New .40 wanted opinions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New .40 wanted opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New .40 wanted opinions?

I am looking to buy a new .40 auto. I had a .40 410 S&W a couple years ago and loved how it looked and shot when I first owned it. However I had a couple problems with jamming and took it to the gunsmith who said the plastic guiderods were pos's and that wesson offered a metal one. So I got the metal one and it never shot right again. I love my brother's hi-power but they don't make them anymore and I want a new gun. I also don't want a plastic gun and don't want a gun without a hammer. Doesn't really matter about s/a or d/a. Looking to spend about 600 to 800. Just looking for some people's thoughts on this before making a decision. And ccw use isn't a consideration.

Last edited by wookie810; 08-18-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: forgot about not being a ccw gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Actually, I believe you might be in luck.

Browning bought the rights back on the Hi Power, and are now producing the Hi Power Mark III . And it even comes in .40

Or, the more common Browning Hi-Power Standard also in .40

John Browning's second work of handgun art....

Happy Birthday to you....

JD

Old 08-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #3

Default that's awesome

Although more money than I thought I would have to pay. But then again you get what you pay for right?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #4

That is a true statement. However, find a Browning dealer and see what their cash price is on the unit. Alot of dealers have special pricing that allows them to sell them below MSRP.

There is a guy in Michigan that I deal with all the time, here is his contact info.

george@migunslingers.com

Shoot him an e-mail and see if he can get his hands on one for you. He will give you a great price that includes overnight FedEx to a dealer near your house, unless you are from Michigan, and it will probably be a hundred or so below what any stocking dealer sells it for. George is a good man and always finds me great prices on my sidearms.

JD

Old 08-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #5

Default Right on!

I do live in Michigan so it is kind of cool it just happens he is located here. I have always bought guns from dealers so I am kind of unsure how the process would go for doing something like that.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #6

Well, hit George up then, I am sure he can help you, or send you in the right direction to someone that can.

For future need, should it arise. An internet purchase is fine, but the dealer has to ship the firearm to a licensed dealer near you after he has been paid by you. You would then go to that dealer and "purchase" the gun from the local dealer for a small, one time fee, it's $30-$35 here, and do all the normal paperwork. The local dealer runs the weapon through their books, hence the $30-$35 for paperwork, and you walk out with your new weapon - provided you pass the background check.

JD

Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #7

Default That doesn't even sound that complicated actually.

Do you have any opinions about the Beretta 90-two? I know that I like the Browning but hate to go with one without shooting a few kind of like test driving a car. And just going in and buying one didn't work out so well last time. My brother has the Hi power mark 3, But I think I like the way the standard looks. Is it really worth the extra money?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #8

Yes, I do have an opinion of the Beretta's 96 models, the ones that come in .40. But, I don't want to offend any folks on here, so I will just say that you might want to look at the Taurus knock off instead. It's going to be cheaper and it will have a lifetime warranty should something go wrong.

I would suggest going to a local range and renting some of the range guns to see what feels good. The only problem will be, I don't know of too many places that stock Hi Power's and units like that.

As for the Hi Power Mark III or the Standard:

There aren't too many differences between these two production units. I would imagine there are some subtle internals that are different, but they are not listed. The Standard has adjustable sights and a polished finish. I don't care for adjustable sights on a pistol, I have never seen the true need for them to be honest. As for the finish, well, that is up for debate by the person buying the pistol. On the surface, I don't think they are THAT much different.

Now, there will be a difference between both these models and the original Hi-Powers, but some of that is good and some of that is not so good, so I wouldn't sweat it. It's the same basic design, it's the same platform, it's the same action and it has been a great pistol for many, many years....

Outside of that, have you looked at 1911 models?

JD

Old 08-19-2008, 02:22 AM   #9

Try looking at a Taurus PT940 , I have around 1,000 rounds through mine and no malfunctions other than a magazine related premature slide lock .

I marked the mag in after the third malfunction set it aside and the gun has run perfect since .

This gun can be safely carried if you ever decide to do so with a loaded chamber hammer down safety on or off or you can even carry it in condition one like a 1911 "loaded chamber hammer cocked safety on" .

I've even fed it quite a few reloads and it just runs and runs .

Old 08-19-2008, 03:30 AM   #10

I guess I'm kind of leaning towards the hi power. And I haven't shot but a few 1911's (two to be exact) I did really like the high power personally though. I haven't shot any beretta's so anything I know was what the gunsmith talked the gun up to be.