Need Concealment holster suggestions.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Need Concealment holster suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Concealment holster suggestions.

I recently took all of the classes to get my concealed weapon permit and I am still waiting to see if I receive it. I am looking for some input on what kind of holster I should look at getting. I am looking for a concealment type holster. I am not sure if I want an inside the pants holster or an outside one. Any suggestions? I have a S&W .40 Cal model 4046. I was looking around on a few web pages and found a few guys that liked the galco skyops holster which is an inside the pants. I would like something that I can conceal with only wearing a shirt and pants.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbranstner View Post
I recently took all of the classes to get my concealed weapon permit and I am still waiting to see if I receive it. I am looking for some input on what kind of holster I should look at getting. I am looking for a concealment type holster. I am not sure if I want an inside the pants holster or an outside one. Any suggestions? I have a S&W .40 Cal model 4046. I was looking around on a few web pages and found a few guys that liked the galco skyops holster which is an inside the pants. I would like something that I can conceal with only wearing a shirt and pants.
First, WELCOME to the FTF!

Second, what's your budget?

If you want the best you can not go wrong with a Sparks Versa Max II.

Milt Sparks Holsters

Of course if you ordered it today you may get it in 36 weeks!

My everyday is a Galco Royal Guard. It's OK but not a Sparks!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have a Galco IWB holster for my M&P 40. I would suggest this for your handgun also. Its a little rugged at first, but definitely softens up after you continually wear it. Its very comfortable and its built to last a lifetime. However, I can't find it online, I hope it hasn't been discontinued.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:02 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 Galco IWB

Old 02-22-2009, 02:50 AM   #5

Try this:

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters
Concealed Carry Holsters: Personal Defense Solutions
Holsters for concealed carry

DO NOT buy a quality (or any) holster and neglect the belt! This is an equally important element in your conceal carry wardrobe. Trust me on this! You would be far better off with a quality carry belt and a cheap holster. I SPEAK TO TRUTH!

If you get a high-end rig and throw in the mag pouch expect to spent at minimum, $300. A good belt will cost as much, and usually more than the holster. (~$125-150)

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I have a Galco IWB holster for my M&P 40. I would suggest this for your handgun also. Its a little rugged at first, but definitely softens up after you continually wear it. Its very comfortable and its built to last a lifetime. However, I can't find it online, I hope it hasn't been discontinued.

I have carried with this holster, only I have the Summer Comfort IWB for my 45 Colt Government. Great rig with a good belt. Not for shirt and slacks concealment but very comfortable. If you want to carry in shirt and slacks, get another weapon. IMHO

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I find, finding the right holster, that matches your needs, is a tricky thing.

Some people like inside the pants, other pancake style, again others like duty style holsters and again others like shoulder holsters.

In the end you will have to find that out by yourself.

Just keep the comfort issue in mind.

When I worked for a security company, we carried our firearms concealed for 8 to 12 hours.
Sitting longer times in the duty car but also walking our guard route.
For that, the holster has to be comfortable while sitting in the car, and for me the inside the pants wasn`t very comfortable, snice when sitting down, the weapon gets pulled more into the waist, then when walking or standing.

If you have a firearm whith a longer barrel, it could be uncomfortable when having the firearm in a pancake or duty style holster, when sitting down and the barrel gets pushed up by the car seat or so.

In the end, what I used was a hip bag for firearms.
The weapon is concealed and you can very easyily take the bag off when sitting in a car or what ever.

hipbag.jpg  

Old 02-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #8

It looks like since I have a S&W 4046 I don't have a lot of options for a IWB rig. Most of the models they have out there don't look like they would fit my gun. I will have to search for products that are made for my model gun.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #9

After looking around it doesn't look like I have a lot of option for an IWB holster for my S&W 4046. Most of the holsters won't fit my gun. I will have to search by model type made for my gun I guess.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbranstner View Post
After looking around it doesn't look like I have a lot of option for an IWB holster for my S&W 4046. Most of the holsters won't fit my gun. I will have to search by model type made for my gun I guess.
Plenty out there:
Galco S&W 4046 Holsters
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bianchi-s-w-4046-holster-filter.html
http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67_357_259

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-22-2009 at 03:47 PM.