My new Kimber compact!!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > My new Kimber compact!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My new Kimber compact!!!!

Just thought I would show off my new Kimber Compact Stainless. My first 1911 and damn I now have the 1911 bug. Lol.

Last edited by iloveguns; 06-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Is that grip tape on the front strap?

Muzzle flip on the little suckers can be a bit much when you're doing quick follow ups. If the tape starts to peel or chew your hand up, you might want to try some Hogue Combats. At $20-$25, you're not out a whole lot of money if you don't like them. I found that they really helped me keep the muzzle down and get my front sight back on target much quicker.

Here's mine:

Even after close to 10 years and well over 10k rds, she's is still nice and tight. I've only ever seen the pistol misfeed twice and both were at the hands of my wife who was limp wristing the pistol very badly. I didn't know why they called it stove piping until I watched one shell go down her shirt and the next stick straight up out of the top of the ejection port.

Since it's your first 1911, you may want to do some reading on the ergonomics of the beasts. Google Massad Ayoob, a few article from him can be found online. He goes into great detail about what he found to be the proper hold for a 1911. It has worked out very well for me. I'm able to hit silhouette within 25 feet without aiming, just pointing. At greater distances, his hold provides a rock solid platform to shoot from.

Your poor Glock is going to be lonely sitting in the safe while your new piece will see a lot of range time. They're an absolute dream to shoot, even with the shortened barrel.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 07-28-2008 at 08:50 PM.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Really nice choice Bro! I had a Kimber 4.25" that carried for two years and loved it. That thing ate everything I threw at it and never had a hiccup. Here's hoping your performance is just as good.

I look forward to a full range report!

JD

Old 07-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Is that grip tape on the front strap?

Muzzle flip on the little suckers can be a bit much when you're doing quick follow ups. If the tape starts to peel or chew your hand up, you might want to try some Hogue Combats. At $20-$25, you're not out a whole lot of money if you don't like them. I found that they really helped me keep the muzzle down and get my front sight back on target much quicker.

Here's mine:

Even after close to 10 years and well over 10k rds, she's is still nice and tight. I've only ever seen the pistol misfeed twice and both were at the hands of my wife who was limp wristing the pistol very badly. I didn't know why they called it stove piping until I watched one shell go down her shirt and the next stick straight up out of the top of the ejection port.

Since it's your first 1911, you may want to do some reading on the ergonomics of the beasts. Google Massad Ayoob, a few article from him can be found online. He goes into great detail about what he found to be the proper hold for a 1911. It has worked out very well for me. I'm able to hit silhouette within 25 feet without aiming, just pointing. At greater distances, his hold provides a rock solid platform to shoot from.

Your poor Glock is going to be lonely sitting in the safe while your new piece will see a lot of range time. They're an absolute dream to shoot, even with the shortened barrel.
Thanks for the heads up. Yes grip tape. Lol was a quick fix yesterday when I was at the range. I like the hogue grips though and will hopefully try and get some this week. I love the kimber shoots very nice, but my glock 19 was there too. The 19 will never get lonely. The G30 might though. Lol. Thanks Matt G.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Really nice choice Bro! I had a Kimber 4.25" that carried for two years and loved it. That thing ate everything I threw at it and never had a hiccup. Here's hoping your performance is just as good.

I look forward to a full range report!

JD

I have 3kids, a 4 yr old, a 2 yr old and a almost 4 month old. So my range and your range probably differ, lol. But if you want to know if I hit the pop cans and milk jugs I was aiming at , then hell yeah I blew the crap out of them. What a nice shooting gun. Like I said I now have the 1911 bug.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #6

MattG is there an extended slide lock I can get? I have short thumbs. Lol. Thanks

Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveguns View Post
MattG is there an extended slide lock I can get? I have short thumbs. Lol. Thanks
Your slide lock should be operated with your left thumb. Look for that Massad Ayoob article.

There are extended slide locks. Wilson makes one that sells for about $30 that drops in with minimal fitting. http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_slide_releases.asp

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveguns View Post

Matt's right, with the 1911, your reloading hand thumb should hit the mag release if you prefer to do that.

Most pistol trainers will tell you the best way to dump the slide forward is to use the over the top / pinch & pull method.

I have done both, and don't have a preference, but slide release is under tension when the slide is back, so there is less pressure ( wear and tear could be said, though I don't necessarily agree ) to pull the slide back and release it.

Several companies make extended mag releases. Brownell's has the one that Matt is talking about for $30. Less if you have a membership.

JD

Old 07-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #9

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #10

I've trained myself to always release the slide by pulling the slide back hard and releasing. The only reason I do this is so if I have a malfunction where I have to T,R,& R, (tap, rack, ready)it comes as second nature. Just my $.02