Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > my first sig sauer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Default my first sig sauer

I bought a brand new Sig P226 Elite in .40 cal on 1-23-2010, just went and shot 50 rounds of winchester 165 gr. FMJ this morning at a gravel pit , shooting gun free hand. I am DISAPPOINTED in the gun,so far. The slide won't lock back after either magazine has been emptied, empty shell casings go directly over my head or down my jacket, I had a few casings hit me in the forehead. The gun also hit low and to the right of bullseye at 20 feet away with fixed sights. I've always heard good things about Sig Sauer, and the gun feels good in my hand, and it is a very eye catching gun with rosewood grips and extended beavertail. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or would breaking in gun cure some of these ailments?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Are you a southpaw?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

no, I'm right handed

Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Interesting problem.

The slide won't lock back, and the brass is going straight over your head or straight back and down your shirt??

My first thought is are you limp wristing the gun at all? I don't mean any disrespect, I just don't know you and this was the first place my mind went.

A problem with the extractor could cause the brass angle, but I don't think that would cause your disconnect issues.

I have a Sig, not the same model it's a 228 in .40SW. I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER had a problem with the weapon. I carried that thing for the better part of a decade in all sorts of climates and it always performed.

One thing I can say about Sig, in our dealings with them, we haven't had any push back and they have always fixed or replaced what we sent them. Granted, this has been, maybe, a dozen or so weapons in 4 years, but they have been good to us.

I would be interested to see what the final solution is for both issues.

Please keep us informed.

JD

Old 01-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #5

Sorry you are having trouble. Is the gun doing this da, or sa? I have never heard of this out of a Sig. I can tell you where to get answers. Sigforum.com. There is a section on there where you can ask a sig armorer (Chris Orndorf) questions. Chances are, if you just do a search, you'll find answers. The 226 is an outstanding gun. Sig will fix any problem with the gun.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the info. on the forum, I'm going to check it out, I'm going to shoot it some more before I decide on what to do.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The slide not locking back is a serious issue and not something to wait until the gun breaks in. Especally if you plan on carring it as a PD weapon. Lots of guys died pulling the trigger on a slide forward empty auto-loader! Take the gun back and have them tell you why your new gun is screwing up!

Ok, I'm no Sig armorer but for the hot brass yellow shower I'd look at the ejector pressure. May need tuning. If you're strong right side its probably too tight. That or your breech face needs polishing.

Down and to the right, for strong right side is caused by grip tightening - where you tighten the grip before the shot breaks pulling the muzzle down and right. This is usually an unconscious contraction of the strong side bottom three fingers.

This tightening can be corrected with a slight change in your grip. I'm assuming you are shooting two handed?

Move your weak side hand up and keep it in front of the strong side and not under it! With this change also transfer your grip "squeeze pressure" over to the weak side hand (about 60% of the holding pressure).

Place your weak side thumb over your strong side thumb and capture it during shooting.

Now here's the secret, your first area of concentration is the front sight (of course) but also pay some attention to the asymmetrical application of pressure by allowing your strong side hand to relax. (When your trigger finger hand is tense, it screws up the entire hand geometry of the trigger pull.)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the advice Canebrake instead of squeezing the trigger I could very well have pulled it without realizing. As for the slide not locking back after empty mag. It's possible that the wood grips may need more relief under the slide stop maybe rubbing ever so slightly after the final round is shot. Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #9

I can't help you with the brass issue but I think I can with the slide failing to lock back.

I have been shooting the P226 for over a decade and have seen this happen often. It boils down to two issues: 1) grip, 2) lubrication:

1) If you shoot with a "thumbs forward" grip, pay attention to where your thumbs rest. If you are like me, as you get tired you will rest on the slide release...just a little pressure will keep the slide from locking back.

2) The 226 is a lubrication hog. When you are re-assembling after cleaning, put three good drops of lubrication on each rail, put the slide on, work it back and forth a couple of times, then wipe the excess. Since you have a new sig, the spring is extra strong, this will help. (I got these directions directly from sig).

Hope this helps

Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the help, I callled Sig and the rep. on the phone said place empty mag. in and rack the slide back until it catches and leave it open for awhile, Do the Sigs eject there shells at a sharper angle over shoulder than other semi-autos, it almost acts like a top eject when I shot it.