My on-going saga to purchase a gun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

My on-going saga to purchase a gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.
CDNN
Somebody else will have to chime in on the quality of their tradeins. The 5906 was big with the police departments. I will say that i haven't been disappointed in any of the used firearms i have purchased.

Last edited by orangello; 06-12-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #12

Liked 354 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Don't gen3's have that whole "kaboom" issue though?
Not really.

Glocks have unsupported chambers, which can be an issue specifically with the 40sw (G22, 23, 27, etc) caliber. 40sw is a very good defense caliber and quite budget friendly....but it can be a problematic caliber for some reloaders due to the shape of the casing and the pressures involved. Add the unsupported chamber issue of Glocks, and now you've got legitmate concerns if all these factors are in play.

9mm Glocks are relatively problem free, as are Glocks chambered in 40sw if you're shooting factory ammo. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Glock (or a 40sw) if not for the fact that neither really fits my own preferences.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 483 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just want to be in this thread.

Seriously, though I believe the M&P9 would be a good choice. With the interchangeable backstraps, there should be no problem with the fit for the wife.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
As for the 5906, is that still made? I'm not on that tight of a budget (but less money is less money). However, what am I giving up for the $300 savings?

My personal knocks on the 5906 (for me, given my needs - real or perceived):
  1. I believe it is no longer made.
  2. Not willing to buy used for my 1st gun as I don't have enough knowledge to tell good from bad.
  3. It has a magazine safety (don't like the idea of this).
  4. I have nowhere to rent/try this gun (this one is huge - I don't want my 1st gun to be one that I've never put rounds down range with).
You are correct, they are out of production. But, GunBroker only has about a dozen on there right now . GunBroker.com - Error
I'm just following your criteria and suggesting a really cheap option. I plan on picking one up someday soon.
I don't know how the magazine safety is integrated, but if its anything like a M&P safety, you can pull it out rather easily.
It doesn't have to be your first handgun, go with your gut instinct and just remember - you can't have only one. You'll be looking for number two as soon as your bring number one home

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
As for the 5906, is that still made? I'm not on that tight of a budget (but less money is less money). However, what am I giving up for the $300 savings?

My personal knocks on the 5906 (for me, given my needs - real or perceived):
  1. I believe it is no longer made.
  2. Not willing to buy used for my 1st gun as I don't have enough knowledge to tell good from bad.
  3. It has a magazine safety (don't like the idea of this).
  4. I have nowhere to rent/try this gun (this one is huge - I don't want my 1st gun to be one that I've never put rounds down range with).
1. Yes, it is no longer made.
2. The one I bought was better than expected.
3. It does have a mag safety
4. That is tough but let me tell you that of all my pistols (except the .22LR)...my 5906 has the least felt recoil. I am cheating here since my XDm and SP2022 are .40 cal but my other 9mm is an all steel CZ! The grip (Hogue) is on the chubby side so your wife might have some difficulty with it.

All things said, I won't hesitate buying the S&W 5906 again & again.

Good luck with your choice!!!

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I just want to be in this thread.

Seriously, though I believe the M&P9 would be a good choice. With the interchangeable backstraps, there should be no problem with the fit for the wife.
Me too and I second the M&P. All the same two pages of what's a guy to do...shoot some, pick one and let us know your choice. It's not like your picking out a purse to match your shoes. It's a tool that fits you well and you can use at your skill level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you're interested in the Sig 229, then look at the FNX-9. I just purchased one for my wife to use for action pistol competition. It is exactly the same size as the Sig 229. A friend has a 229 and we measured the FNX and 229 and compared dimensions and they are identical - with the FNX being much lighter because of the polymer frame.

The FNX comes with three 17 round magazines, has ambidextrous controls, and interchangable backstraps. It is a DA/SA operating gun with a hammer, and the safety also acts as the decocker. Prices are in the $525-$550 range. My wife likes it because the controls operate like her 1911 (mag release, safety).

Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1241 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Very hard to choose a 9mm, there are so many good ones out there. I should know because I have five 9mms and counting. Anyway, most of the good ones have been mentioned above except the Hi Power but if I were choosing now I'd get the one I don't have - the Glock 19. I know some 19Gen4s have ejection problems but that will be worked out and the recent ones are much better than the first Gen4s. The Gen3 might be the safe choice but for $30 more you get the Gen4 and a third magazine in the box.

I'm high on the 19 because I have a 23Gen4 and love the overall gun. And I will be getting a 40 to 9mm conversion barrel for it.

But in the end handle and fire all 9mms you can and choose the brand and size that's right for you and for her.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek