New gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New gun

Hey gents I am looking at getting my first personal weapon, I recently turned 21 which means I can legally own a handgun. I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions as what to look for and suggested guns and caliber sizes. Any information would be great.
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #2

What works for one may not for the next.
Go to you LGS and try them on.
If you live in a state where you can rent guns at a range try as many as you can.

Here in NY you cannot even hold a handgun to see if it fits you with out a permit but you can't apply for a permit with out a gun to put on it(go figure)

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #3

Yeah I am just not sure of any shops in my area. The closest one that has rentals is in panama city. I am going to call to see about pricing and see what they require to rent one. I have not taken any safety classes or anything, so i will see what they say. I have good common sense and know how to handel a gun but understand that they do not know that. Any suggestions of guns I need to try when I go to rent a gun if they let me, I would like to be armed with a small list of guns to try out. I am looking mainly at a 9mm and a .45

Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The number one thing is going to boil down to your budget. Around $500 seems to be the sweet spot for gun prices. Smith Wesson M&P's, Springfield XD's, and Glocks are all quality products in that area. Rugers run a little less, Sigs a little more. Then there are the used guns with their lower selling price. To be honest your question can't be answered with the information given. It's like my asking what kind of truck should I buy. You say Nissan with a 5 speed so I can get good mileage. And that's a good idea and a good truck. I forgot to mention that I need a 3,000 lb. payload and up to 15,000 lbs. of towing! Figure out a budget and what you want from the gun (carry, target, home defense, all three, just two, $250 - $3k) and then we can make informed recommendations.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #5

Ah good point, my bad. Ok I am looking to pay around 5-600 dollars, I would like a gun for carry, target and home defense. I would like to obtain the gun before I go on my trip, I am taking a trip all the way up maine and plan on going to many big areas and large amount of camping. I am not a fan of glock not that they are a bad gun just do not like the safety system. If you need any more information that would be great.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #6

My first handgun when I turned 21 was a Springfield XD-40 4" model. I carried it for about a month or two (without a round chambered). But I'm a small guy so I got a Kimber Ultra Carry II for ease of carry and love it. If you don't like the glock safety system you probably will like the XD just a bit better because of the grip safety but not too much more. I can tell you what I would have done if I knew what I knew now before I got the XD. If I had a $500-600 budget I would opt for a lower end 1911. Something similar to this.... Springfield PW9142LP GI CHAMP 4IN 45PK PKG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $516.00

or this smaller model

Springfield GI MICRO 3" 45PK Package for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $554.00
Both are Springfield GI's
Chances are you'll like that safety system better.
But thats just my personal preference.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #7

Thanks will look into that, I am wondering whay the 1911 is so popular? The glock is a fine gun but the safety kind of bothers me but is also nice because if you need to pull the trigger quick it can be done but with proper knowledge and experience of the weapon I would imagine the same could be done with a different gun. i do suppose i need to really go look at a glock up close because I have only read about the safety, and also look at a 1911 and the xd.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solman View Post
Ah good point, my bad. Ok I am looking to pay around 5-600 dollars, I would like a gun for carry, target and home defense. I would like to obtain the gun before I go on my trip, I am taking a trip all the way up maine and plan on going to many big areas and large amount of camping. I am not a fan of glock not that they are a bad gun just do not like the safety system. If you need any more information that would be great.
Xd9 or xd40, try them out.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solman View Post
Thanks will look into that, I am wondering whay the 1911 is so popular? The glock is a fine gun but the safety kind of bothers me but is also nice because if you need to pull the trigger quick it can be done but with proper knowledge and experience of the weapon I would imagine the same could be done with a different gun. i do suppose i need to really go look at a glock up close because I have only read about the safety, and also look at a 1911 and the xd.
I don't like the glocks for several reasons, sights, ergonomics, trigger, and ugliness. The Xd is an upgraded glock.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #10

I will look into those, I will probably go out tomorrow and check them out.
Thanks