Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > My on-going saga to purchase a gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default My on-going saga to purchase a gun

My goal is to buy a 9mm semi-automatic that I shoot well and that my wife is willing to shoot.

I started my quest with the GLOCK G17 and determined that the guns on my short-list were the G17, the S&W M&P9, and the SA XD(m)9. Since my 1st time shooting, I've shot the following:

Beretta 92FS
Beretta Px4 Storm
CZ P07
CZ 75 Compact
GLOCK G17
SA XDm9
SIG Sauer P226 (9mm)
SIG Sauer P229 (.40)
S&W M&P9
Taurus Millennium

The (Wife) Factor:
What I'm trying to avoid right out of the gate is having to buy 2 guns (one for me and one for her). I was also trying to get her off of .22 caliber. (After a trip where we only shot 9mm guns - 5 of them - it put her off of .22 and she is no longer intimidated by the 9mm.) YEAH!

The wifey is 5'3" and 115#. Her hands are on the small side, so grip size, muzzle flip, and wrist fatigue are all considerations when I'm taking her into account. As a result, she specifically hates the grip and weight distribution of the SIGs. She does however really like the 92FS and the XDm. The CZ-P07 would be 3rd for her.

The (Money-Is-No-Object) Factor:
If I take money and my wife out the the criteria then it would be either the P226 or 229 in 9mm and then get the wife whatever she fancies! But, unlike the Federal Government, I'm going to have to exercise some restraint here!

The (M) Factor:
The Beretta 92FS threw a wrench in my orignal plans to choose between the G17, the M&P, and the XDm. There were some things that I didn't like about the 92FS, but the added weight and reduced muzzle flip of an all metal gun, changed my outlook. I revised my quest with the hopes of falling in love with a $500-$600 all-metal, full-sized gun. The CZ was the leader in the club house. Then I shot the XDm (and it quickly extracted said wrench)...

The XDm fits my hand almost as well as the SIG. For a polymer gun it is on the heavy side, which is a plus in my book. And I was able to put 5 bullets through 1 (expanding) hole at 7 yrds. The wife has no objections to the gun as well!

I think it will be the XD(m) for me. Now, I just have to get a good price out of my LGS!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 06-14-2011 at 02:18 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Is it too late to throw another idea in the mix?

Have you looked at a S&W 5900 series? Pretty sweet little guns and they are ultra cheap now.

Smith & Wesson 5900 pistol series - imfdb :. guns in movies :. movie guns :. the internet movie firearms database

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 06-12-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Is it too late to throw another idea in the mix?

Have you looked at a S&W 5900 series? Pretty sweet little guns and they are ultra cheap now.

Smith & Wesson 5900 pistol series - imfdb :. guns in movies :. movie guns :. the internet movie firearms database

Ahhhhhhh! No more options! Make them stop! Can't make up mind! Must stop listenting to ppl on FTF!

Awesome site though.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I will say I love my XDM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also own a G17, it is a gen 4. I like the overall package but it will not cycle reliably. I did contact glock and I will not get into there P.O.S. customer service in your thread. All I will say is if you get a glock then make it a gen 3.

And oh ya the trigger on the XDM kicks the SH**T out of the glock trigger.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
I will say I love my XDM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also own a G17, it is a gen 4. I like the overall package but it will not cycle reliably. I did contact glock and I will not get into there P.O.S. customer service in your thread. All I will say is if you get a glock then make it a gen 3.

And oh ya the trigger on the XDM kicks the SH**T out of the glock trigger.
Don't gen3's have that whole "kaboom" issue though?

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 06-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2274 Times on 1360 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

With the spouse in the mix, there are some considerations that must be looked at.

My spouse does not like me to purchase things for her. She prefers to have the say so on her stuff (I will never buy her shoes or a purse. I always get the wrong ones.)

What does the wife feel comfortable with? How will she use it (range or self-defense)?

Just asking.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
With the spouse in the mix, there are some considerations that must be looked at.

My spouse does not like me to purchase things for her. She prefers to have the say so on her stuff (I will never buy her shoes or a purse. I always get the wrong ones.)

What does the wife feel comfortable with? How will she use it (range or self-defense)?

Just asking.
Agreed. Not buying the gun "for her". I'm just trying to take her into consideration with my 1st purchase (of what will likely be many).

The gun will be an HD gun with lots of range time. I want the gun to be something that my wife will enjoy using at the range and won't be apprehesive about in an HD situation, should it ever come to that.

All guns are compromises and handguns are a further compromise, and semi-automatic is a compromise, yet again. So, the act and idea of compromising should be par for the course and I don't see it as a negative, as long as you're making the best choice for your given compromise.

So, what I don't want to do is get a gun that she hates to hold, won't shoot for more than a handful of rounds, and can't accurately shoot and at the same time get something that feels great to me and that I shoot well.

All things being equal I like the SIGs the best, but their price and my wife's dislike for them rule them out.

To me, the XDm is 90% of what the P226 is at 60% of the price, and the wife likes it to boot. It's really a no-brainer at this point.

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 06-12-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5634 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
My goal is to buy a 9mm semi-automatic that I shoot well and that my wife is willing to shoot.

CZ P07
CZ 75 Compact

There were some things that I didn't like about the 92FS, but the added weight and reduced muzzle flip of an all metal gun, changed my outlook. I revised my quest with the hopes of falling in love with a $500-$600 all-metal, full-sized gun.
This makes me think Dan may be right about a 5906. IIRC, CDNN had them for right at $300, so it might be a budget friendly choice for you.

On the CZ, did you try one of the full-sized models with a steel frame? I love mine; it even came in a chick-friendly goldish color.

Nothing wrong with the Xd's though; i love my XD45 and my buddy's XD9 is a good shooter too.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 06-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Don't gen3's have that whole "kaboom" issue though?
I am not sure about that, I am sure that mine does not function reliably.

I would much rather have a firearm that has a 1/ 1000000 chance of KB than one that has a 1/5 chance of a jamb during crisis.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
This makes me think Dan may be right about a 5906. IIRC, CDNN had them for right at $300, so it might be a budget friendly choice for you.

On the CZ, did you try one of the full-sized models with a steel frame? I love mine; it even came in a chick-friendly goldish color.

Nothing wrong with the Xd's though; i love my XD45 and my buddy's XD9 is a good shooter too.
What is "CDNN"?

The only local range that carries CZ (that I know of) only had compact versions to rent. I really wanted to try the full-size. But I shot the smaller pistols and figured that I could extrapolate.

What I didn't like about both the 92FS and the CZ pistols was the smaller size of the slide, when compared to guns like the GLOCK, SIG, and XDm. In my mind's eye I want a big hunk of metal that I can grab indiscriminantly when racking the slide. To me the 92FS and CZ75-variants require more fine motor skills due to the size and shape of the slides (the Beretta has the added disadvantage of having the decocker's on the slide, which I found myself trying to avoid when chambering a round).

As for the 5906, is that still made? I'm not on that tight of a budget (but less money is less money). However, what am I giving up for the $300 savings?

My personal knocks on the 5906 (for me, given my needs - real or perceived):
  1. I believe it is no longer made.
  2. Not willing to buy used for my 1st gun as I don't have enough knowledge to tell good from bad.
  3. It has a magazine safety (don't like the idea of this).
  4. I have nowhere to rent/try this gun (this one is huge - I don't want my 1st gun to be one that I've never put rounds down range with).

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 06-12-2011 at 09:51 PM.