Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Need some help! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/need-some-help-13852/)

bigpoppa 05-13-2009 11:40 PM

Need some help!

What's up everyone,
I am new to the forum, but have some experience with handguns, and a ton of experience with shotguns, and rifles (hunting). I've been getting very interested in handguns lately, and have come to the conclusion that I am interested in purchasing a 45 chambered acp. I've been looking around on sites and have really narrowed it down to three pistols that are somewhat in my price range (no more than 650-700$$$$).

If you guys/experts could give me some opinions on the following semi-autos it would be much (I really mean it) appreciated:

I am interested in a 1911 frame, because lets face it, it is at the top of the ladder in my opinion. I've been focusing on the Taurus 1911 and noticed it really comes in 3 styles:

-Duo-tone frame which runs about 600-700, and looks decent.
-Blued- is cheap and has a nice dark look to it (will it show wear a lot more and rust?)
-Stainless- looks great, but is the most expensive usually running from 650-750.

Other pistols I have been interesed in have been the Springfield XD and FNP 45. Both of these pistols seem pretty similar to me in style and price.

Any other suggestions for pistols in a decent price range would be awesome!

If you guys could help me out I would absolutely appreciate it, because one of these pistols could help save mine or someone elses's life, so I need some great ideas/opinions.

Thanks so much,
Biggie

Jo da Plumbr 05-14-2009 12:30 AM

Welcome to the crew Biggie.

I'm just new to the 1911s also so have no great knowledge to impart. But I'm sure others will be along soon to help.

canebrake 05-14-2009 12:48 AM

WELCOME bigpoppa, glad to have you aboard! http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

Join the NRA FREE!! (Yep, FREE)

NRA - Join the NRA - Bonus Offer

Stick with the 1911. If you don't you're just pi$in' money away and delaying the inevitable. Why? Because you have stated your preference for the 45 ACP and the 1911 is the platform for the 45.

Should you go and play in 'tupperware land' you will return to the 1911 pattern pistol sooner or later.

Before I will give you a recommendation I need more data.

What is the purpose of the purchase? carry, range lizard, HD, comp shooting.........

Where do you live? Not your address but if you're like me, South Florida and a daily carry guy, SS is the only option!

More data.............http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...on411/papy.gif

bigpoppa 05-14-2009 12:54 AM

Right now I live in Georgia, but I might be making the move to California here in the next two months, so I think the Taurus might be the way to go. I've heard good and bad about these. Anyone else suggest a different type of 1911 for a great price? I will be using this gun for a "keep around the house" gun, and it if comes to it, and I get my concealed license, I might take this with me in the truck. I will also take it out back and shoot targets.

Thanks for the help,
Big

canebrake 05-14-2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpoppa (Post 105913)
Right now I live in Georgia, but I might be making the move to California here in the next two months, so I think the Taurus might be the way to go. I've heard good and bad about these. Anyone else suggest a different type of 1911 for a great price? I will be using this gun for a "keep around the house" gun, and it if comes to it, and I get my concealed license, I might take this with me in the truck. I will also take it out back and shoot targets.Thanks for the help,Big

Moving to Kali????

* shaking head *

You going to smuggle your gun in behind enemy lines? http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

GHOSTSSX 05-14-2009 01:37 AM

Hi all,

Been lurking for awhile - following this thread as I am looking at my next pistol to be 45 ACP. I have a Bersa 380 and an XDM9 so far.

Watching and learning!!!

GHOST

bigpoppa 05-14-2009 01:37 AM

Eh...yea. I could just license it when I get there. California is a hassle, but if it is necessary I gotta follow the rules. This Taurus is looking pretty good, I just don't know if I should drop the extra money for the stainless.:confused: Or go with something else, or go with the blued, black, or two tone!

kcolg 05-14-2009 01:54 AM

How much does a Colt .45 runs for in the States this days?

canebrake 05-14-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcolg (Post 105928)
How much does a Colt .45 runs for in the States this days?

Here's two I found:

Colt 1911 Gov't 70 Series Reissue .45 ACP Blue for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $843.00

Colt 1991 Commander .45acp 4.25" Blue for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $724.00

Slawth 05-14-2009 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpoppa (Post 105922)
Eh...yea. I could just license it when I get there. California is a hassle, but if it is necessary I gotta follow the rules. This Taurus is looking pretty good, I just don't know if I should drop the extra money for the stainless.:confused: Or go with something else, or go with the blued, black, or two tone!

The Taurus is a good pistol for the money. I personally like the look of the PT1911 in blued finish but that is entirely opinion and not based on function in any way. It is really a personal decision for you- Which one do you like? Are you willing to pay more for the stainless for the "look" or will it meet your performance criteria better? I guaranty they shoot the same.:cool: canebrake was pointing out that he lives in a humid and salt air climate and carries his Colt daily so stainless suits this environment better...(in case you missed that above)

I would also personally move to NV, and commute across the border- no matter how long the drive:p