New Beretta. I need to STOP going to gun stores
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New Beretta. I need to STOP going to gun stores

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default New Beretta. I need to STOP going to gun stores

Yesterday, I wandered off to Bass Pro Shop to look for a shoulder recoil pad. This weekend (have a 5-day weekend courtesy of Labor Day) I'll be going to Desert Sportsman's with a coworker and he's bringing out the big guns. Of course all of that apparel is upstairs where the guns are. After finding the pad I wanted, I wandered "down the line" to check ammo availability. I was close to the display cases so I looked in to see what they had in 9mm (my currently owned pistols are .40 cal). I have been thinking about getting a Browning Hi Power but the only one they had was done up in that "digital camouflage" and looked rather stupid. One of the clerks came up and after finding out they didn't have any other models of the Hi Power, we chatted about handguns with some other customers standing around. He pulled out a Baretta PX4 Storm and after handling it for a short while, I bought the silly thing. Dayum. A $40 trip turned into a $600 trip. So now, I've got another weapon that needs to be "broken in" at the range. Sooner or later, I'll take my Walther PPS .40 cal and the Baretta out, once I pick up some 9mm ammo.

I have not seen the "loading assist" before...that thing on the top of the spare mag. Anyone else ever used one? I didn't know they existed.

I was also surprised at how thin the weapon is considering the magazine is a double-stacker. It's also pretty much between my Sig P226 and Walther PPS in weight. I found the decocking feature rather interesting, too. When you press the lever, the firing pin recedes before the hammer comes down. I panicked for a second when, after jacking the slide back, the hammer didn't remain cocked. Then I realized I hadn't pushed the decocking lever back up to "normal" (where it is near the rear sight in the photos)

Last edited by canebrake; 09-03-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Nice looking.
Is this the 9mm the 40 or the 45?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #3

It's the 9mm.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Smart choice. I have several pistols in different calibers. With the ammo on the shelves being hit and miss it gives me more options.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
I have not seen the "loading assist" before...that thing on the top of the spare mag. Anyone else ever used one? I didn't know they existed.
Nice snag Flash.

Your "loading assist" is the non-moving parts equivalent to the Israeli Maglula, UPLULA Universal Pistol Magazine Loader.

What a thumb saver!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Nice pistol!

Quote:
That looks like the loading gizmo that came with my XD. After you figure it out, it is very helpful, especially on the last few rounds. I thought it was dumb at first, but my thumbs are now quite fond of it.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Nice snag Flash.

Your "loading assist" is the non-moving parts equivalent to the Israeli Maglula, UPLULA Universal Pistol Magazine Loader.

YouTube - Universal Pistol Magazine Loader

What a thumb saver!
That's DEFINITELY a thumb saver. I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Nice pistol!

That looks like the loading gizmo that came with my XD. After you figure it out, it is very helpful, especially on the last few rounds. I thought it was dumb at first, but my thumbs are now quite fond of it.
Before I even go out to shoot the thing, that's the first thing on my agenda...learn how to use that loader.

After that, I really need to get to the range to shoot my Walther and this beastie. That'll be 2 range reports I'll be filing. Hopefully I don't completely bollox things up and shoot holes everywhere but into the center of the B27 targets.

Last edited by AcidFlashGordon; 09-01-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziecs1 View Post
berettas are one of the most versatile and comfortable handguns I have ever shot. I went to the local gun stare a few years ago and noticed they had an m92 in .40 S&W so i bought it and now im shooting it almost every week.
the decocking lever is a neat tool ive actually never seen one on a handgun before
Never ever seen a Sig?

Old 09-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #9

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Yesterday, I wandered off to Bass Pro Shop to look for a shoulder recoil pad. This weekend (have a 5-day weekend courtesy of Labor Day) I'll be going to Desert Sportsman's with a coworker and he's bringing out the big guns. Of course all of that apparel is upstairs where the guns are. After finding the pad I wanted, I wandered "down the line" to check ammo availability. I was close to the display cases so I looked in to see what they had in 9mm (my currently owned pistols are .40 cal). I have been thinking about getting a Browning Hi Power but the only one they had was done up in that "digital camouflage" and looked rather stupid. One of the clerks came up and after finding out they didn't have any other models of the Hi Power, we chatted about handguns with some other customers standing around. He pulled out a Baretta PX4 Storm and after handling it for a short while, I bought the silly thing. Dayum. A $40 trip turned into a $600 trip. So now, I've got another weapon that needs to be "broken in" at the range. Sooner or later, I'll take my Walther PPS .40 cal and the Baretta out, once I pick up some 9mm ammo.

I was also surprised at how thin the weapon is considering the magazine is a double-stacker. It's also pretty much between my Sig P226 and Walther PPS in weight. I found the decocking feature rather interesting, too. When you press the lever, the firing pin recedes before the hammer comes down. I panicked for a second when, after jacking the slide back, the hammer didn't remain cocked. Then I realized I hadn't pushed the decocking lever back up to "normal" (where it is near the rear sight in the photos)
Beretta. It's spelled Beretta.

Enjoy your PX4 Storm, I loved my .40 cal. and wish I still had it. Used it for my CHL range test right out of the box and blew away all the others in the class. Break-in not really needed. Good choice.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #10

Nice gun! Beretta makes a great weapon.
While I was at Bass pro to waste time on a business trip i handled the PX4, a couple CZ's and a Stoeger 8000 cougar.It's made in Turkey by Stoeger for Beretta. Wanted $419 for it. Warranty work done by Beretta USA.
My LGD had one in 9 for $350. A real fantastic shooter with the same rotating barrel just like your PX4.

Nice zombie killer!