would be right in my neighborhood.

Ill let you know how the testing goes.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would go with 9mm because it is a great defense round and cheap too (about half the price of .45)

People often criticize it for not having enough "Knock Down Power", whatever that means

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a .40 or .45 ever physically knocking down a human being. Most people fall down after getting shot because of the shock and pain.

and if you're looking to get a gun between 300-400, good luck. Mine as well X out the Beretta and Sig Sauer. I got my Beretta M92FS for about 489.00 before taxes used. Sig's go for a little more used, around 500.00 used.

So, it comes down to XD and Glock. Glock and XD are practically the same thing, except for the trigger and safety mechanisms and slide material.

I would just hold both and see which one you like better. Take a look at the Glock 17 and Glock 19. Then take a look at the XD9.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:44 AM   #16

Red's Indoor Range Rental Guns

Im heading there tomorrow morning. Im going to test a couple guns. S&W seems to be a popular gun around the forums. I think ill try the .22, 9mm, and .40... Ive been browsing around firearmstalk.com and seeing alot of good reviews about the sigma 40. There are a few people who dont care for them. They are in my price range and the .40 seem to only be slightly more expensive than 9mm rounds. gunbroker.com has a seller out of Ohio that has them priced at $328 with a $50 rebate or 2 clips. That would be right in the neighborhood.

Ill let you know how the testing goes.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Hey guys, im looking to purchase my first hand gun and would like the expert advice of the forum members here.

Ive had my eye on a couple different guns and calibers.
-Springfield XD
-Beretta
-Sig Sauer
-Glock

-9mm

Here is the thing, im on a budget. From the gun purchase to the ammo. Thats part of the reason im considering a 9mm, cost of ammo is low... but at the same time, id like a gun with a little more umph than a 9mm.

I know im going to get a variety of answers, and please be kind, I know very little about pistols.

What is a good brand, between $300-$400, and what caliber should I aim for? This will mainly be for recreation shooting.

Thanks guys!
Choice of guns is a very personal thing.

However, in the long run you'll probably spend more on ammo than the gun in which case 9mm is the best choice. As for more umph than a 9mm, then your best bet is probably .40 S&W.

But I wouldn't underestimate the 9mm x 19.

The majority of police and military around the world, outside the U.S., use 9mm. Yes, .40 S&W or .45 ACP may have more knock down power than traditional 115 grain 9mm but 9mm is not exactly a pea-shooter especially with more modern 9mm x 19 ammo in hydroshock, +P, and +P+. *Best to check with the gun manufacturer that the pistol of your choice can withstand +P.

Now, once you throw in hollowpoints into the equation then we're talking about serious potential lethality.

Remember most of the military's skepticism towards the 9mm round has to do with NATO member countries agreeing not to use expanding bullets (e.g. hollow points), ala the Hague Convention, in warfare.

Knock on wood that you'll never have the occasion when you'll have to use your gun to defend yourself. But you probably will go to the shooting range A LOT and plink away so if cost is really a concern then go 9mm.

However, if you'll always have doubts whether 9mm is enough for you then you better go .40 S&W. As for .45ACP, that will jack up your costs even more.

Last edited by misterballistic; 11-17-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default guns ,tools,ammo

a man can never .....never have enough. never sell a gun ...just store it .ive made the mistake of selling and trading some only to regret it.trading up never works in the long run.....look at donald trump lol

Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #19

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default great 9mm

for the money ....and reliability...ive got an eaa witness fab 92 da/sa in 9mm 17rd full size ...never jammed ,feeds anything,scary accurate...the eaa is cz 75clone. ive also got a 32 rd mag for it for zombie/crackheads should shtf

Old 11-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #20

Ok, so I just got home from the range... Shot a glock 9mm, I believe it was a 19? I was really surprised at the 9mm, having not shot a pistol in quite some time, I forgot that they pack a little punch. Obviously it's not a high calibre by any means, but it was fun. I was about 80% accurate hitting the center circle on the target from 15 ft. They have a Ruger p95? That the guy was trying to sell me once I told him my price range. I believe he said it was 4-5 years old but hadn't been fired much.

Didn't get to try a .22, guy recommended starting me off with the 9mm, and each gun was an additional fee and ammo and after the 9mm, I was running out of money. I'm going to go back in a couple weeks and give the .22 a chance, see how like it and how accurate I am.