Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   My first semi auto (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/my-first-semi-auto-56631/)

martyd 01-30-2012 01:32 PM

My first semi auto

I want to get a semi auto just for the range. I have 38 & 357 in rev guns but no semi auto and that because I don't carry. I want to go to the range and shot off 10 to. 15 rounds then just put in a a full clip n do it again. It's two years now I been looking and I saved up the money n end up with a 6 shot rev. Not this time , the gun store has 600 cash money of mine and told him to hold it untill I fine a semi I want. I like the kimber 45 but it's money. I can save up and get it but do i realy need that kimber.Was told to get a glock. I want power n kick 45 cal. Is nice. I need fiber opt, with 56 years old eyes I can't see close. Having crimson laser is nice but fiber opt is ok. I need a full frame gun. I just held a ruger sp 101 357 mag and the handle is to small for me. Any help would be great. Price can be from 600 to 1200 thank you guys Marty d.

Olympus 01-30-2012 01:49 PM

You can add a fiber optic sight to just about any gun these days. You can also order a STI 1911 from Dawson's and add the their fiber optic package for the gun you choose. The STI Spartan would be a good first semi auto pistol.

DustyDawg48 01-30-2012 01:59 PM

The world is your oyster in .45 ACP pistol offerings these days. There are a ton of great 1911 manufacturers out there, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. If you can find one, the Ruger SR1911 is an incredible gun for around $600-ish, but finding them is the hard part. If you want to get away from the 1911, I am a huge fan of both the Glock 21 and the M&P45. The standard size Glock 21 is a bit of a wide-body but it's also one of my favorite guns to shoot. 13+1 in the G21 and 10+1 in the M&P45 which has actually become my new favorite pistol to carry/compete/shoot. Mine is an older version I traded for but is just a really good gun. Mine even has the thumb safety like the 1911 to boot. Lots out there for you; if you have the opportunity you need to find a few ranges that rent guns or hit up all your buddies and shoot what they have to narrow the choices down even further. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

mesinge2 01-30-2012 02:02 PM

The new Remington R1 Enhanced has Fiber Optic sights and comes NIB for about $720 here. This one is in my LGS:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...2/Misc/254.jpg

danf_fl 01-30-2012 02:54 PM

The 1911 is like a "starter" motorcycle from Triumph. You buy one and just may keep it as the main one.

darkknight-nyc 01-30-2012 07:40 PM

Find a range than rents handguns. You can test out which semi-auto and caliber you like. Tried the Glock 17 & 19, but eventually bought the Beretta 90-Two 9mm.

orangello 01-30-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkknight-nyc (Post 694176)
Find a range than rents handguns. You can test out which semi-auto and caliber you like.

Do this ^^^.

I looooove my Springfield XD45 with the 5" barrel. It has the polymer frame like a glock, but has the grip safety similar to a 1911; it cost me about $550 a couple of years ago. I understand they are less now that the XDm's are out. If you need another safety on it, i understand there is a model in 45acp with a manual safety. It holds 13+1. Mine has yet to fail in any way.

Realize that 9mm is much cheaper to plink with.

hardluk1 01-30-2012 10:39 PM

martyd You can change grips on revolvers to get what you want for a feel. Very easy to do. But for a pistol ,go to some gun shops and handle a some different models . Then most indoor ranges rent pistols to see how one feels to you. Maybe a shooting forum that as for your general area like our carolina forums is and find someone close to you that will let you try there pistol or pistols. Most of us will gladdly help someone with a firearm to shoot.

Hurryin' Hoosier 01-31-2012 01:26 AM

Don't be a "fellow-traveler", Marty. Check out a Beretta 92 series in 9MM Parabellum or a 96 in .40 calibre. They are super high-quality, sexy as Gina Lollobrigida, and each come with a dozen cannolis and an autographed picture of Benito Mussolini. Man up and say "no" to those look-alike, slab-sided .45s! ;)

Hurryin' Hoosier 01-31-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkknight-nyc (Post 694176)
Find a range than rents handguns. You can test out which semi-auto and caliber you like. Tried the Glock 17 & 19, but eventually bought the Beretta 90-Two 9mm.

There you go, Marty. Another lover of fine guns! :D