Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Need help deciding, thoughts? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/need-help-deciding-thoughts-102695/)

BeyondTheBox 01-13-2014 02:28 AM

Need help deciding, thoughts?

Finally going to get a new EdC. I've been pocket carrying two different pieces, neither really something I enjoy or feel confident with being suitable for a SHTF situation.

- Firesrar M43, because it's just way too heavy and large to get out of pocket.
- Beretta Jetfire, because it's just far too puny.

Still going to keep them, just repurpose.

So I'm looking at, currently, the Kahr CM9, Springfield XDs 45 & Sig P938.

Dig their size & price, I'm a pocket carry only guy, won't even entertain idea of anywhere else... Been there, tried that, failed.
I love SA, but if a DA trigger has short enough travel, I'm willing to check it out. Looked at Taurus pt709, dislike trigger. Bersa too big. Ruger too big or worst triggers ever. 9mm or 45.

Any other recommendations welcome, of course.

Polygon 01-13-2014 02:52 AM

My vote would go to the P938. I don't like XDs because of the grip safety. I'm not a huge fan of Kahr because I've had some bad experiences with those. Take that for what you will.

TexasGunner 01-13-2014 03:00 AM

I've got the XDs .45 and the P938. the XDs is in the hands of SA being upgraded due to the recall. As soon as I get it back, I am selling it. I do not like the trigger on the XDs vs. the one in my full size 1911. I don't find it at all comfortable to shoot. I have a P938 & P238 as my concealed carry guns. I love the way they both shoot! If I were you I would go with the P938.

BeyondTheBox 01-13-2014 03:04 AM

I'm going to get my hands on an XDs again because I too deeply loathe grip safeties, though only on 1911s. That of the XDs seems much lower in profile and more natural for a grip. But thanks for pointing that out, as it may very well help me to eliminate a possible option.

I've looked at the 938 so many times for so long and have never pulled the proverbial trigger. Something about it I just don't love. Haven't really figured it out yet.

Gatoragn 01-13-2014 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1481362)
I've looked at the 938 so many times for so long and have never pulled the proverbial trigger. Something about it I just don't love. Haven't really figured it out yet.

I definitely vote for the 938. Sweet little shooter, very accurate for its size.

How about a Colt New Agent?

Oh yeah, welcome back.

BeyondTheBox 01-13-2014 03:19 AM

Gotta be honest, I don't really want a coknlok anymore. I think this is why I I've been avoiding the 938 all this time. Hmmm.

Curious what bad experiences you've had with Kahr. I know their CM line is cheap for a reason and with that small of a piece I can't imagine it standing up long to the abuse of 40s&w. I've heard about the last round lock back failing frequently, and the mag flower breaking, causing their own issues, but the fixes seem very simple.

therewolf 01-13-2014 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 1481373)
I definitely vote for the 938. Sweet little shooter, very accurate for its size.

I agree with Gatoragn on this one. Get the 938.

A short barreled .45 can be miserable to shoot,

and Sig VS Kahr? Think about it.

therewolf 01-13-2014 05:05 AM

Sorry, double post.

Did I do that??:o

BeyondTheBox 01-13-2014 05:29 AM

Yeah, after watching some more in depth utube reviews the kahr is out.

BeyondTheBox 01-13-2014 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 1481434)
I agree with Gatoragn on this one. Get the 938.

A short barreled .45 can be miserable to shoot,

and Sig VS Kahr? Think about it.

I've already got and love shooting a 3.6 barrel 45, don't think that would be an issue. I have more problems with lack of manual safety, where the XDs is concerned. But I'm leaning that way right now.