Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Need input on Hi Point 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need input on Hi Point 9mm

I am researching to buy a Hi Point 9mm hand gun. I currently have a S&W 40 but it is really big. I want to get a gun for concealment. I have been reading reviews on line and over all most guys say they like the Hi Point gun for the price. I know they are a really cheap gun but I just need another for shooting around (9mm ammo cheaper than my 40) but I am a little bit leary about carrying this one because of a few bad reviews. Any of you own one of these guns and have problems?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

These are about the worst handguns for concealed carry.

If you want something different, You can go the route of a sub-compact Glock, XD, Kahr Arms, or Kel-Tec.

The Hi-Points are only good for plinking and service as a "tackle box" gun.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Hi-points are not carry guns. You think your S&W is heavy....

If you are looking for a daily shooter in a Hi-Point, go with the .40 or .45. Still, not a comfortable carry piece, imo. There are guns out there that weigh half as much and are smaller. Just my opinion.

Still, none of them will only be $150.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #4

You have got to be kidding, right? I hope all the people who ever decide to attack me use Hi-Points & Jennings & Brycos..JUNK. Hi Points are large enough to use for a small fishing skiff's anchor...

Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000F View Post
You have got to be kidding, right? I hope all the people who ever decide to attack me use Hi-Points & Jennings & Brycos..JUNK. Hi Points are large enough to use for a small fishing skiff's anchor...
I personally wouldn't own one unless it was just for plinking. But hi points do not deserve to be in the same sentence with Jennings and Brycos. My brother in law has about 12000 rounds down his hi point .40 s&w and has not failed him at all. And I actually shoot pretty good with it.

I would not recommend for a carry gun. Spend another 100 and get a kel-tec pf9

Old 03-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #6

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think $150 is an awful lot of money for a door stop and its efficacy as a door stop is equal to its use as a PD gun.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

RBran, What kind of S&W do you own now? As you can see on this thread not a lot of Hi Point fans and that is for a reason. When these guys get hard on a pistol it's something to avoid. Lots of expereince here and for the most part good natured people. How much do you have to spend on your new pistol? Is it for plinking or carry? I expect with a little more information we can point you to a few pistols to check out.

Oh my personal opinion, I'd never own a hi point.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Here's a little review from youtube that will open your eyes. Near the end of the video clip, you'll see some evidence of a busted Hi-Point C9.

Now it's one thing to see a barrel that went kaboom. You can make argument about maybe the rounds were lead or overpowered or etc. This is a failure of the FRONT of the slide. The front of the slide completely busted off during firing. I do realize this is one pistol, but because the slide literally sheared in two pieces, this pistol is a no-go. The front of the slide does not experience high pressures like the barrel does.

After seeing this video, I think people are literally taking a chance (although it may still be small) every time they touch off a round in these Hi-Points. This is evidence that the Hi-Point is prone to suffer the same problems as the infamous "ring of fire" weapons.

If it happened once, it probably happened other times. It just wasn't reported to the masses.

It's funny. The Hi-Point owners out there wanted proof that this could happen to this weapon. The proof is here, but alot of people are now making excuses.

I used to like Hi-Points. I'll admit it. I thought they were the greatest little bargain out there. I have also learned that if something seems too good to be true, it usually is. There is a reason that the pistol retails for about 150 bucks or so. Think about that. If a new firearm retails for about 150 dollars on average, that means the manufacturer probably built it for a cost of about 60 buck each (top end estimate). How much safety and quality can you really get into a weapon for 60 bucks?

Hi-Point is an official NO-GO in my book. Take the 150 dollars and get something like a PA-63, or a Makarov/Tokarev/CZ-52, or save a little and get a nice revolver.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Here's some pics that I found that are a little disturbing to me:

I have pretty much already kicked myself for ever owning a Hi-Point. I'm glad I got rid of them, and I will never get another one. I will not even accept one for free.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #10

Likes Given: 1

My personal opinion is that it would be like carrying a brick around all day. I have a friend who's a gun dealer, and he says they are VERY poorly made and tend to break a lot. He sells them, but he doesn't recommend them.