New .40 wanted opinions? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New .40 wanted opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

*cough* Sig 226 *cough*

Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie810 View Post
I guess I'm kind of leaning towards the hi power. And I haven't shot but a few 1911's (two to be exact) I did really like the high power personally though. I haven't shot any beretta's so anything I know was what the gunsmith talked the gun up to be.
If you like the Hi Power... take a look at the CZ75B.

CZ USA: http://www.cz-usa.com/products_handguns.php

Last edited by Mark F; 08-27-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

+1 on the CZ or various clones (EAA Witness). I like the feel of the CZ/TZ grip frame. Similar to the HP with less propensity for hammer bite. EAA makes caliber conversions to increase the versitility of the weapon. One frame can be converted into 9mm, .40. 10mm, .45ACP even .38 super.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I am looking to buy a new .40 auto. I had a .40 410 S&W a couple years ago and loved how it looked and shot when I first owned it. However I had a couple problems with jamming and took it to the gunsmith who said the plastic guiderods were pos's and that wesson offered a metal one. So I got the metal one and it never shot right again. I love my brother's hi-power but they don't make them anymore and I want a new gun. I also don't want a plastic gun and don't want a gun without a hammer. Doesn't really matter about s/a or d/a. Looking to spend about 600 to 800. Just looking for some people's thoughts on this before making a decision. And ccw use isn't a consideration. I believe accuracy as tested was within the 2-4" range at 25 yds. Not bad for a .40

Have you looked at the Beretta Cougar? It's now made by Stoeger and sells for about half what the Beretta version sold for. I believe they are going for $349. I bought the Mini-Cougar about 8 years ago and it is well made and doesn't jam. It's not the most accurate gun, but mine has a shorter barrel than the standard Cougar. Stoeger bought the manufacturing rights from Beretta and the guns are now being produced in Turkey. Check out this months American Rifleman for a review.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
I guess I'm kind of leaning towards the hi power. And I haven't shot but a few 1911's (two to be exact) I did really like the high power personally though. I haven't shot any beretta's so anything I know was what the gunsmith talked the gun up to be.
If you like the Hi Power, then I would definitely recommend it as a first choice, but there are others, as have been mentioned. CZ is a great firm - so definitely give them a look.

One thing to factor in with the Hi Powers, you need to do a magazine disconnect job on it to have a reliable carry and shoot gun. If you dump the mag, for a hot reload, you can't fire it unless you get that disconnect job done. It's a good idea, but it will cost you a little more money on a gun that is already a bit over your expected price.

Just a thought...

JD

Old 08-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #16

What JD has above is 100% true but one thing he overlooked in speaking about the Mag disconnect is this .

If you would ever use said gun as a defensive weapon you would now be sitting in court with a Prosecutor telling a jury you had intentional disabled a primary safety feature of your weapons original design .

Knowing the quality of some juries I sure wouldn't want them to be truthfully told such a thing because it now makes you look like an irresponsible person with a gun and calls into question every other decision you made especially shooting a person .

If you doubt what I have just said imagine this , you get in a fatal car crash and you disconnected your vehicles rear brakes intentionaly for some reason , same basic thing in the average persons eyes .

Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This is a fine piece of lead-throwing machinery. 12+1 capacity in 40 S&W caliber, minimum recoil, and it WILL fire with a dropped magazine. It's super accurate and reasonably priced. I've fired over 1000 rounds of every brand of ammo, and I've never had a single problem.

It will safely carry in condition one, and has an ambidextrous safety.

And if you are wanting to conceal, then the CZ RAMI is a good choice.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

1) - That's a good looking CZ. Nice choice.

2) - I believe Big may be on to something, but I have never known someone to use a modified weapon like this and have to go to court, so I honestly can't say.

In the past two years, we have probably had, a total, of 10 or 12 Hi Powers through the shop. One was Brett's own personal weapon that he picked up for his wife. We just don't move many handguns, and we don't usually work on them unless the customer is a good, repeat customer, or they want a custom 1911 built up.

We have done the mag disconnect on just about all of them, I believe from memory, but you can certainly opt not to have it done.

Personally I would prefer the option of firing with the mag out, just in case, but to each his own.

There is the whole "Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" rule - but your mileage may vary.

I am sure that Robo or one of the other current officers could elaborate further.

JD

Old 08-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckinauster View Post
*cough* Sig 226 *cough*

+1 .. I got one a couple months ago and love it.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #20

I'll throw in a hearty "thumbs up" for the CZ 75B. I think it is the best feeling pistol I own. There is a compact version (not the RAAMI or CZ 101) , built on a steel frame as well.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-