Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > narrowing things down a bit...maybe; need to choose a caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default narrowing things down a bit...maybe; need to choose a caliber

OK, so I've decided to trade in my BRICK...also known as my S&W Sigma SW9VE. I may have to 'save my pennies' for my replacement pistol, but first, it would help if I settled on a caliber....40 S&W or .45 GAP? I haven't been to my gun shop yet, but (I hope) I've narrowed my 'candidate pistols' down to these:

Springfield XD SC .40: Overall Length: 6.25 inches; Weight: 26.5 oz.; Trigger Pull: 5.5 - 7.7 lbs.***

Glock 23: Overall Length: 6.85 inches; Weight: 21.16 oz.; Trigger Pull: 5.5 lbs. ? ***

Glock 27: Overall Length: 6.29 inches; Overall Weight: 19.7/21.87; Trigger Pull: 5.5 lbs. ? ***

Glock 30: Overall Length: 6.77": Weight: ; 23.99 oz; Trigger Pull: 5.5 lbs. ***

Glock 38 .45 GAP; Overall Length: 6.85"; Weight: 24.16 oz.; Trigger Pull: 5.5 lbs. ***

Glock 39 .45 GAP; Overall Length: ; 6.30"; Weight:19.33 oz. ; Trigger Pull: 5.5 lbs.

I have no special affection for Glocks; they just seem to be the 'standard' against which all other pistols are measured. So, first, as someone coming from a 9mm pistol, which of the two calibers mentioned above would have less felt recoil, choosing from one of those 6 pistols? I understand that heavier guns absorb recoil better, but my pistol will also be my EDC. So, which of those six is the best 'balance' of size/weight on one hand, and least 'muzzle flip'/most controllability?

If it helps, I'm 5' 7" tall and weigh about 165 pounds.

Many thanks for your input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The first thing I'd do is price ammo in your area. In many places, .45 GAP is hard to find and expensive. Smallish .40s are very snappy and not the easiest guns to shoot well. You will want to try out a Glock before you buy one as they don't work well for some folks - me included. The grip angle is unique and the finger grooves are either loved or hated.

All the guns you list will recoil more than your Sigma, the Glock 23 would probably be the softest shooting of the bunch IMHO...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I would echo what NGIB said.

I am curious as to why you are not considering staying with 9mm?

Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
I would echo what NGIB said.

I am curious as to why you are not considering staying with 9mm?
Everything I've read says 9 mm doesn't have sufficient, '1-shot stop' capability; so, I'm now exploring .40 S&W and .45 G. A. P.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl1024 View Post
Everything I've read says 9 mm doesn't have sufficient, '1-shot stop' capability; so, I'm now exploring .40 S&W and .45 G. A. P.
No standard pistol caliber has a guaranteed 1 shot stop capability - none, period, end of story.

If you do your part, any caliber from .380 on up will provide you with adequate defensive capability. Don't get trapped by the interwebz caliber wars as the perfect caliber does not exist. Practice is much more important than caliber and choosing a pricey round like the .45 GAP makes practice expensive. Also many smallish large caliber guns are not enjoyable to shoot - which makes folks practice less.

Your 9mm is just fine as a defensive gun...

Last edited by NGIB; 01-07-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The first thing I'd do is price ammo in your area. In many places, .45 GAP is hard to find and expensive. Smallish .40s are very snappy and not the easiest guns to shoot well. You will want to try out a Glock before you buy one as they don't work well for some folks - me included. The grip angle is unique and the finger grooves are either loved or hated.

All the guns you list will recoil more than your Sigma, the Glock 23 would probably be the softest shooting of the bunch IMHO...
My preferred retailers are all online: Ammo-to-Go; Midway USA; Natchez.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally would steer clear of 45gap. It's expensive to shoot, hard to find ammo and you'll have a hard time selling the gun should you ever want to. If you want a 45, go acp.

I'll echo NGIB, I think 9mm is fine for self defense. I carry a 45 but have carried a 9mm and a 38 and never felt unsafe. IMHO, anything from 380/38 and up will serve you well in a defensive situation. Practice and familiarity with your weapon will go a long way over a larger caliber in a weapon you aren't familiar with.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #8

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I feel like NGIB's shadow and echo on this thread. I personally choose the 9mm for cost, availability, and ease of shooting. Obviously there is no such thing as the "perfect" caliber all have compromises.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

9mm is fine for a defensive weapon, like everyone is saying. My bedside companion was my cz75b 9mm for a long time and I never felt under armed.

Practice shot placement and follow up shots for defensive protection. This is done best with practice and 9mm is cheaper to buy.

The sigma is fine for what you want. Unless you just want to change things up and get a different gun that is.

Having said all of that I carry an xd40sc.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1716 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Rather than the 45 gap look at the Glock 36 in 45 acp. 27oz fully loaded with 6+1. They are slightly thinner than the G23 etc.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."