Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   My first handgun; Ruger LC9 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/my-first-handgun-ruger-lc9-53271/)

Coach50 12-09-2011 04:42 PM

My first handgun; Ruger LC9

Yesterday I purchased my very first handgun, it's a Ruger LC9. I've been waiting and watching for a good buy on several different handguns and yesterday I found one. Part of the reason I decided to go with the Ruger LC9 is because I'm going to try and obtain a CCW her in Sacramento, CA. I realize that receiving a CCW is next to impossible here but I'm going to give it a try anyway. Heck, all they can say is no, right?

yogiboobooranger 12-09-2011 04:52 PM

The Ruger LC9 is a good CCW gun. It can be pocketable if you so desire. Is super for IWB carry as well. Good luck on getting your CCW license. Take the gun out and shoot it, shoot it, and shoot it. Use many varieties of ammo, and find the ammo that works best in your gun and hits where you aim. A good personal defense load is Federal +P+ 115 grain JHP. I found that this ammo shoots where I want it consistently and is highly rated for self defense. It was at one time only available to police. Again, good choice for a gun.

Coach50 12-09-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogiboobooranger (Post 647110)
The Ruger LC9 is a good CCW gun. It can be pocketable if you so desire. Is super for IWB carry as well. Good luck on getting your CCW license. Take the gun out and shoot it, shoot it, and shoot it. Use many varieties of ammo, and find the ammo that works best in your gun and hits where you aim. A good personal defense load is Federal +P+ 115 grain JHP. I found that this ammo shoots where I want it consistently and is highly rated for self defense. It was at one time only available to police. Again, good choice for a gun.

yogibooranger - Thank you for your input and I intend to take your advice about taking it out and shooting it a lot. I really appreciate the information regarding the Federal +P+115 grain JHP ammo as well.

IWB carry - I'm sorry but I don't know what that is. Please explain for me.

G30USMC 12-09-2011 05:32 PM

IWB is inside the waistband!

jerry12 12-09-2011 11:59 PM

I carry the LC9 for my conceal carry great little gun.

Coach50 12-10-2011 12:14 AM

FYI - Since I'm in the waiting period and can't get my Ruger LC9 until December 19th I decided to look up the owners handbook online at Ruger and found out that they say not to use +P ammunition at all. Pages 11 and 12 say the LC9 is designed for regular 9mm cartridges. It also says that it will shoot +P ammunition but it will shorten the life of the pistol and that it should not be used.

Firearms4ever 12-10-2011 12:19 AM

I like to carry Speer Gold Dot hollow points in 147grain 9mm for my Ruger SR9c. Congratulations on a great purchase!

yogiboobooranger 12-10-2011 11:33 AM

Hey Coach50, even though the manual says not to use +P ammunition because it will shorten the life of the gun, it will not shorten the life enough not to use it. Remember, I said to find a good personal defense round for carry. I said practice, practice, practice with your gun and learn where it shoots with various ammo manufacturers. So with that, when you get your gun, try all kinds of ammo to see what it likes!
Also try the +P ammo as well. You will know within 50-100 rounds whether your gun likes this ammo and where it hits on a target say out to 15-20 feet. Then carry that ammo for defense purposes only..don't use it for range drills and target practice on a continuous basis. Winchester white box jacketed ball ammo is for that. Besides, the LC9 is not a target or fun gun to use at the range. It is meant for self defense, CCW carry, or a backup gun. If you want a range gun, get an SR9 or SR9C. I have over 2000 rounds through my LC9, and half of them are +P rounds. My gun is as tight as it was when new, and will shoot many more thousands of rounds before it goes bad. I know where it shoots, how it handles, and only take it out once in a while to the range just to stay familiar with it. For just range practice, I use my SR series Rugers for that purpose. Again, Good Luck and stay safe!!

Coach50 12-10-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogiboobooranger (Post 647709)
Hey Coach50, even though the manual says not to use +P ammunition because it will shorten the life of the gun, it will not shorten the life enough not to use it. Remember, I said to find a good personal defense round for carry. I said practice, practice, practice with your gun and learn where it shoots with various ammo manufacturers. So with that, when you get your gun, try all kinds of ammo to see what it likes!
Also try the +P ammo as well. You will know within 50-100 rounds whether your gun likes this ammo and where it hits on a target say out to 15-20 feet. Then carry that ammo for defense purposes only..don't use it for range drills and target practice on a continuous basis. Winchester white box jacketed ball ammo is for that. Besides, the LC9 is not a target or fun gun to use at the range. It is meant for self defense, CCW carry, or a backup gun. If you want a range gun, get an SR9 or SR9C. I have over 2000 rounds through my LC9, and half of them are +P rounds. My gun is as tight as it was when new, and will shoot many more thousands of rounds before it goes bad. I know where it shoots, how it handles, and only take it out once in a while to the range just to stay familiar with it. For just range practice, I use my SR series Rugers for that purpose. Again, Good Luck and stay safe!!

yogiboobooranger - I understand what you're saying now and thanks for that tip. I can see I have much to learn.