Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > My First Pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My First Pistol

I am getting ready to buy my first handgun. I am stuck between the Sig Sauer P250 Compact .40 or the Springfield XD(m) 40 Compact. I probably won't carry too often, so that isn't a huge point for me. Any input could be helpful. Please keep the "fanboying" to a minimum. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #2

Skip the 250. Go with the 2022. The XDM is a solid pistol as well, won't go wrong there. The S&W M&P is a nice weapon as well.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:13 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sigs are fine weapons and you won't go wrong there. Don't own one but have shot many. I personally own a xdm .45 and it's a great reliable gun that goes bang every time. Since I've had it not one ftf or fte and it feeds everything I put it.
I would also look at FNH. I have a FNP-9 that I love to shoot and it's pretty damn accurate right out of the box and has a nice trigger as well.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16883 Times on 9781 Posts
Likes Given: 44033

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHollo View Post
I am getting ready to buy my first handgun. I am stuck between the Sig Sauer P250 Compact .40 or the Springfield XD(m) 40 Compact. I probably won't carry too often, so that isn't a huge point for me. Any input could be helpful. Please keep the "fanboying" to a minimum. Thanks.
i am not knocking either but neither is a good choice for a first pistol. the 40 is very snappy in it's recoil and in a compact pistol the problem gets worse.

first choice for a pistol would be a 22 to learn on. next step a 9mm, because ammo for the 9mm is the cheapest centerfire pistol ammo. the 22 will allow you to learn shooting basics without the recoil and loud report of larger calibers. then move up to a 9mm, still gentle in recoil and ammo is cheap, allows for more shooting which in turn makes you a better shooter.

40 caliber ammo is expensive, in turn you don't get to shoot as much, so paractice will suffer, then you can't be near as good a shooter. a full size pistol when moving from a 22 pistol to a centerfire pistol is much better than the compact versions. compacts are more suited for concealed carry than just range shooting. plus most who carry and use them tend to have much more than it being their first pistol.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #5

Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i am not knocking either but neither is a good choice for a first pistol. the 40 is very snappy in it's recoil and in a compact pistol the problem gets worse.

first choice for a pistol would be a 22 to learn on. next step a 9mm, because ammo for the 9mm is the cheapest centerfire pistol ammo. the 22 will allow you to learn shooting basics without the recoil and loud report of larger calibers. then move up to a 9mm, still gentle in recoil and ammo is cheap, allows for more shooting which in turn makes you a better shooter.

40 caliber ammo is expensive, in turn you don't get to shoot as much, so paractice will suffer, then you can't be near as good a shooter. a full size pistol when moving from a 22 pistol to a centerfire pistol is much better than the compact versions. compacts are more suited for concealed carry than just range shooting. plus most who carry and use them tend to have much more than it being their first pistol.
That being said the p250 could be a good choice, I have one and it is a fine pistol. And with the conversion kits offered you can turn the p250 into a 22 a 9mm and a40 you can also change it to sub compact, compact, and full size all the while only have 1 serial number registered to you.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
That being said the p250 could be a good choice, I have one and it is a fine pistol. And with the conversion kits offered you can turn the p250 into a 22 a 9mm and a40 you can also change it to sub compact, compact, and full size all the while only have 1 serial number registered to you.
i respect your opinion and will stand by my original statement. not say the P250 is a bad gun nor any others listed, just not IMO the best choice for a first handgun, just as my original statement about the 40 caliber and compact pistols. i think a dedicated 22 pistol is a better starting pistol for a beginner or new to handguns. many bad habits come from people starting out with larger calibers rather than starting with a 22. just my observations over the years. i own a 22 pistol and still practice with it. the reason for 9mm as the next step, same reasons, cheapest centerfire ammo and low recoil. plus it can be used as a SD/HD pistol with the proper ammo. practice is the only way to get good with a pistol, and a 40 caliber is expensive to shoot. i own most o the pistol calibers and know what it costs to feed a 40, it ain't cheap. part of the reason it is being added into my reloading.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #7

Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i respect your opinion and will stand by my original statement. not say the P250 is a bad gun nor any others listed, just not IMO the best choice for a first handgun, just as my original statement about the 40 caliber and compact pistols. i think a dedicated 22 pistol is a better starting pistol for a beginner or new to handguns. many bad habits come from people starting out with larger calibers rather than starting with a 22. just my observations over the years. i own a 22 pistol and still practice with it. the reason for 9mm as the next step, same reasons, cheapest centerfire ammo and low recoil. plus it can be used as a SD/HD pistol with the proper ammo. practice is the only way to get good with a pistol, and a 40 caliber is expensive to shoot. i own most o the pistol calibers and know what it costs to feed a 40, it ain't cheap. part of the reason it is being added into my reloading.
Not disagreeing with you there, I meant he could start with the p250 in the 22 and the later convert to the 9mm and still have the same pistol and if he was dead set on trying the 40 same gun.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
Not disagreeing with you there, I meant he could start with the p250 in the 22 and the later convert to the 9mm and still have the same pistol and if he was dead set on trying the 40 same gun.
i see what you're saying and for some i agree this would be a good choice. but the OP started by saying it's his first pistol and he wants to start with a 40 caliber compact. not a wise choice IMO for a first pistol at all. my suggestion is to start with a dedicated 22 pistol and learn the basics first then move up. this is just my advice and suggestions. whether he does or doesn't isn't up to me or you. he can take our advice and start with a 22 and learn the basics and then move onto a larger caliber or he can go ahead and buy a 40 caliber and find out the hard way.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

I apologize for not making this clear earlier but, this will be the first pistol I will owe. I have fired a lot of different pistols and rifles. I was in the Marine Corps and I am now serving in the National Guard, plus many of my friends own firearms. So, I've handled a lot of different weapons. I have felt the kick on the .40, and it is pretty snappy, but in my opinion, its something I can handle. I appreciate the help.

Thanks to everyone for your help, even though my list has now expanded. If anyone else has suggestions I would love to hear them.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHollo View Post
I apologize for not making this clear earlier but, this will be the first pistol I will owe. I have fired a lot of different pistols and rifles. I was in the Marine Corps and I am now serving in the National Guard, plus many of my friends own firearms. So, I've handled a lot of different weapons. I have felt the kick on the .40, and it is pretty snappy, but in my opinion, its something I can handle. I appreciate the help.

Thanks to everyone for your help, even though my list has now expanded. If anyone else has suggestions I would love to hear them.
sorry about that, just was under the impression you were a beginner.

them my suggestion is this, i own the XDm40 myself, but a full size, and am very pleased with it, but try out many different pistols before buying as a pistol is more personal than a rifle or shotgun. now if you have tried out the XDm40, i can attest to the fact, it's a good pistol and so far mine has had no problems. to me, it has the best trigger of any poly gun i have ever shot and is fairly accurate. i personally like the the way it feels in my hand better than the Glock. good luck in your search and sorry about the confusion.