Need some help! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Need some help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The blue steel model will serve you fine, and if you maintain it properly I wouldn't be concerned about rust. The blue finish will wear, but I personally think holster wear adds a little character.

The XD line of pistols is also excellent and would serve you well, but if you're attracted the 1911 platform I say go ahead and get one.

Other 1911 pistols you might consider would be the Springfield Armory's GI & MilSpec models (which don't have the features of the Taurus) and the entry level Kimber Custom II. My choice would be the Kimber Custom II, retails for about $699 at my local store

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #12

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it! So, I've been looking at the Taurus's, and I am thinking I might go that route. I've been reading the blue finish isn't exactly the best straight from the factory. So, maybe stainless would be the way to go, so it would be less maintaince (ie. rust, chipping of finish).

I've been checking out Buds gun shop and found alumminum and steel frames. Would you guys go with an ALR?

Here are some links:

ALR= Taurus 1911-AL 45ACP 8RD ALUM for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $596.00

Blued= Taurus 1911 45ACP 8RD Blued for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $540.00

SS= Taurus 1911SS 45ACP Stainless 8 RD for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $635.00

And I also found a duo-tone=http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/47919

Would there be great advantages with a duo-tone?

Once again, thanks so much guys,
Biggie

Old 05-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

If your serious about the move to California you may want to check the laws for bringing a handgun into the state. CA has a list of handguns they approve and the Tarsus is not approved. The link below is the approved list of HGs for Calif.

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

I know an individual moving into CA must register any HGs they own, I'm not sure if those guns must be on the approved list. Here is a link to the CA DOJ site.

Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Old 05-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #14

Likes Given: 1

Good idea Jo, I thinking of that but you beat me to the draw with better information

Old 05-15-2009, 01:33 AM   #15

I've been looking at para ordnance, and they are looking great. Anyone have opinons? I've noticed a lot of them are legal in California. Anyone know where I can find some great prices?
Thanks,
Big

Old 05-15-2009, 02:25 AM   #16

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
I've been looking at para ordnance, and they are looking great. Anyone have opinons? I've noticed a lot of them are legal in California. Anyone know where I can find some great prices?
Thanks,
Big
Should I answer this question or are you going to change your mind again? I'm just sayin'.

Google shopping section: Type in P-A-R-A_O-R-D-A-N-C-E and hit enter.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #17

Just looking for some help man. Had to change my mind because the Taurus 1911 isn't on the approved CA list.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
Just looking for some help man. Had to change my mind because the Taurus 1911 isn't on the approved CA list.
I ended up buying a Smith & Wesson 1911. I found S&W had the most choices on the CA list. A little more money, but it was available, and approved. It should be arriving at the FFLs shop today.

Another thing for you to keep in mind is that the guns on the CA list are approved for a specific time period. After they expire the manufacturer has to have the gun tested and approved all over again. That's why some companies, like Kimber, just don't bother. So guns that are approved now may not be approved when you decide to move here. If they were on the approved list when you bought it would you be allowed to keep it when you move here? I don’t know. I tried to read the new resident law, but could not figure out the answer.

There is litigation to try to stop this BS extortion list, but for now I have to play this game.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #19

Default Taurus bogus warranty

My barrel cracked on my Snub 38 after I used less than 50 rounds. Taurus has a lifetime warranty. They recieved mine at the (factory) in Florida in January. I've called over a dozen times and get the same answer. We are sending it now! When I call back, I get another excuse, and they will send it as soon as a shipment arrives from Brazil, or whatever. Here we are coming up on June. Cabela's in Hammond, Indiana sent it out for me ($30), but now say it's out of their hands! Any advise ( other than don't ever buy a Taurus ).

Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #20

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolson View Post
My barrel cracked on my Snub 38 after I used less than 50 rounds. Taurus has a lifetime warranty. They recieved mine at the (factory) in Florida in January. I've called over a dozen times and get the same answer. We are sending it now! When I call back, I get another excuse, and they will send it as soon as a shipment arrives from Brazil, or whatever. Here we are coming up on June. Cabela's in Hammond, Indiana sent it out for me ($30), but now say it's out of their hands! Any advise ( other than don't ever buy a Taurus ).
prolson, go here and post your issue. Scrapper is our resident Taurus expert. See if he can assist you.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/why-taurus-hate-10838/index2.html#post70530

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello