new gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > new gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 03:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new gun

Anyway, I'm looking to get a new gun. In particular, an FN Five-seveN or a Beretta Cx4 Storm. Which would you recommend? Any other recommendations are welcome. (PS: Sorry this thread isn't totally about handguns, but I didn't see a general firearm section.)

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just like shopping for shoes, ya got to try 'em on. Get pistols in your hands and see which ones "feel right". If it doesn't feel right, you'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it........ doesn't matter whose name is on it.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

+1 to what Jay said. Find the one that fits both your hand and your budget.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #4

thanks for the great advice. the only problem is the only range in my area doesn't rent out those particular guns. But, like you said, the most important thing is gonna be which feels right

Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go to gun shops, or gun shows and find 'em. Call a range near you and ask if they know anyone who has this, and that. Go to a range and ask some shooters. You'll find 'em.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You may run into problem of getting reasonably cheap ammo if you go with the FN Five-seveN.

At least, here in my town, not many places stock that ammunition. If they do, it's very expensive.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:56 AM   #7

Which one do you want a pistol or a carbine?

Me I'd go with a Carbine-- but I go by the philosophy that one should never bring a pistol to a gun fight if you have a carbine or rifle available.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can also start talking to the guys next to you at the range. I've noticed how friendly everyone is at my range. During a cease-fire to change out targets, I noticed a Kimber 1911 with a Crimson Trace on it. I asked the guy about it, and he started talking away.

When live fire was called after everyone put up new targets, he asked me if I wanted to shoot a few rounds through it. It was nice and shot better than my Rock Island 1911 (which you'd expect a gun at three times the price would).

So, go to some shops, and go to the range, and don't buy until you find one that feels "right". As long as all the guns you look at are considered reliable, they will ALL do what they are meant to do (fire a small piece of metal at a high velocity towards your target). At that point, it just comes down to what feels right in your hands (cocking, loading, aiming, etc).