Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Need Input for Possible Purchase (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/need-input-possible-purchase-10226/)

SGT-MILLER 01-23-2009 03:06 AM

Need Input for Possible Purchase

Ok........

So there I was at one of my favorite gun shops looking at different ways to spend my tax return. I came across a 99% new SIG model P2022 pistol for $475.00 with a case and two magazines included (caliber is 9mm).

Does that sound like a good deal to you guys? The pistol is in perfect condition and has two different grips that can be interchanged (just like the Springfield XDM pistols).

http://www.internetguncatalog.com/ig...arge/14903.jpg

P.S. I've had some experience with the SIG pistols. I've shot the M-11 9mm NATO that is used by the military a few times, and I like how it handles. I view them as very well-balanced pistols, but I would like the opinion of anybody that has ever fired / worked on these pistols. I know the "modular" concept is new for SIG, so I wonder if there's been any problems with the design.

trustkill676 01-23-2009 07:07 AM

hmm... anything in that good of condition at that price that says SIG on it is sure to be a decent deal. all the sigs i have ever handled and shot have been excellent. i am more partial to the p239, but that is just because i have smaller hands.

-all the "pro" series pistols i have picked up in stores around here go for 650+ and up brand new so i think the price they are asking is fair. and just an extra opinion... i really like the way the decocker switch is designed on the 2022 and the other polymer models. it seems less likely to snag or scratch.

:shrugs: take it for what you will, my friend. i think it sounds like a good deal to me.

canebrake 01-23-2009 01:21 PM

SGT,
$400 GunsAmerica - SigPro Model 2022 - Sig - Sauer/Sigarms Pistols - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H

$459 Sig 2022 Pro NIB!!!!!! (Night Sights) 2 Back Straps - TheFiringLine Forums

Mark F 01-23-2009 01:42 PM

OK, Sarge...

Ask yourself one QUESTION. Do I "really" need to spend "this" money on "ANOTHER" pistol? BEFORE YOU ANSWER: How many guns do I have now? How often to I shoot any one of them? Or could it be, I am just making someone else rich off my tax return???

This is purely academic... of course you'll get that SIG!

SGT-MILLER 01-23-2009 02:10 PM

Cane, I do not have a FFL (If I did I would never bother going to gun shops.....lol), so those prices would not apply to me. If I used one of the gun shops in my area to transfer it would cost me just as much, possibly more when you add the shipping and the transfer fees. (Plus I would have to wait for it to ship)

.....I wish I had an FFL........:(

As far as use, I plan on shooting it alot. I shoot all my firearms, and I firmly believe that there is no such thing as too many firearms. :D

It just seems that getting a SIG for cheaper than a Glock is a good deal for the money, but I wanted to make sure my line of thought was correct...lol.

canebrake 01-23-2009 02:17 PM

I agree with Mark F, if you're lookin' to blame someone else (other than yourself) for this purchase, be our guest!

A sub $500 running Sig is a sure bet.

Help "O"Pocalypse and the economy and buy it!

PS, Just provided you the 'for sale' numbers for evaluation.

SGT-MILLER 01-25-2009 01:03 AM

Well, the SIG is a no-go. Turns out there was a big issue with it, and it needs some gunsmith attention before it can be sold (not sure exactly what is wrong with it, but oh well).

I didn't want to spend a big amount of money on my next pistol because I want to stretch my tax return. I did decide that I wanted something in a .40 caliber.

I was torn between two available choices. The Smith and Wesson Sigma .40 and the Taurus PT 24/7 Pro in .40 caliber. Since I can't get over the fact that Taurus products haven't been that great and some of my friends are having some issues with theirs, I decided to stay American and go with Smith and Wesson.

I have a nice Sigma .40 on layaway right now, and I can't wait to get the pistol. Some people complain about the heavy trigger (that is the only complaint I can find), but the trigger doesn't bother me one bit. The gun fits nicely in my hand, and the 14+1 capacity of .40 caliber is pretty nice also.

As soon as my return comes (the sooner the better), I'll go pick up my new S&W Sigma .40 for the grand total of 380.00 dollars (including the cost of one extra mag).

Does anybody have any observations on this pistol, or are there any other Sigma owners in this forum?

http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/...son_120023.jpg

robocop10mm 01-25-2009 01:23 AM

I have two Sigmas. A 40C and a 9V. Both have given very good service. I have had the 40 for 12 years and it has eaten several thousand rounds of Gold Dot, Lawman FMJ's, 170gr cast truncated cone handloads. Reliability has been excellent.
The 9 is a little newer and has about 1000 rds down range. No problems. I can consistantly hit 12 ga hulls at 15 yards.
Like any light weight framed pistol, if you do not hold firmly you can experience stove pipes.

canebrake 01-25-2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER (Post 65208)
I have a nice Sigma .40 on layaway right now, and I can't wait to get the pistol. Some people complain about the heavy trigger (that is the only complaint I can find), but the trigger doesn't bother me one bit.
Does anybody have any observations on this pistol, or are there any other Sigma owners in this forum?

SGT, thought the $ sounded good , even for a tupperware so I googled and this is part of the first rant I came accross;

" As a FORMER owner of a 40 Sigma I would assess their quality as MEDIOCRE AT BEST! Speaking Truthfully I wouldn't own another one if someone gave it to me! Granted, I am speaking about one (1) particular weapon and only 1 experience but that one was my own!
I purchased the pistol from a reputable dealer brand spanking new. I took it home cleaned it, as I do all weapons I purchase, loaded the mags, and headed for the range. You can well imagine my displeasure when I couldn't even hit the paper from 7 feet."

Here's the link;

CATFISH CATFISHING HOME: S&W Sigma .40

Scroll down to near bottom. It's an older post but scarry none the less.

Another quote;

"Sigmas are one line of S&W that you could not pay me to own"

Here's the link;

S&W Sigma .40 - THR

Another quote;

Smith and Wesson Sigma 40 cal ejecting onto my forehead
At least half of the ejected cartridges are landing on my head.
I am shooting 165 grain FMJ Winchester. Would changing the brand and maybe going a bit lighter on the load help?
Note..Wear a helmet is not the answer.

Here's the link;

Smith and Wesson Sigma 40 cal ejecting onto my forehead - TheFiringLine Forums

The only 'good' I could find on the gun was from a gun rag and they never publish bad reviews. It's where they get their advertising $ from!

Sorry Bro, I love ya but you asked.

SGT-MILLER 01-25-2009 02:04 AM

Robocop10mm, that's kinda what I figured. When I handled the weapon at the store before I put it on layaway, I really liked how it felt very tight and well made for such an inexpensive pistol. That is what I look for in a pistol. I want pistols that go bang every time and will get the job done.

I have a good feeling that I'm going to view this purchase later on as a good purchase.

Hopefully, by the end of next week, I'll have another picture up that has my RIA 1911, my wife's XD9, my new Sigma .40, and my PA63 9x18 Makarov all together.

Canebrake, here's a couple of links to counter yours. I guess this is a good lesson that everyone has different experiences. I hope mine turns out to be good.

Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE - PoliceLink

gunrating.com your pistol, Smith and Wesson SW40VE review rating

gunrating.com your pistol, Smith and Wesson SW40VE review rating (same site different reviewer)

gunrating.com your pistol, Smith and Wesson SW40VE review rating (also same site, and also different reviewer)

The gun review site has more reviews but I didn't post them since you can just scroll easily through the reviews on the site.

in the end, I think I'll have fun with the pistol. Heck, everyone loves Glocks, but I would never buy one because I don't like them, so I guess different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the reviews, because I like to use the negative feedback as things to look out for when I'm shooting the pistol.

:)