Need input on Hi Point 9mm - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Need input on Hi Point 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 03:10 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I have had a c9 for I dont know how many years and rounds down range. It never not once failed to fire for feed. I agree that the thing is a brick and best worn with suspenders. But 9mm ammo is cheap and in a pinch will serve to protect. I can also say that I carried it as a truck gun for many years all over the place and finished many deer off that a city boy driver failed to see. I only recently "upgraded" to a taurus pt145. but for 200 more in a truck gun aw not much difference for carry night and day.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #32

That gun is garbage. dont even consider buying one.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #33

Liked 702 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 1109

Any gun that requires a hammer and nail punch to breakdown I don't think I'll consider.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIE_FAN View Post
That gun is garbage. dont even consider buying one.
Thanks for the insightful post and and support of your extensive knowledge on the subject.

ugly, heavy cheap all of the above are true so is the life time warranty. This gun is for the budget minded individual and makes handgun ownership available to a large number of us that can't afford any of the weapons a number of you suggest as a better weapon. i can't afford a $400.00 or more handgun. Living in AZ and not far from the border my .45 fits nicely in the F350 console.
The hi point beats the alternative of not having one.
We all bought our guns with our personal needs in mind. i was looking for an occasional use weapon not a prom date. It fits my needs.

A little about castings and Pot metal castings. i have been in the casting forging area of aerospace purchasing for years. All castings are an alloy of some sort. the mix is to get the casting to meet the properties engineering wants the casting to withstand. High point uses a diecasting as it does not require a hi tech foundry or expensive mold techniques. Lots of them local as the process is used in the auto industry.
Why do you think they can be had for under $200.00.
sorry for the rant
Mike

Last edited by MikeMck; 09-12-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #35

I’ve heard they work good, but no way would I trust my life to one they're junk IMO.

I can’t think of a much worse gun for carrying, it’s incredibly blocky, and heavy.

CZ52 or Makarov is probably your cheapest auto pistol I’d trust my life to.

The mak is about $250
The CZ 52 about $190

Old 09-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #36
ET1

My brother gave me a Hi-Point C9 about 14 years ago. They were a lot heavier back then. They weren't made out of the zinc pot metal material that they use now. Talk about a heavy gun! Anyway, I've shot it over the years at the range and currently keep it in my tool box just-in-case. It is probably abused out there but hey, it's a C9. If I had to use it for PD in an emergency I would. It is ugly, heavy and reliable. It isn't junk as a lot of members here want you to believe. If it was I would not have it. BUT I haven't fired the newer Hi-Points made out of zinc alloy, so I don't have the same perspective as others here who have experience with them.

The poster who said that he hoped the BG's that attack him have Hi-Points is misinformed. These guns will fire when the trigger is pulled and they shoot straight. If he is mugged and the gun of choice is a Hi-Point, then he will have holes in him. He might want to reconsider his choice of weapon to be attacked with. I hope my attackers have knifes and broken bottles. If I had to go with my tool box weapon against them, I would be well served. I just wish it was that easy to put a certain weapon in the hands of my attackers.

Last edited by ET1; 09-14-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1310 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I don't own a Hi Pooint, have only handled one, and never shot it, so this post is driven by other things.

Some engineer said the pot metal as cast would meet the requirements of the task it is designed for. Same as the plastic used by Glock and others.

Now as someone who has spent far too many years in an industry that has large warranty costs, their lifetime warranty is unusual. First a warranty is covered by a percentage of the sales price from the factory. Generally one to two percent that is escrowed to cover expected warranty costs for the fleet. The number is driven by historical data. If the costs get higher, the escrow will have to go up. Not good for the P&K sheet. Therefore, since this is lifetime, my guess is they are having far less failures then we think.

Product liability is another matter. Most small, or privatly held companies buy liability insurance, as payouts can be far more then the company might be worth. This is where the guy who had the gun blow up is concerned. Any bills he had might go back to Hi Point if he has a good lawyer. Again, higher costs for that become problematical in the cost of the product.

As for quality in their factory, it is probably pretty good, and they are probably working with CNC machines, as they are repeatable, and have a low rate of failure. You cannot keep costs low if you have a lot of quality problems.

I checked Beemiller Inc. to see what their stock prices are, and they are not listed. They are privately held, so that means that they must be profitable if they have been in business a long while. Or at least profitable some of the time, with minimal losses other times.

Probably a decent truck gun, tool box, fishing box gun for a low investment. That said I still am not buying one.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3219 Times on 1616 Posts
Likes Given: 421

I have never messed Highpoints. Life is too short.
Will they work as a cheap range toy? Probably just fine.
Will They work as a nightstand gun? Perhaps. I would do a lot of ops checks to verify reliability.
Concealed Carry? Not so much. For what it is, it's huge. A Kahr or Bersa would probably be a better choice. They can be had for decent cash.

Does your cell phone look like this: The cell phone equivalent of a Highpoint as concealment is concerned.

old-cellphone.jpg  
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I have never messed Highpoints. Life is too short.
This means what?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3219 Times on 1616 Posts
Likes Given: 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by group17 View Post
This means what?
No offense to any Highpoint enthusiasts, but they hold zero interest to me. Tastes vary of course, but they odd and ugly to my eye.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand