Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > My first pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My first pistol

I am looking for my first pistol. I hunt and I would like to conceal it also. I borrowed my uncles Sig P229 9mm and I fell in love with it. I have been looking at the Sig P250. I want to carry 9mm and have a 40 cal when I hunt. I am also on a small budget. What is everyones thought on this? What size frame should I get. Are there any other firearms that my fit my needs? Thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #2

Default Pistol

Sig is a damn good gun...But deffinatly go to your local gunshop and put a few others in you hand to see what size fits you the best...I personaly carry a Glock 23, its a midsize .40 cal. I just didnt like the subcompact cause my pinky finger hung off the bottom and the fullsize was just too big to have tucked in my waist line. Bottom line you can't go wrong with a glock...Go check out some of some torture test on youtube.

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."
- Larry Elder

Old 10-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I recommend you got to some local shops and check out their inventory. Some things to look for include how it feels in your hand, the trigger, features you're looking for/want, and caliber. My usual recommendation for a new shooter is to start out with a 9mm and see how it goes from there. For a new shooter I also recommend the Ruger SR9c, because it has several saftey features like the thumb saftey, magazine disconnect, and loaded chamber indicator. However you need to find what feels the best to you. For me it doesn't matter if I can't put my pinky on the grip, as a matter of fact I never use my pinky to grip something except for a rifle or shotgun.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMBIESLATER View Post
Sig is a damn good gun...But deffinatly go to your local gunshop and put a few others in you hand to see what size fits you the best...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
I recommend you got to some local shops and check out their inventory. Some things to look for include how it feels in your hand, the trigger, features you're looking for/want, and caliber. My usual recommendation for a new shooter is to start out with a 9mm and see how it goes from there. For a new shooter I also recommend the Ruger SR9c, because it has several saftey features like the thumb saftey, magazine disconnect, and loaded chamber indicator. However you need to find what feels the best to you.
Good advice as quoted by above.

You need to find the right fit from your new gun.

So, like nice breasts in your hands, you need to touch, hold, caress and feel some!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If you want to have both 9mm and 40sw in the same gun, it's tough to beat a Glock 23 with a $120 Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel.

Ideally (and probably eventually) you'll want separate guns for differing roles. My choice for a hunting BUG would probably be a 357mag revolver or a 10mm auto. The Glock 20 (10mm) is a popular bow hunting sidearm in these parts, as is the Ruger SP101 (357m).

The Sig P250 is not a gun I've been very impressed with. I'm not a huge Glock fan either. But usually when you're after a "jack of all trades" gun, it'll be the perfect fit for none of them.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #6

I looked at Glocks before but didn't care for the grip. It was a little small for me. With the new barrel, I could save some money this route. I could always buy a rubbery or larger grip for it. The least I have found a G23 was priced at $499.99 at buds. Anyone know of somewhere that can beat that? My local stores sell them for $600-700. The G23 is slightly smaller then the compact P250 which is what I like. I never knew about the barrel. I found one for under $100. Thank you. My local shop told me I had to buy a new slide, barrel, and spring if I wanted to convert it and he suggested I would be just better off getting two pistols. I am currently borrowing a 357 mag from someone for when I go hunting. Just wanting my own pistol, which I think pretty much everyone would. Lol.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #7
Sao

Probably not what you want but you may be able to find one on an auction site I got my glock 23 gen 2 on gunbroker for 300 then with all the fees and taxes came around 350 to 375 did some of my own stipling, with a messed up soldering iron.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshunsbergerjr View Post
I looked at Glocks before but didn't care for the grip. It was a little small for me. With the new barrel, I could save some money this route. I could always buy a rubbery or larger grip for it. The least I have found a G23 was priced at $499.99 at buds. Anyone know of somewhere that can beat that? My local stores sell them for $600-700. The G23 is slightly smaller then the compact P250 which is what I like. I never knew about the barrel. I found one for under $100. Thank you. My local shop told me I had to buy a new slide, barrel, and spring if I wanted to convert it and he suggested I would be just better off getting two pistols. I am currently borrowing a 357 mag from someone for when I go hunting. Just wanting my own pistol, which I think pretty much everyone would. Lol.
Ideally in a Glock 23 40/9 conversion, you would purchase additional 9mm (G19) mags. But for the most part the 40sw mags seem to cycle through 9mm rounds just fine.

You will not need a new slide. The 40-9 conversion barrel alone addresses all spacing issues, and the G19 and G23 slides and frames are otherwise the same.

Go to your local gun stores and make a reasonable offer. $525-550 is reasonable for a new basic Glock 23. Give them a chance to receive your business. If they're unwilling to come down from $600+, check out locally available (private sale) used guns...you might find one for well under $500. And then Bud's is always an option. They will have a list of FFLs in your area, whom the transfer can be directed through.

Also keep in mind that if you do any work that falls under the vast umbrella of "homeland security" (LE, fire, security, etc...even as a volunteer), there may be discounts available to you.

I can't believe I'm recommending a Glock. But honestly, it may be the best fit for your criteria.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5693 Times on 3341 Posts
Likes Given: 4847

Why would you want a .40sw for hunting?

I could see carrying a .357 or maybe 10mm auto for hogs and such, but why .40sw in particular? I mean, i am assuming you are talking about a defensive sidearm for use in conjunction with a rifle or shotgun.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #10

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Why would you want a .40sw for hunting?

I could see carrying a .357 or maybe 10mm auto for hogs and such, but why .40sw in particular? I mean, i am assuming you are talking about a defensive sidearm for use in conjunction with a rifle or shotgun.
Dude, i shot a rhino through the ear with a .40 one time and it fell over dead...didnt even kick

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 10-31-2011 at 10:21 PM.