narrowing things down a bit...maybe; need to choose a caliber - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > narrowing things down a bit...maybe; need to choose a caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
FYI, the Glock 30 is a .45 ACP. It's surprisingly accurate for a small gun, and .45 ACP recoil isn't all that bad — it's more of a push than a snap. I like the way it shoots and conceals, and that's why I carry mine.

With that said, I don't think you should abandon your Sigma because of the caliber. There's a story in a police publication online (can't find it right now) about a cop who had a shootout with some guy who it turned out was NOT doped up. The cop hit him multiple times (14 in the torso, IIRC) and the guy managed to drive off, though he died at the wheel very shortly after. The guy kept shooting back at the cop and even advanced on him. The cop was hit (twice, I think) and had to retreat behind the cover of his vehicle for a reload. The cop was shooting a .40. Shot placement is everything.

So buy whatever gun you want, and sell whatever gun you want. But don't lull yourself into a false sense of security that because you're carrying a .XX caliber pistol that the fight is going to be over when you hit the bad guy once.
Another reason I'm getting rid of the Sigma is that, for me, it's just too bulky.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #22

Glock 23 and Glock 27: Which one has more conversion versatility?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #23
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl1024 View Post
Glock 23 and Glock 27: Which one has more conversion versatility?
I know nothing of the G23, the G27 I bought two, one for my daughter and one for my lady. Both chose them after a defensive class that was taught by a Glock rep. latter my daughter traded her G27 for my S&W M&P 9MMC. My lady wanted light weight snub nose wheel gun. Neither liked the G27, both would say it would do the job in a rush and both would say not a pistol they want to practice with or carry.

Mine are much like me give me something that fits, works and I will practice with often and carry daily. I still own one of the G27's and I have tried hard to like the pistol as it's one that I will keep for life for personal reasons. Just can't make it fit use. I run the hell out of it every two months and it has had no feed issues. Just a poor grip, worse sight picture and more flex in the frame than expected.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I know nothing of the G23, the G27 I bought two, one for my daughter and one for my lady. Both chose them after a defensive class that was taught by a Glock rep. latter my daughter traded her G27 for my S&W M&P 9MMC. My lady wanted light weight snub nose wheel gun. Neither liked the G27, both would say it would do the job in a rush and both would say not a pistol they want to practice with or carry.

Mine are much like me give me something that fits, works and I will practice with often and carry daily. I still own one of the G27's and I have tried hard to like the pistol as it's one that I will keep for life for personal reasons. Just can't make it fit use. I run the hell out of it every two months and it has had no feed issues. Just a poor grip, worse sight picture and more flex in the frame than expected.
See, one of my biggest issues is: The SW9VE is just too big & bulky. I've tried several times to carry it in my SmartCarry and, for me, the SW9VE is too large & too bulky/heavy to carry all day in that holster. I'm open to alternative pistol suggestions, especially in .40 S&W.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #25

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

If your Sigma is too big, then you won't be happy with the 23, they're about the same size.
If a .40 sub-compact is the way you want to go, why not see if you can try out a Springfield XD40 sc? I've shot one before and the felt recoil seemed to be a lot less than the SW40VE I used to have.
Another good thing about the XD is they come with a short 10rd mag for carrying concealed, and a 14rd (or is it 15 with the .40?) with grip extension.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
If your Sigma is too big, then you won't be happy with the 23, they're about the same size.
If a .40 sub-compact is the way you want to go, why not see if you can try out a Springfield XD40 sc? I've shot one before and the felt recoil seemed to be a lot less than the SW40VE I used to have.
Another good thing about the XD is they come with a short 10rd mag for carrying concealed, and a 14rd (or is it 15 with the .40?) with grip extension.
Awesome! I'm not 'wedded to' .40 S&W, but yes, the Springfield XD40sc is something I want to look at. Some people hate the safeties on it, but I think external safeties are good (in case the one between your ears isn't functioning properly).