Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The Myth of Energy Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default The Myth of Energy Transfer

While doing a search for something a bit ago, I came across a wonderful article that points out some flaws in information and research that many have come to believe as facts.

The basis of the article is energy transfer in handgun bullets, and how it's unimportant.

Before posting in this thread, I respectfully ask that you read the ENTIRE article first, and be respectful in any posts made.

I suspect this thread will bring about a good bit of debating, but please keep it civil. Many people will have different opinions, and that's a good thing. Just be mindful of this.

I don't hope to change everyone's mind on handgun caliber and ammo selection, but I do hope to open some people's minds, and I hope that everyone will come out knowing something they didn't know before.

Here's the link:

The Myth of Energy Transfer

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5119 Times on 2665 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
While doing a search for something a bit ago, I came across a wonderful article that points out some flaws in information and research that many have come to believe as facts.

The basis of the article is energy transfer in handgun bullets, and how it's unimportant.

Before posting in this thread, I respectfully ask that you read the ENTIRE article first, and be respectful in any posts made.

I suspect this thread will bring about a good bit of debating, but please keep it civil. Many people will have different opinions, and that's a good thing. Just be mindful of this.

I don't hope to change everyone's mind on handgun caliber and ammo selection, but I do hope to open some people's minds, and I hope that everyone will come out knowing something they didn't know before.

Here's the link:

The Myth of Energy Transfer

-Fred
nothing there i really disagree with.

its also why i choose to use the largest diameter round i can realistically carry. 45acp 230grn. in HP format it will retain enough weight to go the distances if the jacket and core seperate. it will also cause a large hole to occur leading to the biggest chance of usefull fluid leakage to occur the fastest in case there is no expansion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1660 Times on 905 Posts
Likes Given: 529

Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue
This link was posted in a previous thread and is quite informative as was your link.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Good article, nothing I disagree with.

There are basically two ways to stop a person. First, disconnect the brain from the body. Head shot or high spinal cord shot- both EXTREMELY difficult to do with a handgun in a combat setting.

Second- shut the brain down from lack of blood. Bigger wound cavity= quicker drain down of blood. Have a friend that is a professor of Veterinary Medicine, and a big game hunter. As he expressed it- "You want two holes- one lets blood out, one lets air in."

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #5

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Sorry, don't agree with all of it.
I'm not a ballistician, but I have a hard time believing that energy transfer has no effect as the article would lead some to believe.

Blood loss is a major factor, but it is not THE factor.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #6

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Very informative. There are many theories about killing power, stopping power, knock down power, etc. To me the actual reports from the street (and morgue) say it best. I totally agree that no firearm will knock a man off his feet, certainly no handgun caliber. Also people who rely on ballistic gelatin tests are fooling them selves. It is not clothes, tissue, organs and bone. It's useful for comparing bullets against each other in ballistic gel nothing more.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Last edited by jeepejeep; 01-21-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue
This link was posted in a previous thread and is quite informative as was your link.
Interesting info from ONE viewpoint and I don't see any actual data that he even compiled so you can see his own numbers. A tremendous amount of opinions and theories but NO facts. I am sure you could get someone else in his position to give an 180 degree different view. Science matters - this comes across as an expert opinion but there are no facts, details or anything subjective to analyze - just a long opinion piece.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Sorry, don't agree with all of it.
I'm not a ballistician, but I have a hard time believing that energy transfer has no effect as the article would lead some to believe.

Blood loss is a major factor, but it is not THE factor.
I believe what he's saying, and I've heard others say it too, that energy transfer has no effect at the velocities handgun bullets are traveling. I don't know if it's because of the amount of energy, it bullet speed affects the speed at which energy travels or something else entirely.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #9

Interesting...any idea about the loudness of each caliber? I thought the .357 was louder then other calibers, and wouldn't that noise increase the chance of a "psychological stop"?

Old 01-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum27 View Post
Interesting info from ONE viewpoint and I don't see any actual data that he even compiled so you can see his own numbers. A tremendous amount of opinions and theories but NO facts. I am sure you could get someone else in his position to give an 180 degree different view. Science matters - this comes across as an expert opinion but there are no facts, details or anything subjective to analyze - just a long opinion piece.
The data is what I see as the issue. First, what type of data is best? How do you go about obtaining that data?

All the author was trying to do was use real world situations and scenarios to show that many other things transfer way more energy to the human body with little to no effect, thus nullifying the argument that energy is important when comparing handgun calibers.

The author's opinion and mine are similar, in that penetration and, and in that same regard, wound cavity size are EVERYTHING when it comes to incapacitation using a handgun.

I think those "One shot stop" tests are total bogus nonsense that don't translate to real world situations and scenarios.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!