Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   need handgun advice. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/need-handgun-advice-88811/)

silenceisgolden 04-14-2013 08:19 PM

need handgun advice.

Hey all, im new to the pistol world and am looking to purchase my own.im not entirely worried about price more reliabilty, accuracy,capacity along with a 45 caliber id like something that will put an opponent down.any advise would be appreciated.thx folks.

Jagermeister 04-14-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silenceisgolden (Post 1213835)
Hey all, im new to the pistol world and am looking to purchase my own.im not entirely worried about price more reliabilty, accuracy,capacity along with a 45 caliber id like something that will put an opponent down.any advise would be appreciated.thx folks.

Please search your topic on this site, it has been discussed before. More suggestions that way. Here are my suggestions.

1HK USP, USP tactical or HK 45
2Sig Sauer 1911
3Colt 1911, any model

In that order in my opinion. Of course you will get a million answers on this thread. You did not say if it is for carry or home or both, so I went with a full size pistol. Best thing is to try all models you are interested in before purchase. See which feels more comfortable and which is more accurate for you (if possible). Also take a course since you are new to pistols.

Many will say Glock 21, and I read minds, so please try it before purchase. Glocks are not for everyone. :D I have explained why in the past, but that is a whole other post.:eek:

readygirl 04-14-2013 08:44 PM

Sounds like you are looking for a double stack .45. I would look at the following

- FNP45
- HK USP45 - SINCE YOU SAID MONEY IS NO OBJECT...LOL
-XD45
-BLOCK 21
-PARA-ORD 14-IF YOU LIKE 1911s
Do you prefer striker, or hammer fired...?

Jagermeister 04-14-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readygirl (Post 1213869)
Sounds like you are looking for a double stack .45. I would look at the following

- FNP45
- HK USP45 - SINCE YOU SAID MONEY IS NO OBJECT...LOL
-XD45
-BLOCK 21
-PARA-ORD 14-IF YOU LIKE 1911s
Do you prefer striker, or hammer fired...?

Block 21! Damn you auto correct! :D

manta 04-14-2013 08:49 PM

Any cabiler will put a opponent down. I would try different handguns and calibers before deciding. .45 isn't necessarily a good caliber to learn to shoot a handgun with.

Jagermeister 04-14-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manta (Post 1213873)
Any cabiler will put a opponent down. I would try different handguns and calibers before deciding.

Hey Manta, he wants a 45, can't you see it. :D:p No changing minds here. ;) -nah, just kidding. Manta has a point. Still, HK and Sig Sauer products, since money is not a problem. Enjoy the search for your first handgun!!

readygirl 04-14-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manta (Post 1213873)
Any cabiler will put a opponent down. I would try different handguns and calibers before deciding. .45 isn't necessarily a good caliber to learn to shoot a handgun with.

Yea..what he said, im sure this has been covered a billion times on here. But with the 9mm+p defense loads that are available now, and 17rounds, you should be able to "put an opponent down" ,. Not to mention target retention, cheaper = more practice, bla,bla, bla. But hey...if you want a .45, get a .45, once the addiction fully sets in, you will end up with 10 guns of each caliber anyhow....:D

orangello 04-14-2013 09:50 PM

I have been VERY happy with my XD45 with the 5" geezer barrel; it has yet to fail to fire or misfeed. In free states, it is sold with 13 round magazines, but 10 round mags are available for those other states.

I do advise you to try some different styles of handgun before you decide which to buy. Some ranges will rent you a firearm to try, but sometimes there are restrictions.

The XD and glock are simple to operate, but they don't have manual safety mechanisms (except one of the XD45 models). A SA/DA firearm might seem more complicated to operate, but the trigger feel is usually thought to be better/lighter. They are a bit short on capacity, but revolvers are very simple and reliable and might be of interest to you.

If you want a .45acp handgun, don't be complaining about the cost of ammunition; it isn't a .22LR.

TX45 04-14-2013 10:16 PM

If you want a .45, get a .45 but IMO 9mm is better for a 1st gun because it's easier and cheaper to shoot. I have mostly .45 ACP pistols but I also love my Ruger SR9 & SR9c. I carry the SR9c most of the time during the summer.

readygirl 04-14-2013 11:42 PM

If 17rnds of 9mm Hydra-shok dosnt bring your opponents down, then you probably better just skip the .45, and go with 12ga magnum deer slugs...:D , or move some place where the opponents are smaller..