My new Kimber compact!!!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > My new Kimber compact!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
I've trained myself to always release the slide by pulling the slide back hard and releasing. The only reason I do this is so if I have a malfunction where I have to T,R,& R, (tap, rack, ready)it comes as second nature. Just my $.02
It depends on the circumstances, but generally, I'll hit the slide release. That way, the pistol is already properly positioned in my hands and heading back onto target as the slide comes forward.

If you watch racers do mag changes, most of them go for their slide releases. in the manner that I've described. I learned to do it in the military with rifles and it just carried over to my pistol work.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #12

Just some new pictures for MattG

Last edited by iloveguns; 06-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Looks nice bro! What have you got there for leather? Looks like a RH FBI Cant Galco or Desanti model. I have one very similar with the screw set retention instead of the snap in. I like it, and I hate it... LOL

How's that Hogue feel to you? Have any problems with it catching your shirt on the way out of the holster?

JD

Old 08-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Looks nice bro! What have you got there for leather? Looks like a RH FBI Cant Galco or Desanti model. I have one very similar with the screw set retention instead of the snap in. I like it, and I hate it... LOL

How's that Hogue feel to you? Have any problems with it catching your shirt on the way out of the holster?

JD

Galco is the holster and I love it. As for the hogue grip at first I wasn't sure but after shooting a 100 rounds with it I love it. Feels alot like my glock30 because of the big grip only softer. And haven't had any problems with my shirt of course I haven't had to pull it in a big hurry either. Thank god.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #15

Don't get me wrong, I love the hogue stuff. They make a great grip product.

One of the big things I worry about, living in the Seattle area, is having an overshirt, untucked, or a longer jacket on because of the weather.

I bought this really nice set of G-10 grips from Mil-Tac for my first Kimber. Slapped them on. Loved the feel. The thing was like super glued to my hand, and if my hands were a little damp, it was just that might tighter. I had it at the range all day and the thing was like an extension of my hand. Utterly perfect. I carried concealed, probably, 4 or 6 times, and one day I came home and went to pull the Kimber to take off the belt and holster, and the grip caught the edge of the over shirt and got hung up in the tail on the way out. If I hadn't been standing close to the bed & in the house, I might have dropped the thing on the street, which would have really pissed me off. The G-10 checkerboard was so sharp, it grabbed the loose fabric of my over shirt or work jacket about 1 in 5 or 6 times, which isn't a lot, but it was enough to make me reconsider my grip choice.

Now, I know a bunch of guys are going to say "You should have changed your shirt stupid" - which was a thought. But, I also work outside about 30 to 40% of the time, so I am used to wearing a carhartt coat, or a long flannel, and I usually carry when I am going places that don't necessitate a tux and tails, so it's a common dress mode for me. With a leather jacket and jeans, it wasn't a problem, but when I was wearing working gear, it was more of a concern.

Anyways, I was just wondering what you thought of the Hogue -

JD

Old 08-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #16

Quote:

One of the big things I worry about, living in the Seattle area, is having an overshirt, untucked, or a longer jacket on because of the weather.

I bought this really nice set of G-10 grips from Mil-Tac for my first Kimber. Slapped them on. Loved the feel. The thing was like super glued to my hand, and if my hands were a little damp, it was just that might tighter. I had it at the range all day and the thing was like an extension of my hand. Utterly perfect. I carried concealed, probably, 4 or 6 times, and one day I came home and went to pull the Kimber to take off the belt and holster, and the grip caught the edge of the over shirt and got hung up in the tail on the way out. If I hadn't been standing close to the bed & in the house, I might have dropped the thing on the street, which would have really pissed me off. The G-10 checkerboard was so sharp, it grabbed the loose fabric of my over shirt or work jacket about 1 in 5 or 6 times, which isn't a lot, but it was enough to make me reconsider my grip choice.

Now, I know a bunch of guys are going to say "You should have changed your shirt stupid" - which was a thought. But, I also work outside about 30 to 40% of the time, so I am used to wearing a carhartt coat, or a long flannel, and I usually carry when I am going places that don't necessitate a tux and tails, so it's a common dress mode for me. With a leather jacket and jeans, it wasn't a problem, but when I was wearing working gear, it was more of a concern.

JD
Well I would have changed the grips to JD. You have to go with what is normal, and no don't change your shirt if thats not normal. You made the right choice. Besides to each his own, right? Lol. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

JD
I found them flat out akward for the first few hundred rounds, but once I got used to them, I absolutely loved them. Since, I've recommended Hogue grips to anyone that may need them. They're a little gummy, but not horribly so and they're nice and smooth.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #18

Default My new Kimber compact

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveguns View Post
Just some new pictures for MattG
Thats a Very Nice Kimber Carry Piece, so nice, I went out and bought one today,(bought at gun shop, probably paid too much, but I just had to get it!!) identical to yours except for the Hogue grip which, they did not have in stock, I will order one online tonight. I have not got a chance to fire it yet, but after hearing everyones input, I think I made the right choice!!!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleyhooligan View Post
Thats a Very Nice Kimber Carry Piece, so nice, I went out and bought one today,(bought at gun shop, probably paid too much, but I just had to get it!!) identical to yours except for the Hogue grip which, they did not have in stock, I will order one online tonight. I have not got a chance to fire it yet, but after hearing everyones input, I think I made the right choice!!!
Welcome to the 1911 family - or if you are already a member, welcome to the Kimber Family... I do not think you will be disappointed.

And if you are, please let me know and I will be happy to make you an offer on the weapon.

JD

Old 09-18-2008, 03:36 AM   #20

Default My new Kimber compact

Quote:
Welcome to the 1911 family - or if you are already a member, welcome to the Kimber Family... I do not think you will be disappointed.

And if you are, please let me know and I will be happy to make you an offer on the weapon.

JD
Thanks, Dillinger. I am pretty much a newbie, I did own a Springfield Ultra Compact, ported, in Stainless awhile back. It was a great .45 but I did have issues with it jamming after running a few rounds thru it, always had to change weight of ammo when it jammed. I have been reading up on Kimber and heard alot of great reviews. I will give mine after I get out to the range!!