My girlfriend and her "Baby" - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

My girlfriend and her "Baby"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I don't know you, so i'm going to make sweeping generalizations, but I do see lots of posted by very well intending dads/boyfriends/husbands/etc. There is a common thread among them that since you love the woman in your life you are the best person to teach her shooting. This is not always the case. Choosing to own, shoot, and especially carry a gun is a very big decision, it can come with lots of emotions that are very different than a man would ever feel. To then have one of the men in your life influencing your technique, decisions regarding shooting, etc is sometimes overwhelming. But you men are being sweet and sharing something you love, so women tend to not say anything. I think this turns lots of women off from shooting (at least a lot of the women I talk to) Giving your woman the tools to research, train, and be sucessful on her own is priceless. Standing behind her suggesting how she grip her pistol...not so much. It can also be very intense to be the "new shooter" at a range with one on one focus on you.

All that being said my advice is to ASK her how she would like to become comfortable shooting.

a .22 rifle can't be beat for basics and fun cheap shooting, and a grip ball for strength.
Wow Jess, that's some of the best advice I've seen for awhile. Kind of like teaching your spouse to drive or to golf--it's always better to let someone else do that, at least initially. Guess it's just a guy thing--tough to look at it from the woman's perspective. Nice post!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 03-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
One of the things to try is to load her magazines for her and put in a snap-cap. You will know it is there, but she won't. Watch for her to get to it and see if she pulls the weapon.

I think thats a great idea. never thought of that.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well she's not rushed or anything at all, she just wants to make sure she is ready so she can get her concealed permit. She's wanting to go to the range all the time so she can get better. We actually just got back from the range and I will be telling you the story a little later on, it's a long one, not from the shooting but from the traveling adventure.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I don't know you, so i'm going to make sweeping generalizations, but I do see lots of posted by very well intending dads/boyfriends/husbands/etc. There is a common thread among them that since you love the woman in your life you are the best person to teach her shooting. This is not always the case. Choosing to own, shoot, and especially carry a gun is a very big decision, it can come with lots of emotions that are very different than a man would ever feel. To then have one of the men in your life influencing your technique, decisions regarding shooting, etc is sometimes overwhelming. But you men are being sweet and sharing something you love, so women tend to not say anything. I think this turns lots of women off from shooting (at least a lot of the women I talk to) Giving your woman the tools to research, train, and be sucessful on her own is priceless. Standing behind her suggesting how she grip her pistol...not so much. It can also be very intense to be the "new shooter" at a range with one on one focus on you.

All that being said my advice is to ASK her how she would like to become comfortable shooting.

a .22 rifle can't be beat for basics and fun cheap shooting, and a grip ball for strength.
I JUST came down out of the kitchen after attempting to shame my daughter into going shooting with me this Sunday. Basically, if she goes shooting, she gets new tires for her Miata. See, guys can be nice about it!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So we went out to the range, which is slightly off road across the West Virginia line. We figured all the snow and ice would be melted right? WRONG! We started in and ended up directly on ice facing down hill, so there was no backing up. We pressed on and eventually came to a place to turn around to try to go back up the hill, not happening. So we went down to the range to do some shooting while hoping someone would come. She did much better shooting out there, I think because she was more comfortable out there then in the indoor range. She said she felt more comfortable and overall her shots came up a bit. No one came after about 2 hours so we decided we had to walk out.

So I had my 1911 in my back and her baby eagle in my pocket as we walked our way through the middle of the woods. I stayed armed due to the fact of seeing large animal tracks along the trail we were walking down. (Looked like bobcat or small bear, dunno if bears would be out yet.) We finally got to the road and had to walk 5 miles to a garage that would be able to tow us up the icy hill.

All in all it was a heck of an adventure but i think we're gonna hafta stick to the indoor range at least untill the summer. All this in the name of shooting sports. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #16

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by EiteCombat View Post
The .22 and snap cap ideas are great ideas. The range we're going to is an open one so there is no rental of any kind. So I might try the snap-cap idea and see what she does. Boy will she be confused for a minute. lol
Snap cap is also a good tool for teaching the proper technique for clearing a fail to fire.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So taking your advice I've decided I need to add a .22 to my collection. Any advice on what is a good affordable .22? I've never really looked into 22's too much as I have always favored something with a bit more firepower, but this one is for her. My first handgun was a converted Remington 1861?? I think, reproduction. It was converted to .45 long colt. That thing packed a punch but since then I have gone large caliber and never looked back.

Any opinions on the Walther P22? or anything else for that matter would be helpful. Thanks

Old 03-13-2010, 03:16 AM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

If you're going low price, S&W has a model that's inexpensive and fun to shoot. Rugers cost a bit more, but are more reliable and less finicky about ammo. But they are a bit of a pain to disassemble.

If you are looking for a "trainer," something that is set up more like bigger defense pistols, look at the Walther and the Sig Mosquito. Personally, my Mosquito has been a disappointment, but a friend of mine has a newer one, and he has been very happy with it. I shot someone's Walther P22 at the range last weekend, and it was sweet! The ammo they had (American Eagle) wasn't feeding well, but the Federals I had (same company, go figure) ran through it flawlessly. I don't know how finicky they are with other brands.

There are plenty of good .22s out there, these are just the ones that I have experience with. I'm sure you'll get a lot more good advice and find something you will both enjoy shooting.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 03-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EiteCombat View Post
So taking your advice I've decided I need to add a .22 to my collection. Any advice on what is a good affordable .22? I've never really looked into 22's too much as I have always favored something with a bit more firepower, but this one is for her. My first handgun was a converted Remington 1861?? I think, reproduction. It was converted to .45 long colt. That thing packed a punch but since then I have gone large caliber and never looked back.

Any opinions on the Walther P22? or anything else for that matter would be helpful. Thanks
I just purchased a Walther P22 about a month ago I love it!!!! Great little gun to use. I payed 200 for mine in mint condition (fired about 20 times). Its a very good gun to shoot and practice with!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #20
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The best money you will ever spend will be professional instruction for someone new to firearms. If you find a good instructor they can teach the one you love in a far more objective manor than you can. I have been around firearms most my life and believed I should be able to teach those I love but I was too emotionaly invested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.