Need guidence: Taurus? Bersa? Ruger. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Need guidence: Taurus? Bersa? Ruger.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I wouldn't take a polymer framed Taurus for free.

The Bersa's I've owned have been reliable - mags are expensive though...

Old 12-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #12

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Not to complicate things even more for you but have you looked at the S&W M&P 9c, on the high end of your budget at $450 but a great gun and the 3 sizes of backstraps are really nice to get a more custom fit for the grip.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Id like to throw in my opinion too. Have you considered the KelTec PF9? I just picked one up for around $300 with tax. Its 7+1, and can handle +p loads (manufacturer suggests that you do so sparingly) Its very slim. I am a small guy, and this thing disappears on my body. It has a trigger pull that I think is similar to a DAO revolver.

Last edited by falseharmonix; 12-14-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: cnt spellz gudz

Old 12-20-2010, 01:59 AM   #14

Ill say this, I own a few Taurus Pistols and Revolvers and I am very happy with all of them. I have never had an issue with a single one. Its hard to find respect for the brand though. They just haven’t been around nearly as long as Ruger or S&W this co only came to the US around 1970. My good friend and Law Enforcement Agent loves every Taurus I own, but he still has the bias since he just knows the name S&W, Glock, Ruger. He even helped me pick out my CC which is a Taurus……. Oh well, the bottom line is they are all good guns and its your money so keep doing research and go with your gut…..

Old 12-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My advise is buy used high quality before new average to low quality guns.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5629 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

ive got a couple of bersas they are good guns way better than taurus. ive owned a few ruger centerfire pistols in 9mm and 45 and was never impressed with em.

but buying a quality used higher end is really the better way to go. im not sure i would trust bersa with a round much more powerful than 380. my personal opinion of taurus is they in general arent worth paperweights altho the older pt99's from the late 80's and early 90's were pretty good. im not a fan of ruger pistols in any thing but 22lr.

i would say save up for a better higher end handgun or buy used.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 AM   #17

No respect I tell you, ah thats alright it will help keep the cost of the taurus down....

Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have no personal experience with Bersa, but my father in law carries a Bersa Thunder .380 and is very happy with it. I am a big fan of Ruger, but I haven't had a chance to shoot any of the SR line so I can't say, but overall, Ruger pistols have a reputation for rock solid reliability. I'm with NGIB on the poly framed Taurus, I would not trust my life to one, period. Spend a few more bucks and get the better gun.

Or, like several people have mentioned, the used market is a great place to save a few bucks on a nice gun. The Cabela's where I live has a ton of used pistols. I was amazed at how many. Check your local pawn shops too.

Sticking to the three you mentioned, Ruger is the easy choice for me.

Last edited by russ; 12-21-2010 at 05:42 AM.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Bersa .380 is one of the best bargains around and an absolutely great pistol--however in 9mm I would go with the SR9c.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 12-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5629 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

there are two bersa thunder 380's the regular 7+1 and the thunder plus 15+1.

my wife likes the 7+1 i prefer the 15+1. both of em the controls are identical to the berretta 92. with two extra mags which are pretty small you got 46 rounds of 380 ammo. 2 mags for the thunder plus is easier to carry than 1 extra for a double stack 9mm.

the main drawback is the cost of the mags for the bersas they are pretty pricey.

the thunder plus fits my hand perfectly which unlike most small guns i have a real problem with grip size. the only other small ccw gun i feel comfy with is the colt new agent. i really wanted to like the sig 232 but it just didnt feel right and the manual of arms wasnt to my liking. i also liked the looks of thee walther pk380 but its too bulky and the mag release is not intuitive. too me the ruger lcp is waaaaay too small i cant get a grip on the thing and the one i tried i couldnt get good follow up shots due to the lack of grip length. i can barely get 2 fingers around the grip area.

anyway i just wanted to add some extra in heh

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...