Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New Gun Buyer in NC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Gun Buyer in NC

Hey all,

I just moved to NC from CA. I've taken my first trip to the gun range, and I am going to get a CCH license. However, I am in need of a gun and I've always liked Glocks, so I am leaning toward either a Glock 19 or a Glock 23. I just am not sure about whether I want a .40 S&W or a 9mm. I think I like the 9mm, because while the .40 may prove to be helpful in self-defense, I will be using the gun at the range more often and I want to save those extra bucks from buying 9mm boxes of ammo. Any suggestions?

Also, is there anything I should know about conceal carry options? I often wear looser clothing, but I guess I'll have to wear more jackets. Plus, do you think it'd be okay to have no rounds in the chamber for CCH? I'd rather rack it before use than have an ND, even if I were "the only one in the room who's professional enough to use a Glock .40" Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #2

well if its gonna be for range use only, i would suggest a .22 handgun.

as far as .40 vs 9mm for protection it what you feel more comfy shooting. i'v been hangin around the range and firing diffrent guns for the past your years. i found alot of people around here ( the area i live in ) stick with either 9mm or .45 acp. everyone i'v talked to about it says that .40 recoil just turns them off and they go with 45. i myself i like .40. all in all its not the size of the bullet, its shot placement. good luck in your hunt.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #3

Well, after my law school finals are done, I plan on going back and trying the Glock 23. I didn't have a problem with the Glock 19's recoil at all, and the guy at the range said that the .40 is not all that different. I like the ubiquity of the 9mm round, so I'm leaning more toward the 19, but people have been giving such high praise for the .40 that I feel like I should at least give that one a try. Is it strange that I don't like the look of hammers? I just have to get a striker-fired gun like an XD or Glock. I know that much.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8439 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Well, will pass up the chance to make cutting remarks about "Tupperware" and you could make worse choices than 9mm OR 40 cal.

To be real direct- for a defensive arm- when you need it, you will be likely to need it bad- and RIGHT NOW. Having to draw, rack the slide, hope a round fed properly, and slide is fully in battery, etc- is not a confidence-inspiring thought- especially if the world around you is turning to ca-ca.

Most of my CCW is a revolver (my motto- Wheelgun- when it absolutely, positively has to go BANG the first time) However, I DO carry an auto on occasion- Round chambered, cocked, safety on) Design of the Glock is intended to be carried safely with round chambered.

Yes, recoil on the 40s is snappy- there's that pesky action/reaction thingy. Ammo price and AVAILABILITY is a point to consider if you plan to shoot this one (and IMHO, any CCW gun SHOULD be shot- a lot) If you are looking at reloading, I would personally shy away from the 40- rather tight range of loads- gotta have enuff UMPH to make it cycle, but it is getting close to max, etc) 9mm has some more leeway on load data.

Really, it comes down to what you like, and what you shoot well. That's why Breyers makes 31 flavors. DO see if there is a range around that RENTS handguns for use at the range- try some of each, see what floats your boat.

And while you are at it, drop $150-200, and get a USED Ruger Mk 1 or Mk 2, 22 auto. Great little target pistol, 22 ammo is still a bargain- and you will shoot more. (and after putting 200 rds of 22 LR down range, my hand does not hurt) And the more you shoot (anything) the better you tend to be.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Check out Personal defense and hand gun safety center in Raleigh NC (PDHSC.com). They rent a variety of pistols. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by asupermana View Post
Well, after my law school finals are done, I plan on going back and trying the Glock 23. I didn't have a problem with the Glock 19's recoil at all, and the guy at the range said that the .40 is not all that different. I like the ubiquity of the 9mm round, so I'm leaning more toward the 19, but people have been giving such high praise for the .40 that I feel like I should at least give that one a try. Is it strange that I don't like the look of hammers? I just have to get a striker-fired gun like an XD or Glock. I know that much.
Don't like hammers? That eliminates the best autoloaders ever made! And for what... a tupperware pistol? I would highly recommend you go try out some 1911's, or CZ's then decide.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would seriously look at the XD's over the glocks, just my $.02.

Welcome to NC, where are you in the state?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I would seriously look at the XD's over the glocks, just my $.02.

Welcome to NC, where are you in the state?
I'm over in the Triangle area.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #9

Well, I tried a Kimber .45 and a Glock 23 (.40 S&W). I do not like the kick on the 23. I can't sight in the second shot very well. Also, I limp-wristed one. I had no such issues with the .45, which felt nice. I wondered whether the safety switches off a little too easily. Right now, I'm gonna go with a Glock 19, unless someone talks me into a .45.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Good idea on the G19.

9mm ammo will be found in absolutely every corner of every country. Making it the perfect choice.

There are those who condemn the 9mil for SD and carry puposes. But with quality ammo like Speer(http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/handgun/gold_dot.aspx), and Georgia Arms(http://georgia-arms.com/9mmluger-4.aspx), the 9mil is a very capable threat stopper.