New guy, old, dead horse question.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New guy, old, dead horse question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New guy, old, dead horse question.

Hey guys, im looking to purchase my first hand gun and would like the expert advice of the forum members here.

Ive had my eye on a couple different guns and calibers.
-Springfield XD
-Beretta
-Sig Sauer
-Glock

-9mm

Here is the thing, im on a budget. From the gun purchase to the ammo. Thats part of the reason im considering a 9mm, cost of ammo is low... but at the same time, id like a gun with a little more umph than a 9mm.

I know im going to get a variety of answers, and please be kind, I know very little about pistols.

What is a good brand, between $300-$400, and what caliber should I aim for? This will mainly be for recreation shooting.

Thanks guys!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

From your list, I have shot the XD in .40 Smith and thought it to be a comfortable gun to shoot. I have large hands and the fit was excellent, producing a natural point of aim when you grip the weapon. Accuracy at 30' was very good. No FTF or other operational issues in the 100 rounds my buddy and I fired through the gun. Hope this helps, I know there are some XD fans on forum, they'll be along soon.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:47 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

my advice get the gun your going to be happiest with even if you have to save up for a bit longer and take longer breaks between range trips. getting a firearm you are cutting corners on will make you sell it at a loss later to get the one you REALLY wanted in the caliber you wanted. took me many gun sales and trades over the years to figure that out.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Take a look at a S&W SD9, should do you just fine and fit in your budget. JMO

Old 11-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Save up some more money, or find a good lay-a-way plan.

I have shot all of those listed, in all them calibers and my humble opinion is that you can't go wrong with any of them. They are all very reliable, functioning guns and respectable calibers. The best one to suit you will be the one that best feels and fits your personal needs. It's never an easy decision.

Nobody said you could not have more than one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 AM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default first handgun

all are great ....the new 9mm defense loads are better than ever ....plenty of stopping power ... the cor-bons are bad news for a bad guy...as for fun and a great first auto buy a ruger .22 auto mk2 and shoot it like you want to break it!

Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #7

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I'm definitely no expert, but I would recommend saving up to around $400-$500 and get a Glock or XD in 9mm... Sure other guns are sweet also but I would argue nothing in that price range will be more reliable and easy to maintain. They are both fine weapons... I prefer Glock, but to each their own. You can get a Glock for about $50-75 cheaper and they have more accessories and holster availability. I also recommend 9mm if you are on a strict budget, if for no other reason than you will go shoot it more, which = proficiency. Let us know what you go with!

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 11-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

In your stated budget, the best you'll be able to do is a used gun and that may be difficult given the brands you posted. For caliber, you most certainly want a 9mm if your budget is tight as it's the cheapest to shoot. No worries about being underpowered as many good 9mm defensive loads are available. Saving another $100 or $200 opens up your selections a bunch and allows you to look at new guns as well...

Old 11-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'll second that. Now days,you can get plenty of "umph" out of the right 9mm round.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Last edited by HKSlinger; 11-16-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #10

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'll third that: 9mm is a very economical (and effective) round to choose.

I don't agree that you should wait, though. Buy a good-quality used gun for the budget you have and you can always sell it later and move up into something else. It's not like a house that you can't sell (can I hear an AMEN to that?).

Guns don't really lose value when handled well and you can always sell a less expensive gun.

But I'm a believer in: Buy guns early and often!!

Smith and Wesson 9mm semi-autos are pretty inexpensive.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face