New Addition: S&W 22A-1 Semi Automatic - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New Addition: S&W 22A-1 Semi Automatic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nice addition to your arsenal, sarge.

I'm interested to hear how it performs, I'm looking at a similar one to replace a Ruger MKIII I've decided to sell. In the meantime, I've got my lovely S&W 617 for fun plinking.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:42 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Very nice looking gun. Waiting for a range report! They changed it quite a bit from the mid-90's when I bought my Ruger .22/45. I had my choice of the S&W, the Browning, or the Ruger. I chose the Ruger because they had one in stainless, and I didn't care for the serrations on the slide of the Browning - not defined enough to allow easy cocking. I believe the S&W slide was also different than the one you bought. The trigger does suck on the Ruger, but it is very accurate nonetheless. I hate the sights on the Ruger also - too wide for accurate shooting. I wish Colt would reintroduce the Woodsman or High Standard would make the Supermatic Citation again.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #13

Default SW22A Review

I've had a 22A as well for a long time and it is one of my favorite guns. It shoots well, is extremely accurate, is cheap to shoot and maintain, and jams are a rare thing. This was one of my first guns as well and it replaced a generic six shooter that could not hit the broad side of a barn if your were standing inside the barn and threw the gun at the wall.

Imagine my surprise with this little beauty. The very first day I had it I was shooting 2" groupings at 25yards. It has a smooth trigger pull and very little kick back (obviously). Sights are easy to adjust and the tear down and cleaning is fairly routine for a semi-auto.

After I had owned the gun for about a year I purchased the "Target" grip. This is a large, flat base, wooden grip. It fits my hand better but seems just a tad bulky at times. If I were carrying this gun in a holster or on a regular basis for anything other than target shooting I would probably put the tactical grips back on. I have thought a million times about carrying this thing in the woods with me when I am clearing out paths, etc. It would be a great snake charmer as it is accurate and cheap to shoot.