Need an academy gun...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Need an academy gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need an academy gun...

We start going to the range in about a month at my police academy and I'm looking for opinions on a gun. I would like to stick to a 9mm since I will also have to buy around 2,000 rounds. I've been looking every where and I believe I have narrowed it down to the Stoeger Cougar and the CZ 75b. My local gun shop has a Cougar, and I must say, I like it alot. I have never shot one but it feels good in my hand. I have never held a CZ(but have read fantastic reviews), so I'm hesitant about buying something I've never even held. Anyone have experience with both? Pros? Cons?

Oh, and my third choice was the M&P 9, but I already have the .45 and .357 so I was looking to diversify the collection a little.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Don't academies issue you a sidearm?

If they don't what is the department issue where you are going to work? If they issue you a sig then get that if they issue you a glock then get that.

I have never seen a Stoeger Cougar.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Don't academies issue you a sidearm?

If they don't what is the department issue where you are going to work? If they issue you a sig then get that if they issue you a glock then get that.

I have never seen a Stoeger Cougar.
It's a self sponsor academy, so I'm paying my own way through and have to supply my own gear.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #4

I wouldn't stray too far when looking for a duty weapon. Your department armorer and ultimately the Chief would most likely have to approve any privately owned weapon you intend to carry. Though the CZ is my favorite handgun and has been since I purchased my first one several years ago, I wouldn't try to convince the "brass" of that.

Your M&P's are already pretty widely accepted and issued by many agencies so I would advise you to take the money you are planning to by a new firearm with and use it for ammo for either the .357 Sig or .45 ACP and "diversify" later with guns that YOU want for YOU, not ones that are acceptable to the department bureaucrats or city attorneys. Chances are, they don't know what is good, bad or otherwise. If it doesn't look good on paper to them, it is a no-go. Just my opinion.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 07-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You really can't go wrong with either. The CZ is legendary for quality & reliability. The Stoeger Cougar is a Beretta Cougar design now made by Stoeger. It features a unique rotating barrel lockup system that supposedly helps with accuracy. I do know the Cougars I've shot (.45) were VERY accurate and reliable.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I've owned both. I prefer the CZ.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Why buy, train and get comfortable with something that will need changed-out when you become gainfully employed?

You will back to square one and need to start training anew.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Why buy, train and get comfortable with something that will need changed-out when you become gainfully employed?

You will back to square one and need to start training anew.
This is true, but being a self sponsor I have no clue what I will end up carrying when I am gainfully employed. It seems like every department I have applied to carries something different.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw_LS2 View Post
This is true, but being a self sponsor I have no clue what I will end up carrying when I am gainfully employed. It seems like every department I have applied to carries something different.
Do any of them carry the Stoeger Cougar?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would use my M&P 45. The cost of buying a new gun should cover the difference in the cost of 45 ammo and 9mm ammo. If you are determined to buy a 9mm gun just for school, then I would get a used (police trade in maybe) Glock 17. Odds are that whatever department you get a job with a Glock will be the issue gun.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.