My first pistol - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > My first pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

One of the CPO Sigs would be a good find...Just sayin....

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #22

What would the difference between a 3" and a 4" barrel firearm, ballistic and range wise? I saw a springfield xd and I enjoyed it. Felt nice. The subcompact comes with an extended mag for a larger capacity and a better feeling grip while the regular mag makes it better to conceal. What is everyones view on the xd-9? What does the barrel difference change? How much of a difference?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #23

I have gone to several of my LGS and found some that I liked. They were the sig p229, m&p 9(or 9c), sa xd9(tactical and sc), and the g19. Out of them, what would be the most ideal for conceal, range, and possible tactical shooting?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #24

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Dude, i shot a rhino through the ear with a .40 one time and it fell over dead...didnt even kick
what game was that you were playing? I loove Dangerouse Hunts 08 too!!

Henry Lever action .22 rifle
Hi Point 995 TSFG 9mm Carbine
Mossberg 500A 18in 12 gauge
Kel Tec PMR 30 .22 WMR

Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #25

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

A gun is a tool, you can get a jack of all trades, master of none.
Or you can opt of a specialized tool.

A good concealable pistol is not gonna be my first choice for any tactical situation, but it will fill that role.

A competition pistol will not be my first choice to conceal carry.

etc etc.

I think you should get more than on. The only think I would recommend is getting interchangeable calibers. For the record, I think you'd do better using a .357 sig or 10mm or 9x25 dillon to hunt with over a .40. My favorite handgun right now is a Glock .45 for nightstand duty, and a 6" 10mm long slide for outdoor range fun and pig poking.

To answer your question about barrel lengths, the longer the barrel, the faster it gets your bullets going. I really doesn't have much bearing on the accuracy.

The faster your bullet goes, the less affect environmental factors have on its trajectory Ie gravity wind etc.
The faster your bullet goes, the more energy it has on impact.

If you are only shooting it at CQB distances, a long barrel isn't what you want.
If you plan on carrying your gun hidden under your belt 365 days a year. the smaller, the lighter you want it. Ounces matter.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #26

I decided to just use a 357 magnum while I am out hunting. To please by better half, I am just going to get one. She hates firearms and doesn't even want to see one or be near it. Carrying it was a big battle in itself. With today's loads, I could use a 9mm +p hp for defense which would be more powerful than a regular .40 round nose ammo. 9mm is also cheaper and better for my wallet. Should I look into getting a .40 and then get a .40-9mm conversions for it?

Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #27

How does a 357 sig compare to the rest?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #28

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshunsbergerjr View Post
What would the difference between a 3" and a 4" barrel firearm, ballistic and range wise? I saw a springfield xd and I enjoyed it. Felt nice. The subcompact comes with an extended mag for a larger capacity and a better feeling grip while the regular mag makes it better to conceal. What is everyones view on the xd-9? What does the barrel difference change? How much of a difference?
My first 40 cal pistol is a XDm 40 used it for my CCW license class, it now sits in storage for a potential SHTF scenario, with four 15 round mags it's good for pray and spray. My CCW carry weapon is a Stoeger Cougar 40. For out of the box accuracy the Stoeger beats the XDm40 hands down, due to it's rotary lock up system follow up shots are right on. Nothing wrong with the XDm, it's a high quality weapon for being a poly frame, it's just that I'd have to put hundreds of round through it to come close to what the Cougar will do for me with just a few boxes of ammo shot through it. The Cougar is the most accurate pistol I've owned besides a 6" barreled Ruger 22 pistol. The only other large caliber pistol that came close to the Cougar was a 1911 A1.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #29

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Here in S.W. Oregon the availability of 357 Sig could be considered scarce. It's possible I could get a 357 Sig cal. barrel for my Cougar since the Cougar was originally made by Beretta and my magazines are made for .40 S&W and 357 Sig. But in order to have enough ammo on hand I'd have to hand load. 40 S&W ammo is always on the shelves around here, probably because the police and sheriff departments use it in this area.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
357sig is not an ideal choice for a first pistol, nor for someone limited by a budget. They've got expensive appetites. Otherwise it's a fine caliber.