Need advice, new gun for my husband's birthday
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Need advice, new gun for my husband's birthday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need advice, new gun for my husband's birthday

Hi all, new here. He has a S&W 9mm now, it is used for home defense. He loves the gun though was wishing to sell it and get something new. The gun is a few years short of being a collectible so he is keeping it and I still would like to get him a fabulous gun that he can be proud of at the range and something that makes him WANT to go with me to the range more. His birthday is in 22 days, I believe I have a 10 day wait time so I need to decide fast fast fast.

Any thoughts? What are your favorites and why? We have no kids so "safety" is not an issue.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #2

Default Food for thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banana View Post
Hi all, new here. He has a S&W 9mm now, it is used for home defense. He loves the gun though was wishing to sell it and get something new. The gun is a few years short of being a collectible so he is keeping it and I still would like to get him a fabulous gun that he can be proud of at the range and something that makes him WANT to go with me to the range more. His birthday is in 22 days, I believe I have a 10 day wait time so I need to decide fast fast fast.

Any thoughts? What are your favorites and why? We have no kids so "safety" is not an issue.
I'm glad you want to give your spouse a great gift. But first things first SAFETY is always an issue. Weather you have children in the house or not. Anyone can make a mistake?

You don't mention if he would like to stay with the 9mm format and if he likes a single or double action or move to something else, So I'm assuming the 9mm is the arena you are looking in and because of the age area you mention it is probably a double action version? That being said If he perfers a striker type pistol over a double action I recconmend a Glock and or my choice the Ruger SR-9 or even a P-89 double action? If he is into a double action then a (much higher end and money isssue)Kimber, XD Springfield, or possibly a Colt Defender. Again your question is so wide based it is hard to narrow down a particular caliber and or action , let alone a make or model that would be a good fit? You might just give him a gift certificate and let him choose or say HONEY let me go with you and we will get a SET together? Sounds as if you maybe into this more than hin anyway???
JMO

Old 02-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Plus one on what Rugermike was already told you.

Safety is always a factor. However you get MAD wife points for thinking of buying him a gun for his birthday.

We really need to know some more information about the lucky guy.

Is the 9mm too small for him, and that is why he was thinking of upgrading.

Does he love / reload for the 9mm round?

Does he like the new age, plastic weapons ( like Glock or Springfield XD )?

Does he prefer single stacked magazines? Or high capacity dual stacked magazines?

Does he have a favorite movie gun that he talks about?

We would love to help, but we need a little more info...

JD

Old 02-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My good lady, there are thousands of different firearms and thousands of opinions. I agree totally with Ruger Mike on the gift certificate. Believe me, if my better half were to take me and her check book to the local gun store so I could pick out a firearm, it would be greatly appreciated, and quite the surprise. Most men are hard to buy for when it comes to firearms. It's that opinion thing.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #5

OK so I didn't mean to be flip about safety, simply this is a gun that will be out loved and relied on, not locked away and used occasionally. We are BOTH exceptionally active in working with CCW folks here and both active with guns. The issue is I have 3, count them 3 new guns in the last 12 months 2 shotguns and a handgun (2 of those three gifts from him to me), he has a new rifle (which was a Christmas gift about a year ago) which is not used due to limitied places to play here in Orange County and his old handgun. My assessment is a man does not get as involved in CCW as much as he has without a dedicated and obsessive interest, but its hard to be going to the range all the time when your wife has more fun stuff than you do, its just not right for a man's ego.

Given commentary on this and another board I asked about the gift in a indirect way. When I asked about a hypothetical gift and in the hypothetical i used a motorcycle (because he knows I will not be doing that this time around, but its an ever present option) he said he wanted it to be a team effort, which means my little ass better be up to speed on all the options and the ones I would have chosen for him pro and con before I walk into a store with him. I want to stay under a grand, which I also do not know if that is insulting or not.

He was looking at Sig's for that I am certain. I don't know if he was sticking with the 9mm though I thought he was going for a larger caliber. Its been 15 months or so since it came up and we were buying for me that day so i didn't pay as much attention as I should have. BAD BAD BAD wife.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default I say move him up to .45acp

Well I don't think you can go wrong with any 1911 but the Colt is the granddaddy of all 1911's the Colt 1911 model 01070XSE is very impressive model in SS and moderately priced or maybe the Beretta PX Storm .45acp like the one in my avator

Old 02-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, you definitely deserve huge wife points after your two posts.

Here is my thought, and it's incrediably biased.

A man isn't a man until he owns a 1911. It was designed in the 1890's by the Grandfather of Modern Small Arms, John Moses Browning. That same design is still in production today, still in use today, and to those that know the difference, is a serious sign of respect and quality.

The 1911 is the weapon to have - and if you are going to get one, get it in .45ACP, which is a true man stopper of a round.

Now, in your price range, there are several manufacturers that build a good weapon, but I would recommend the Taurus PT1911 ( best bang for the buck 1911 right now ) or Kimber. Kimber makes a better gun, but they know it and charge accordingly. Taurus has a true lifetime warranty, but some people have had problems with the customer service aspect of the warranty. I have personally shot the Taurus and liked it. I have owned 3 Kimbers, I still own two of them, and they are a great gun. Either one would be a good choice.

That's my take on it. A 1911.

JD

Old 02-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #8

Best wife in the world award goes to............................

Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgnwdc View Post
Well I don't think you can go wrong with any 1911 but the Colt is the granddaddy of all 1911's the Colt 1911 model 01070XSE is very impressive model in SS and moderately priced or maybe the Beretta PX Storm .45acp like the one in my avator
Wow, I like this guy! I have the O1070XSE and the O7000D.

The XSE is a handful of fun but for carry, not so much. In a tactical thigh holster would be the best transport method.

My Defender is IMHO, the best carry gun out there. 8+1 in 45 ACP that I can carry mexican. It just doesn't get any better!

With all that said I would default to my standard suggestion for "best all around" gun; The LW Commander in 45 ACP. The Colt O4860XSE hands down!

Get him the Colt, you both will be happy!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
[B]

Get him the Colt, you both will be happy!

Yup, I agree with Cane. Get him one just like this, just make sure it is a Kimber. Good effort on your part, smart to do a little research first and fish around. Good luck!