Narrowed down my ammo list
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Narrowed down my ammo list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Narrowed down my ammo list

Hey everyone,
If everything goes as planned, I'll be a proud owner of a Colt 1911 in 2-3 weeks. Now I'm looking at ammo and right now I've determined that my plinking ammo will be Federal Champion 230gr FMJs. However for my home/personal defense I'd like to go with JHPs.

I'm looking at:
Federal Personal Defense Jacketed Hollow Point 230 Grain 850 fps
&
Hornady Jacketed Hollow Point XTP 200 Grain 900 fps

I'd REALLY like to stick with brand names.

Also I don't know if it's important or not but I'd like to keep my ammo consistent to really break in the gun with a certain kind of ammo. Considering I'll be shooting Federal 230g FMJs, what would you recommend in JHP? I'm not convinced with EFMJs and I don't want a round that will over-penetrate more than the average, in other words no bear certified rounds lol!

Thanks everyone!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #2

Likes Given: 29

If you can find/own them in the PRC, I would suggest either Winchester T Series or Federal HST for defense, assuming your new Colt will Cycle reliably and shoot to point of aim with either or both of them. You could also try Remington Golden Sabers or Speer Gold Dots. Whatever Round you choose, just make sure they cycle reliably and go where you aim them.

God created man But Sam Colt made him equal.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #3

I'll take a look at the Winchester T. I'd like to keep prices at around $20 or lower for a box of 20 JHPs considering that I'm going to waste 200 of them to make sure they feed reliably. What are your thoughts on the 2 I listed?

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #4

Likes Given: 29

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the 2 I listed?
From what I know about them, both the Federal PD and the Hornady XTP Ammunition both have good reputations. When it comes to Defense ammo, it's honestly just one persons opinion verses anothers as to what works better. As an aside, SGammo at SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated, Stillwater Oklahoma carries the Winchester T Series ammo in 50 round boxes, they are marked "Law Enforcement Ammunition", however, this is Winchesters policy not the law, unless the PRI has a law against it.

God created man But Sam Colt made him equal.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #5

I have figured for home defense you hopefully will never shoot it so go with 50 rounds of the best you can afford and keep them in the mags you need. I am going to get Hornady Critical Defense from what I have read. 25 might be fine. Other than that I will shoot the cheapest my gun will handle at the range.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #6

That's the idea Magnum. Gonna keep 3 mags always loaded with JHPs (after my gun goes through 200 of them reliably) and I'll buy 500-1000 rounds of cheaper stuff for plinking. So you vouch for hornady uh? I'm not sure what my thoughts are on 185gr.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 01-13-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom
That's the idea Magnum. Gonna keep 3 mags always loaded with JHPs (after my gun goes through 200 of them reliably) and I'll buy 500-1000 rounds of cheaper stuff for plinking. So you vouch for hornady uh? I'm not sure what my thoughts are on 185gr.
So I am a noob but have read consistent great review on the Hornady Critical Defense. In the grand scheme of things the best box of 25 doesn't make a difference price wise but I haven't seen anything on the several boards I am on that talk about better stuff. I am sure there is but that what I know and I know they have it close to me to buy.

Any suggestions from others on the BEST self defense rounds?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #8

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You cant go wrong with any of these, all very good

25p02hh.jpg

hornpic9112.jpg

233829.jpg

45acp230jhphydrashokfed-0.jpg

695547.jpg

2001047717.jpg

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Don't worry about Fed vs Winchester vs whatever for range ammo. Your gun should run any basic brass cased 230gr FMJ just fine. If it doesn't, that's a legitimate problem you should know about. You gain nothing from only shooting one brand, other than a headache if supply dries up. I shoot a lot of WWB and Fed Champion, but run plenty of others (PMC, Blazer, Lawman, Rem UMC, etc) if the price is right. They're all basically the same so long as you avoid the steel cased Russian junk.

As to defense ammo, about 95% of the options out there are pretty damned splendid, especially in 45acp. The biggest question is how well your gun feeds JHPs. If for some reason you run into the occasional feed issue, you may want to lean toward a round that feeds a bit more like ball...Hornady CD, CorBon Pow'rball, Federal EFMJ.

JHPS- You're splitting hairs between countless fine options, which is why I generally lean toward something you can get in 50rd boxes. Mostly I go with Winchester Rangers, and SGammo offers the best deals on Rangers. But even the Winchester White Box JHPs that you can get at Walmart actually test quite well. I stock several other brands, and I can't say a bad word about:

Rem Golden Saber
Hornady
Speer Gold Dot
Federal HS
CorBon
DoubleTap
Buffalo Bore
Fiocchi
Black Hills
etc...
etc...

Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #10

Would going with a 185gr be the "safest" option for home defense? I've seen videos online and it does seem to have a much lower penetration.